Harvard vs. Johns Hopkins (Master)

Sabrosura

So I am in the extremely fortunate position of having to decide between an MSPH at Johns Hopkins (MSPH is what JHU calls their 2-year MPH program, which consists of courses the first year and a field placement the second year) in the International Health department--Human Nutrition concentration, and a Master of Science (MSc) at Harvard in the Epidemiology Department--Nutritional Epidemiology concentration (the admission offer is for the Epi department so I can choose a different concentration as well). The main difference between the two degrees is that JHU's MSPH is a professional degree while Harvard is a more research oriented degree. However this distinction does not really seem to me to affect job prospects after graduation and refers more to the fact that Harvard's degree requires a thesis, with all that entails, while JHU's does not. My undergrad professors urge me to choose Harvard as besides the superior training, a Harvard degree will open a lot more doors and career opportunities. That is my impression as well, however I want to do my due diligence as thoroughly as possible and as such hope to hear from others who have had direct experience with one or both of these schools or have faced a similar decision.

For reference, below are the relevant websites of the two programs:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/epidemiology/prospective-students/sm2/

http://www.jhsph.edu/departments/international-health/academic-programs/human-nutrition/

Thank you and good luck with the big decision, everyone!

First, congrats!  Second, go to Harvard.  I learned with my master's that it doesn't matter what program ranks are, employers mostly just look at the name of the school.  JHU has an amazing program MPH, but the degree doesn't say Harvard.

I am in a similar boat!  Which is a great place to be I suppose, but it's a very tough choice.  I'm curious...why do you think Harvard offers superior training?  I am personally leaning towards Hopkins at the moment.

I am in a similar boat!  Which is a great place to be I suppose, but it's a very tough choice.  I'm curious...why do you think Harvard offers superior training?  I am personally leaning towards Hopkins at the moment.

Two reasons:

1. Given Hopkins' larger program size and greater number of departments, it has larger class sizes and less faculty attention in the core courses (which overlap for many/most of the departments). A Harvard, class size is much smaller.

2. Quoting one of my professors (re: Harvard): the sheer volume of surrounding medical research: all the hospitals with Harvard Medical School, the Broad Institute, Dana Farber, Whitehead Institute, etc.

I have also heard--though this is anecdotal--that Hopkins does not do a very good job regarding career services.

The other consideration, though not as important, is the location--while the Hopkins campus area is certainly safe, Baltimore as a whole is not and public transportation is also lacking so you have to secure an apartment along the Hopkins shuttle route if you don't have a car. Boston is not only safer but it is completely livable without a car, not to mention the fact that the sheer amount of research, medical and higher education institutions in Boston means much better networking/job opportunities. Again, location is not a top consideration for me, but it certainly strengthens Harvard's case. I could deal with Baltimore for a couple of years (as I will be doing a Master's), but I see that you are going for a PhD, personally I'd find it pretty hard to live in a place like Baltimore for 5 years. (I say this having lived in NYC for the past 6 years :) )

Regarding the name recognition, I think the idea that the Harvard name weighs a lot more (despite JHU being ranked the top school) is true, especially internationally. I grew up abroad and other than Harvard, Yale and Stanford, most people know very little about other top schools. Of course, in a domestic organization, I assume a JHU degree will be very well received. (I will most likely pursue international work.)

P.S. From what I know from my PhD friends, I think that for a PhD program the decision of where to go depends a lot more on the specific advisor you would have in each program, and other faculty you anticipate working closely with. If I were going for a PhD, that would be my number 1 decision factor given the choice between two top schools.

Edited by Sabrosura

I don't think you can go wrong here. If one is giving you significantly more funding, I'd choose that one. I'd also probably choose Harvard over Hopkins if you plan on working abroad. 

Two reasons:

1. Given Hopkins' larger program size and greater number of departments, it has larger class sizes and less faculty attention in the core courses (which overlap for many/most of the departments). A Harvard, class size is much smaller.

2. Quoting one of my professors (re: Harvard): the sheer volume of surrounding medical research: all the hospitals with Harvard Medical School, the Broad Institute, Dana Farber, Whitehead Institute, etc.

I have also heard--though this is anecdotal--that Hopkins does not do a very good job regarding career services.

The other consideration, though not as important, is the location--while the Hopkins campus area is certainly safe, Baltimore as a whole is not and public transportation is also lacking so you have to secure an apartment along the Hopkins shuttle route if you don't have a car. Boston is not only safer but it is completely livable without a car, not to mention the fact that the sheer amount of research, medical and higher education institutions in Boston means much better networking/job opportunities. Again, location is not a top consideration for me, but it certainly strengthens Harvard's case. I could deal with Baltimore for a couple of years (as I will be doing a Master's), but I see that you are going for a PhD, personally I'd find it pretty hard to live in a place like Baltimore for 5 years. (I say this having lived in NYC for the past 6 years :) )

Regarding the name recognition, I think the idea that the Harvard name weighs a lot more (despite JHU being ranked the top school) is true, especially internationally. I grew up abroad and other than Harvard, Yale and Stanford, most people know very little about other top schools. Of course, in a domestic organization, I assume a JHU degree will be very well received. (I will most likely pursue international work.)

P.S. From what I know from my PhD friends, I think that for a PhD program the decision of where to go depends a lot more on the specific advisor you would have in each program, and other faculty you anticipate working closely with. If I were going for a PhD, that would be my number 1 decision factor given the choice between two top schools.

If my goal was to get an MD afterward, what would be your suggestion?

Hi I'm an mph JHU grad but I do know a thing or two about the msph considering we shared many classes.

First, JHU is number 1 because they actually do save lives millions at a time! Research topics are always hot and they have millions of resources for research, work, and networking.

Second, JHU does open doors and it has opened several for me (I'm an international student btw).

Three, the msph is quite a tough program but very rich in knowledge and skills. You will be exposed to an abundant amount of renowned scientists from around the world. You will actually meet those people too.

Fourth, medical history was created at Hopkins.

Fifth, hopkins people are humble. They will also stand by your side to help you achieve your goals.

Sixth, baltimore is actually great and I love it!

Last but not least, you will not regret JHU!

Good luck!

If my goal was to get an MD afterward, what would be your suggestion?

HOPKINS, hands down.

My husband is a physician, and Johns Hopkins is synonymous with medicine! Just like nabualh1 said above, JHU is the place to be for medicine. I just spoke to a Harvard MD alum and she said the same thing. That being said, you will not go wrong. So go with your gut and CONGRATULATIONS!

HOPKINS, hands down.

My husband is a physician, and Johns Hopkins is synonymous with medicine! Just like nabualh1 said above, JHU is the place to be for medicine. I just spoke to a Harvard MD alum and she said the same thing. That being said, you will not go wrong. So go with your gut and CONGRATULATIONS!

Hi I'm an mph JHU grad but I do know a thing or two about the msph considering we shared many classes.
First, JHU is number 1 because they actually do save lives millions at a time! Research topics are always hot and they have millions of resources for research, work, and networking.

Second, JHU does open doors and it has opened several for me (I'm an international student btw).

Three, the msph is quite a tough program but very rich in knowledge and skills. You will be exposed to an abundant amount of renowned scientists from around the world. You will actually meet those people too.

Fourth, medical history was created at Hopkins.

Fifth, hopkins people are humble. They will also stand by your side to help you achieve your goals.

Sixth, baltimore is actually great and I love it!

Last but not least, you will not regret JHU!

Good luck!

Thanks for your comments! I wish Harvard and JHU offered a joint degree..! 

Nabualh1, could you play the devil's advocate for a second and tell me why you might advise (a Master's student) AGAINST going to Hopkins? In other words, what were the less-than-positive things you observed while you were there? (I'd ask the same about Harvard if there were any Harvard grads here.)

Thanks!

Edited by Sabrosura

Well I just realized how biased I am towards hopkins in my previous comment lol but yes I will try to point out negatives about my mph year.

1. The mph is an 11 month program so it was intense all year but that doesn't apply to the msph where you have 2 years to finish up.

2. Some courses are fast paced so you will have to keep up like biostats and epi courses.

3. East baltimore is not the best place to be in but it has improved a lot. Of course Boston is more appealing to live in.

4. Baltimore is not a cheap city as people would expect.

And that's it:)

I can give you more positives lol

1. Courses here are gigantic. It's like you are in w candy shop with so many choices and varieties. Browse the courses online and you'll see what I mean.

2. Assessments are fair whether papers, exams, or group projects.

3. People here know what they are talking about so you will not hear any non sense and waste your time.

4. People here are intelligent and nerdy but cool and fun!

5. The school has several student organizations and social events that will be memorable.

6. Professors and instructors here are approachable.

JHU is the number 1 public health school in the world and it has been like that for years. They are not wanna-be s! They are number 1 because they can (bottom line).

Thanks Nabualh1. 

However I see (from the Harvard thread) that you have applied for a PhD at Harvard?

I've been digging up information on other sites and other pros for Harvard seem to be the ability to cross-register at the other graduate schools (Business School, Law School etc.) and the fact that they are the best at quantitative areas (Epi, Biostats), which are where the most job demand is (my Harvard offer is in the Epi department).

I am really torn about what to do. I think next step is to contact the respective departments and let them try to convince me :)

I don't think a Harvard degree will necessarily open more doors in public health than a Johns Hopkins degree. They have about equal reputation in our field. Harvard might have an edge if you wanted to leave the field of public health and/or do something prestige-driven like consulting. No, employers don't look at program rankings; but they do think about the reputation of a specific program in the field and JHU is widely known as a leader in health and medicine.

JHU is like, synonymous with medicine - tons of hospitals and health coalitions associated with Hopkins too. And it's the leader in the world for health and science funding, according to the NSF. I have a couple of friends who got their PhDs at Hopkins; one is actually headed to start a faculty position at Harvard in the fall. I also don't think smaller class sizes, in graduate school, necessarily translates to superior training (just like it doesn't in college - I wouldn't say that Eastern Tennessee State University has superior training to Columbia, even though the class sizes at ETSU are smaller on average).

You really can't go wrong here. One way to narrow it down is to decide whether you'd rather have a degree in epi or a degree in international health. A lot of jobs I've seen really ask for someone with a degree in epidemiology.

Sabrosura....

I actually applied to the DrPH at Harvard because I do think it's a unique program they have. However, I also applied to the DrPH at Hopkins in health policy and got accepted last week so most probably I'm still gonna be at Hopkins (even though I think it's better to have different exposure regardless of what school you are going to but my heart is always set at Hopkins lol).

Plus Harvard still have not replied?

• 5 years later...

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I am in a similar boat this year of choosing between Harvard and Johns Hopkins for the MPH program. Both seem like great school with the biggest difference being Hopkins is an 11 month program and Harvard is 3-4 semesters long (plus a summer internship). I actually was planning on going to Hopkins, but recently got off the wait list at Harvard. With everything happening with COVID-19, Hopkins has decided to make their first term of the program online only, which I understand, but is a big bummer to me. This makes me want to chose Harvard for the reason that they start in the fall instead of the summer so there is less likely of a chance any of the classes will be made remote. Also now, thinking a 2 year year program might now be so bad to let the economy bounce back when looking for a job 2 year from now instead of 1 when I graduate. I am asking for any insights to help with my choice! THANKS!