UNC Chapel Hill 2015

TheCrow

I am seriously considering it, just looking at what kind of funding they offer. I'm trying to decide between Columbia and UNC, so far UNC is winning. What program did you get in for? I got into the MPH program.

Hey guys, I also got accepted into UNC. I have not heard back from any other schools yet, but I will most likely (99%) accept UNC's offer. Like stated, I am just waiting for funding... Apparently they send out a packet for admitted students which describe the funding they will receive. Hopefully we will receive it soon!

Do you know if there is a Facebook yet?

Hey guys, I also got accepted into UNC. I have not heard back from any other schools yet, but I will most likely (99%) accept UNC's offer. Like stated, I am just waiting for funding... Apparently they send out a packet for admitted students which describe the funding they will receive. Hopefully we will receive it soon!

Do you know if there is a Facebook yet?

I just received a response from UNC that stated funding/aid offers will be going out this week and next. be on the lookout!

I am an international student and 99.99% sure of attending UNC this fall. I will be starting my PhD in the school of dentistry. I have been offered the Royster Society fellowship for five years. I know UNC is the best place for me as the school I am admitted too enjoys great repute. Meanwhile I am just concerned about the cost of living in Chapel Hill as it seems like it is above the state average. Any thoughts?

Java008 (this thread might be worth looking at and asking that question):

This is from their website (cost of living page which takes data from the economic research institute): http://gradschool.unc.edu/funding/costofliving.html

I'm also almost certain to accept my offer from UNC as well (I'm an international student as well). I am guessing this page will heat up after April 15!

Edited by Gambaosaka1

actually i dont trust their cost of living calculator much. Apparently it shows Ann Arbor is a very expensive town which I have heard is otherwise! I was offered equal amount of funding from ann arbor but I declined it in favor of UNC. I am hoping my department would top up the offer with a supplement. I am especially concerned during the service year when they start deducting proper tax. I think a decent apartment with a private bed and bath will not cost less than 700-800. 

I used the eri website which shows the figures being much closer now that you mention it (Ann Arbor being 111% of the national norm as opposed to 119% according to that page), although it still shows CH being slightly cheaper.

http://www.erieri.com/CareerPlanning/Student-Cost-of-Living#appstart

Good luck with getting them to top up your offer! Would be great if it works.

I know mine is a standard offer and am sure they will not countenance adding any more to it.

Edited by Gambaosaka1

I will be going there for PhD Biostat (they sent out funding today).  I have found the average price for decent places to be in the 500s-600 range (per month, with roommates) so you can definitely find plenty of quality of places in that range, currently looking for roommates to find a place.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone started looking for housing yet? Or is it till too early to look?

We're renting a house so it's a bit different cause no roommate share but we've already preleased where we are moving. My husband is transferring his job in June and we're moving early to get used to the area and tour schools for our daughter.

But a lot of places are already preleasing for fall.

a question for the international students here. Any word on the I-20? Do you see an update in your status in the application?

Still waiting for mine too! There have been no updates on my application and its been almost a month since I accepted the offer and paid my deposit. 

Still waiting for mine too! There have been no updates on my application and its been almost a month since I accepted the offer and paid my deposit. 

a question for the international students here. Any word on the I-20? Do you see an update in your status in the application?

Same here. Assuming that goes out post April 15 once they've sorted out who exactly is coming in?

How long are you giving yourselves to get a US visa?

Same here. Assuming that goes out post April 15 once they've sorted out who exactly is coming in?

How long are you giving yourselves to get a US visa?

I'm gonna apply in June just because I'll feel better knowing its sorted. Would have done it earlier but I have to renew my passport next month. Processing here only takes a day or two. 2-3 days max to get an appointment at the embassy once your form is filled and submitted, and you get the visa the day after the interview. 

I'm gonna apply in June just because I'll feel better knowing its sorted. Would have done it earlier but I have to renew my passport next month. Processing here only takes a day or two. 2-3 days max to get an appointment at the embassy once your form is filled and submitted, and you get the visa the day after the interview. 

Same here. I see that the ISSS has received my documents and prof of admission. I am waiting for the I-20. Once the visa matter is settled hopefully in may, i will search for roommate and place to live for at least first year!

Same here. I see that the ISSS has received my documents and prof of admission. I am waiting for the I-20. Once the visa matter is settled hopefully in may, i will search for roommate and place to live for at least first year!

Yeah, I'm heading back early May to sort that out. A bit worried their London embassy will be busy.

I am an international applicant, too. I have been accepted to MHA program at the UNC, Chapel Hill.

Anyone interested in connecting? Any facebook group or other group that any of you aware of?

Hey Everyone! I will be attending UNC in the fall and I need roommates. I'm currently serving in the US Peace Corps, and do not have stable internet often (I can't Skype either). I won't be able to visit the university or the States before school starts. 

Anyone interested in roommates, please let me know. I want to live with incoming graduates.

Thanks

I am an international applicant, too. I have been accepted to MHA program at the UNC, Chapel Hill.

Anyone interested in connecting? Any facebook group or other group that any of you aware of?

The MCH department has one started up for 2015 new students but I'm not sure if there is one for all new students. Would be good to have one though.