Barcelona, Spain

mikaela

I'll be doing an 8 months internship in Barcelona and have to find my own accomodations. Any tips on how to proceed? Of course, as a student, my main concern is to find something affordable.

Also, for those of you who have been/lived in Barcelona, recommandations on where to hang out are welcomed.

Hello, sorry my reply doesn't help you out any, but I just wanted to say that I am sooooooooooooooooo jealous that you get to go to Barcelona! That is the one place that I want to go to more than anything!!! I am very, very excited for you and I hope everything works out for you!

Hello, sorry my reply doesn't help you out any, but I just wanted to say that I am sooooooooooooooooo jealous that you get to go to Barcelona! That is the one place that I want to go to more than anything!!! I am very, very excited for you and I hope everything works out for you!

Thanks Jlee! You should have seen the dance of joy I did around the office when I found out I was awarded the internship. I seem to recall running to my supervisor's office and jumping up and down as I was telling her the news. I hope you ge to go as well (could you work it in your studies?)

Thanks Jlee! You should have seen the dance of joy I did around the office when I found out I was awarded the internship. I seem to recall running to my supervisor's office and jumping up and down as I was telling her the news. I hope you ge to go as well (could you work it in your studies?)

I can imagine...I would have done the exact same thing I am sure! My Honor Society got to go to Barcelona last Spring, along with other places in Spain, but I unfortunately already had too many credits to get to go. :x I'm hoping it will be the place I take my Honeymoon! :D I will just have to live vicariously through you until then though. :wink: Hahaha.

• 4 years later...

Hi!

What can anyone tell me about life for university students in Spain (everything from activities, city life, budgeting, etc.)? I'm moving there in September and I don't know what to expect! Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Barcelona is a beautiful city. It  can be expensive, more expensive than almost anywhere else in Spain. I would recommend staying in a hostel until you find appropriate accommodation. Paying a week at a time for a bed in a hostel while you do your program/search for a place is the best way to search for rooms. I would suggest idealista.com. segundamando is also a great resource, and loquo.es is also good. Be very careful with your personal belongings - your wallet in particular. Spain and Barcelona in particular has a very high rate of pickpocket theft. Almost everyone I know there has been pickpocketed at least once, so watch your handbag, if you're a girl, always carry your purse in front, don't put anything valuable in front pockets and if you're a guy, keep your wallet in your side pockets not the back.