UC Berkeley Goldman MPP 2015

naso

@nelag 

There have been rejections. Someone posted one up. Still, I wouldn't trust too much on the search results either because this forum is a little biased (at the end of the day, the ones who post in here are most of the time the "intense" kind of people who would likely invest time on their application). 

If you are right, I would feel even more dissapointed on Berkeley. I'm an economist and I have designed experiments and I believe in them, but we are not lab rats. In whatever angle you try to see it, this situation is just wrong in so many levels. So many other schools are just so thoughtful that rejection doesn't fell the way its feeling with Berkeley. 

Good luck to us all!! :)

I saw a single Goldman school rejection for a *PHD* in public policy, but I didn't see a single MA rejection (unlike during every previous year at this same time in the cycle).

Maybe I just missed it my query coverage (e.g. GSPP, Goldman, Berkeley, etc.). Mind posting a screenshot? I'm curious when (date+time) the poster was rejected and/or posted as much!

@nelag 

I'm sorry, I don't know how to quote on my phone. It is on this topic, I think on page 3, someone posted that he/she knew that a friend had gotten rejected. Still, I don't think he/she said on what date his/her friend had gotten the rejection. Its not on the search results.

I don't think it's mean. The only reason we know some people were accepted was because of this forum. They weren't forcing the information on you.

You should consider Chicago- it's empathy optional (at least compared to Berkeley)  :lol:

@nelag 

I'm sorry, I don't know how to quote on my phone. It is on this topic, I think on page 3, someone posted that he/she knew that a friend had gotten rejected. Still, I don't think he/she said on what date his/her friend had gotten the rejection. Its not on the search results.

Yeah, that's a game of telephone, though. We have no idea from which program they were rejected (PHD? MPP? a dual degree program?), when, how, why, or what their letter said (if they really even got one in the first place). I'd say it's extremely unlikely that a friend of a friend posting on here would be the only evidence of rejections thus far if indeed they have gone out. Look at all the previous years!  :D

Edited by nelag

@hikarizx

It's a matter of perspective, dude. Maybe for you it wasn't but for me it reflects a lack of empathy. 

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I just think the school has the right to notify people on their own schedule. Especially since at this point it's only been a couple of days. Just my opinion. Good luck!

I agree that each school has the right to notify applicants when and how they choose. In a normative sense, though, it is disheartening that they would sequence things this way (accepted->rejected) knowing that it affects 700 people or so and their families. I feel particularly sorry for international students who have no idea where in the world they will wind up.

If you've got to kill someone's hopes and dreams, at least do it softly!

Edited by nelag

As someone who has gotten in and communicated that through this forum, I am guilty of exacerbating the nerves of those who are still waiting. Waiting over the weekend was bad enough. I can't imagine what it feels like to still be waiting.

On that note, I think Berkeley should modernize their decision release system. For example, Chicago sent all notifications at the same time. They upload all individualized letters into the system, which then sends out at a preset time the letters to every applicant. Berkeley's system is too antiquated.

I agree, but the release order is not a function of an antiquated system's limited technological capability. That there have been no rejections issued is a new development as compared to previous cycles (and something no other school--at least in the top 10--has done). That is an administrative choice or perhaps, as I posited earlier, a business decision made with an eye towards yield. Either way, though, I think it is a cruel deviation from the norm of notifying all applicants at once or rejections first such that they're not strung along on pins and needles.

Edited by nelag

@Hikarizx

We are all pals here, dont worry about it I was not offended. I respect your opinion and you have a very valid point. Still, Ive received notification from other schools and it has been a very different feeling. I knew the decision was there wether good or bad.

@Nelag

Yeah, I think Im headed to Chicago. And i agree with you, its the telephone game. At this point, waiting is the only option.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. I just think the school has the right to notify people on their own schedule. Especially since at this point it's only been a couple of days. Just my opinion. Good luck!

They certainly have the right to do it however they wan, and maybe it's naive to expect empathy from any institution, but I think it's cruel to do it this way.

Especially considering so many other schools (with smaller budgets I might add) are able to do it in a way that is concise and effective, and doesn't drag on and stress people out.

They certainly have the right to do it however they wan, and maybe it's naive to expect empathy from any institution, but I think it's cruel to do it this way.

Especially considering so many other schools (with smaller budgets I might add) are able to do it in a way that is concise and effective, and doesn't drag on and stress people out.

I'm thinking we'll hear by the end of this week.

@Hikarizx

We are all pals here, dont worry about it I was not offended. I respect your opinion and you have a very valid point. Still, Ive received notification from other schools and it has been a very different feeling. I knew the decision was there wether good or bad.

@Nelag

Yeah, I think Im headed to Chicago. And i agree with you, its the telephone game. At this point, waiting is the only option.

I've only heard from 3/10 so far so I guess I'm not expecting them at any particular time?

I think it's wrong to assume that the results individuals choose to disclose on this thread are representative of the entire group of applicants. Only a portion of applicants have likely even visited this website, let alone posted their outcomes. I'd wager the people more likely to be interested to this extent in the grad school admissions process are more competitive and likely to gain acceptance, and therefore results are skewed towards "admitted." In addition, people are much more likely to post that they've been accepted to a school than rejected.

I doubt that there's a wave of rejections looming for everyone who hasn't heard back yet, I sincerely do.

I think it's wrong to assume that the results individuals choose to disclose on this thread are representative of the entire group of applicants. Only a portion of applicants have likely even visited this website, let alone posted their outcomes. I'd wager the people more likely to be interested to this extent in the grad school admissions process are more competitive and likely to gain acceptance, and therefore results are skewed towards "admitted." In addition, people are much more likely to post that they've been accepted to a school than rejected.

I doubt that there's a wave of rejections looming for everyone who hasn't heard back yet, I sincerely do.

I only looked back two years or so, but in each year prior acceptances and rejections were issued and reported on here simultaneously.

I think it would be anomalous to the point of probabilisticly improbable that this year alone would reflect a 100% acceptance bias.

Perhaps, but with such a small sample size, it's possible given the other factors I mentioned that it's just a coincidence.

Yes, perhaps every single one of us on here who hasn't heard back yet has gotten in. In which case premature congratulations are in order!

We did it (maybe?), you guys!:lol:

Edited by nelag

Hi Guys,

These Times are testing times and soon are going to be over. Just a matter of few days maximum. So just hang on to the hope.

I know it is not a good feeling but you can't do much about it.let's fight this together.

Wishing you all the best.

I'm not sure there are any benefits of being a US/CA resident. You would get in-state tuition as a CA resident but that's it. What are you looking for information about?

Thanks for your reply. Yes I meant in-state tuition in the case of Cal residents and financial aid/loans under FAFSA by virtue of being US citizens. Since neither of these applies to me, and I did not get a departmental fellowship, there seem to be limited options of funding: as an international student I would need to take a private loan and most likely need a U.S. co signer. At least that's my understanding of it. My question was if anyone know of any other source of funding/fellowship.