NC State 2015

scarvesandcardigans

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be starting the MStats program starting Summer Session II. If anyone is looking for a roomate near campus (preferably walking distance) let me know. I'll be at the orientation Monday too.

Edited by RyanDickerson

• 1 month later...

I'll be studying Spanish and linguistics! I'm super excited. Have you visited yet?

The linguistics faculty is great. I took a class with Walt Wolfram last year and it was great.

Welcome, all! I'll be in my second year this fall (and live locally).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, WriteAndKnit just posted this in the Raleigh/Durham/CH thread:

Basically about staying on the watch for someone who hangs out near campus, looks like around Avent Ferry/Hillsborough. Here's a news report w/ his info: http://myfox8.com/2014/04/08/man-attacks-robs-nc-state-student-for-74-cents/ 

I have never seen him but fingers crossed that none of us do.

I forgot about this thread!

Basically, most of the homeless folks in Raleigh are harmless, but this one tends to be aggressive -- and he stays just off campus most of the time, so campus police can't do much. 

On a happier note, it's worth making an appearance at Packapalooza -- at the very least, the massage therapists from student health tend to have free 15-minute chair massages. :)

Has anyone found NC State's Graduate Student Plan confusing? I got accepted a 19k research assistantship and got my apartment setup in Cary recently. But registering this late and making sure my Graduate Student Plan is all setup is frustrating to handle. On the Graduate Student Plan I only have to pay in-state tuition but they haven't changed my bill to that yet. Did anyone get a package to help you through this because I feel I am just in the dark on this. Not sure whats the dealine is, but fall tuition is due 7/31.

Just got that to figure that out and need to buy a new car to drive up there...basically bringing only what fits in my car lol (driving from Texas).

Has anyone found NC State's Graduate Student Plan confusing? I got accepted a 19k research assistantship and got my apartment setup in Cary recently. But registering this late and making sure my Graduate Student Plan is all setup is frustrating to handle. On the Graduate Student Plan I only have to pay in-state tuition but they haven't changed my bill to that yet. Did anyone get a package to help you through this because I feel I am just in the dark on this. Not sure whats the dealine is, but fall tuition is due 7/31.

Just got that to figure that out and need to buy a new car to drive up there...basically bringing only what fits in my car lol (driving from Texas).

Heya, my program coordinator sent out an email re: this just a few days ago. Your department should be sending a notice to cashiers letting them know about whatever support package and status you'll be maintaining and that should be reflected fairly soon.

On a side note, if we are receiving a support plan that doesn't cover student fees, when will those have to be paid by?

Heya, my program coordinator sent out an email re: this just a few days ago. Your department should be sending a notice to cashiers letting them know about whatever support package and status you'll be maintaining and that should be reflected fairly soon.

On a side note, if we are receiving a support plan that doesn't cover student fees, when will those have to be paid by?

Thanks for the info. My program coordinator hasn't answered my emails in the past week. My guess would be all tuition fees are due July 31st (except if on payment plan). My understanding is if you don't pay all fees then they kick you out of your classes and you have to pay a late registration fee.

My advisor informed my that if you log in to MyPack, go to the For Students tab at the top, and then Academics > Enrollment Services > Holds, there should be a hold listed as Deferred Payment Deadline (or something like that) from the Cashier's Office which informs the Accounting and Finances departments that you should be covered by university funding, and that they will take care of paying tuition. So if you see that, it means they are taking care of you! You only have to worry about paying student fees (avg ~$1,200 total: $15 in campus security, $217 Ed & Tech, $953 in miscellaneous fees, and $24 for the graduate student orientation fee) out of your own pocket, or by other means other than the GSSP, by July 31st, otherwise yep, late fee and you have to get into the courses again. PS Texan_Air welcome to the thread!

Edited by scarvesandcardigans

My advisor informed my that if you log in to MyPack, go to the For Students tab at the top, and then Academics > Enrollment Services > Holds, there should be a hold listed as Deferred Payment Deadline (or something like that) from the Cashier's Office which informs the Accounting and Finances departments that you should be covered by university funding, and that they will take care of paying tuition. So if you see that, it means they are taking care of you! You only have to worry about paying student fees (avg ~$1,200 total: $15 in campus security, $217 Ed & Tech, $953 in miscellaneous fees, and $24 for the graduate student orientation fee) out of your own pocket, or by other means other than the GSSP, by July 31st, otherwise yep, late fee and you have to get into the courses again. PS Texan_Air welcome to the thread!

Okay perfect! Thanks for the info -- didn't know about the hold tab before and just found out that I have an extension to Aug 24 since I'm coming in as a new international student. On that note, the Canadian dollar could not be weaker right now. Stuff is going to be extra expensive until I start getting paid for my TAship!

There's a billing calendar on the Cashier's website (http://www.fis.ncsu.edu/cashier/billing/default.asp), but it's not particularly straightforward. The statement I found on MyPack indicates that 31 July is a payment due date. (If you're in the student center, the third block down is Finances; go to My Student Account.)

Can anyone speak on the payment schedule for Graduate Assistants? Research, TA, etc.? 

The basic information about getting paid is here: http://www.ncsu.edu/grad/faculty-and-staff/grad-assistants.html#e3

And the biweekly pay schedule is here: http://www.ncsu.edu/human_resources/payroll/pdfs/BWPyrlSch2016.pdf(The yellow column is the actual date that biweekly paychecks deposit). 

The basic information about getting paid is here: http://www.ncsu.edu/grad/faculty-and-staff/grad-assistants.html#e3

And the biweekly pay schedule is here: http://www.ncsu.edu/human_resources/payroll/pdfs/BWPyrlSch2016.pdf(The yellow column is the actual date that biweekly paychecks deposit). 

You are so helpful to us, thank you so much!!

So if I'm understanding the biweekly pay schedule correctly, and assuming that GTAs don't start duties until classes begin (or around that time), then their first paychecks won't be coming in until the 11th of September? 

Again, thanks! I have really appreciated your knowledge across the various NC/Triangle area threads. :) 

Oh, of course!  It's rough moving to a new place even when you do have information.

I would bet on 25 September, since pay information takes time to go through. Check with your department's admin people to be sure, though. (My job in the military was payroll/travel pay, so my initial assumption is based on that.)

Oh, of course!  It's rough moving to a new place even when you do have information.

I would bet on 25 September, since pay information takes time to go through. Check with your department's admin people to be sure, though. (My job in the military was payroll/travel pay, so my initial assumption is based on that.)

Yeah I was planning on asking my department soon, they are pretty good about knowing the ins and outs of getting grad students all squared away. At least, for the nit-picky stuff we might not be able to find answers to here. I'm glad that I'm finding this out now because I was under the assumption that grad students start getting paid before August ends! I feel like State is a separate entity now that I'm a student. I lived in Cary all my life but now I feel like a stranger because there's so much to learn!  :P