UPENN GSE vs TC Columbia for International Education Master's

kobrans

Decision time!

I've been admitted to both UPenn GSE's Education, Culture, and Society program and Teachers College, Columbia's International Educational Development program. 

UPenn gave me a $5,000 scholarship for one year, full-time.

TC didn't offer me any money, but I would be attending for two years part-time. I already work in NYC, so I would hope to continue working full-time. I may be able to get my employer to cover some of the costs, but I'm not sure yet. 

I want to leave my current career field to pursue something in international education and/or intercultural communication, possibly at an NGO or something like a university global ed office. I'm hoping that grad school and five years' work experience will help me get a non-entry-level job when I graduate.

That being said, which program has better job placement and recognition?

I've also applied to the Global and Transnational Studies program at the University of Tampere in Finland, but I won't hear back until late April. Being both international and tuition-free, this is my first choice. However, I need to get back to UPenn and TC before I'll hear back from Tampere. I figure I'll decide between the two and risk losing my deposit if I am admitted to Tampere.

Honestly, I'm excited about all of my choices and I think I could be happy at either UPenn or TC. My choice is really based on cost and job prospects, at this point.

Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi!

I just got accepted into the IED program at Teachers College as well! I Didn't apply to UPenn but I did apply to NYU. I'm still waiting to hear on them but I'd also like some advice too on job placement and recognition from TC.

Hi!

I've just been accepted too to TC IED program, Upenn IED, Georgetown Global human development program, Trinity Dublin Development practice and John Hopkins SAIS and I'm concerned about job prospects, 1 vs 2 year programs and m. of arts vs. m.s.ed degree. Still waiting to hear on funding for some as well. 

I'm hoping to work in the future with an NGO or other development organization on education issues. 

I'd love to hear advice/insight into any of the above programs. 

Thanks!

Also really concerned about Penn IED job prospects / 1 v. 2 year program!!! It seems so weird to me that they lay this out as a 1.5 year program, but from what I can tell have offered no support to those who choose this option / most students choose to do 1 year & 5 courses/semester. I was so interested in this program & pleased with the aid they offered, but no one has been able to answer my questions about the possibility of renewing my scholarship if I were to do a third semester on campus after the internship.

And after talking to the IEDP students... 5 courses/semester, + assistantships, + OTHER jobs on top of that (they seem like they are under a lot of financial stress!), + writing a Policy Brief thesis, + hoping your professor places you in the international internship of your choosing, + crossing your fingers you will get a job straight from that position (that was not in your control to begin with) OR, worse, job hunting from abroad and not getting as much out of your internship or returning stateside after the summer with your degree but no immediate impetus towards the next employment opportunity... seems so intense!! I'm just really confused about the program format, honestly. But that counteracted w/ the amazing placements potentially accessible w/ UNESCO, UNICEF, etc. might be worth it?? I don't know. What are yalls thoughts?

Based the factors above, Penn has kind of fallen out of focus for me and I am more heavily considering Vanderbilt IEPM and Harvard IEP. Still very interested in others' opinions on job prospects / opportunities in the international ed / development world that all these program may lead to!

This morning I received notice of a scholarship from Teachers College, which is more generous than UPenn and has all but made up my mind for me in favor of TC.

And yet this brings me to another question: Should I leave time in my school year schedule for internships? Right now my plan is to continue working full-time and attend classes in the evenings, but would an internship or new job in international education be better for job prospects down the line (as opposed to my current job, from which I would have security and a continuous paycheck)? 

I got the opposite news- more funding from UPENN then TC, but some from both. Got the most from SAIS, which was a huge surprise but with no guarantee for funding the second year and none from Georgetown. 

I would do UPENN over 1.5 years just to ensure I have time to make connections to faculty, and through internships and research opportunities. But that being said, it's interesting to me that all the masters in development are 2 years, where as the international education devp ones are both only a year. I wonder why that is. 

Do you know what most UPENN graduates go on to do? or TC grads either? SAIS has really good data on what they're grads are doing and did a great job connecting me with grads, but I haven't seen such detailed data on any of the other programs. 

Ideally- I'd like to work for a org like UNCIEF, Save the Children, UN as an education devp officer- I'd love the opportunity to combine being in the U.S with experience in the field. I know someone in Devp who started about 20 years ago and had a job with 3 years in the U.S followed by 3 years in the field alternating which sounds amazing. Not sure which of the 5 programs would set me up for something like this and whether it's wiser to focus on education devp or more broadly on devp and finally if I should be more concerned with the financials.  thoughts? 

Anyone applying for FLAS language fellowship? 

• 3 years later...

3 years since this post. Anyone still active here? Can anyone offer insights as to which program in international education is better in terms of job prospects?