What are the Best Online Economics Courses?

carpecc

For many of the Intl Affairs programs, principles of macro and micro economics is specifically asked for as a prerequisite. I'm looking for some online or correspondence options for taking these courses. I've talked to a couple of schools about this, and they don't really care what school the courses comes from just that A) These courses have been taken and B) It comes from a school that's accredited (even if it's a community college) or the best option given your circumstances.

I live abroad and would like to take these courses while working full time so online or correspondence is my best option.

1.) Have any past applicants take economic courses like this? If so from what schools?

2.) What schools offer online principles of econ courses? Right now I'm looking at the University of Phoenix, but am pretty early in my examination of their program.

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

I know UC Berkeley extension offers macro and micro econ classes and I've looked into taking them. I'm pretty much in your exact same situation. I'm still not sure who I should take the classes through though. I'd like to know which ones are the least hassle to deal with since I am abroad.

carpecc:

You mention you live abroad. If you are a U.S. citizen or resident, you should look into taking the class through one of your state's universities. It's cheaper that way, and I cannot imagine that the class content or quality will vary greatly from school to school. Good luck.

I took an online Macro course at UC Boulder, which was pretty decent. It did require taking around three proctored tests (which then need to be mailed in). The library system, at least in New York City, can arrange for a librarian to act as your proctor. It cost around $900. There might be cheaper, but the flexibility to take the course at my own pace was definitely worth it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you're abroad. I would try to the distance learning centers at any sort of state college - one of them is bound to have an online-only course or be willing to make alternative arrangements since you're not able to mail anything.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know if it's too late, but I would recommend against taking it at UC Berkeley Extension, just because it's something like $800 each for a pretty basic, introductory econ class. I've taken a few extension courses through Berkeley for their editing certification and also separately since I was an undergrad there...

I was in a similar situation 2 years ago -- had already graduated, but needed macro/micro to apply to programs. I took Macro + Micro online through a local community college (DeAnza College in Cupertino, CA)... That cost me something like $50 + cost of books for each class. The instructor was very good. I think that if you do all your reading and assignments, you will learn just as much as you would at any other university in introductory economics, and the grading is probably a bit more lenient than what you might find at Berkeley.