Boston University vs. Columbia... HELP

sqrwtrmln

I love them both after visiting, and they're both really strong in chronic disease epi which is what I want to study. I went to undergrad in Boston so I already know I love living there, but I have no real experience with NYC. Please help me decide!!

NYC is awesome (better than Boston in my opinion -- sorry :P) and the cost of living is pretty similar to Boston. So you should really decide based on the program, not the location. Columbia is ranked very highlyl, the brand name is better than BU, so that could be an argument to choose Columbia.

I know it's hard to choose between two good programs. I'm trying to decide between Harvard and JHU in case you have any pointers :)

Edited by Sabrosura

Are either giving you funding? If not, I'd probably just choose Columbia then. It's actually less expensive tuition-wise and better ranked both as a school of public health and as a university overall. Plus in Boston you're going to be competing for practicums and jobs with Tufts and Harvard.

Are either giving you funding? If not, I'd probably just choose Columbia then. It's actually less expensive tuition-wise and better ranked both as a school of public health and as a university overall. Plus in Boston you're going to be competing for practicums and jobs with Tufts and Harvard.

I have a merit scholarship to BU but it's not what I'd call substantial... $5000/semester.

I have a merit scholarship to BU but it's not what I'd call substantial... $5000/semester.

You're going to be paying roughly $10k more to go to BU, then. BU is great. I love BU. I love Boston. However, it doesn't come close to Columbia as far as brand name and global recognition alone. Haven't looked at BU's research funding, but I'm very confident that Columbia trumps BU in NIH and other funding (though there is a possibility I'm wrong on this; you can look it up if you want). The only reasons to choose BU would be as follows: 1) you can live dirt cheap in Boston because you have family there 2) you currently have a relevant and outstanding flexible part time job 3) there are multiple professors in the school of public health researching something very specific you are interested in. Otherwise, choose Columbia.