Degree Level Change: F-1 Visa 'Renewal' in a Third Country?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently on OPT (from my MS) and will start my PhD program in another university this August. My F-1 visa is also set to expire this August. I know I can remain here as long as my I-20 is ok, but I need to renew my visa as I will be attending my sister's wedding in December/Early Jan and was thinking to do it around summer before my program starts for the least hassle. 

I know that it's recommended to go back to your home country, but since the flight home is $1.5k+, I was hoping to 'renew' my visa in Canada or Mexico. Has anyone ever done this? I know it's much harder to get an F-1 visa in a third country, and since my I-20 will be from a new university, I don't know if that counts as a renewal or a completely new visa altogether. Of course I'm going to consult my university international student's office, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experiences or anecdotes related to my issue. Thanks!

I don't have any experience with this but I can tell you that it'd be a new visa, not a renewal. I don't know what your field is, but if there is any chance you'll need to go through TAL, it might take a few weeks/months to get the visa, and you might not want to spend them in Canada or Mexico. Generally I've heard the same advice as you about not going to a third country and I understand why, but I'm not sure how risky it would actually be. I think that talking to your ISO is a very good idea.

Thanks. If that's the case, that rules out Mexico, as they only process renewals. It might also increase the risk I get denied at the Canadian Embassy, since it's an entirely new visa and not a renewal. Fortunately, the TAL doesn't apply to me, and I have distant family in Canada I can stay with if things go wrong. I guess I just need to decide if it's worth the risk to go to Canada, or just suck it up and pay the $1k difference in fare. 

I know many students who do this all the time in Canada and Mexico (mostly Mexico since we're in California). A lot of Chinese nationals do this because they used to only get issued 1 year visas. Now, 5 year visas are starting to become available for Chinese nationals though! The International Office at my school's official recommendation is for students to avoid doing a "third country" visa application because if a complication happens, you might be stuck there for weeks (and better to be stuck at home than a foreign place). However, since you do have family in Canada, perhaps it won't be so bad. It's up to you whether it's worth the risk!

As a former FSO, I can tell you (completely unofficially) that it is usually a little suspicious if people are applying in third countries for pretty much any type of visa. Just because it's "only Canada" doesn't make it any less suspicious.

Also, as others have already said, this is not a renewal, but an application for a whole new visa.

However, you have a couple things going for you:

1. You've already had an F-1 visa and have not abused it.

2. You will have left when you were supposed to have.

3. You will have gotten the degree you intended to initially.

4. You have a legitimate reason to be and even stay in Canada (you have family there).

A couple negatives against you:

1. You have a close relative getting married in the U.S. (indicates a possible intention on your part/your family's part to immigrate to the US permanently, not just study there; if you hide the fact of your relative's wedding and reveal it later, this will only make you look worse. My number one advice for visa applications and interviews is BE HONEST.)

2. You are mid-schooling in the U.S., meaning you likely have less ties to your home country than you do to the US now (indicates same as above)

3. You have family in Canada, raising suspicion that you may be attempting to immigrate there, also.

Think of the $1.5k airfare as insurance, or even assurance: You are assuring the consular officer in your country that you are not up to anything nefarious, and just want to keep studying and taking advantage of education abroad.

May I ask what country you are from? This unofficially changes things, too.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently on OPT (from my MS) and will start my PhD program in another university this August. My F-1 visa is also set to expire this August. I know I can remain here as long as my I-20 is ok, but I need to renew my visa as I will be attending my sister's wedding in December/Early Jan and was thinking to do it around summer before my program starts for the least hassle. 

I know that it's recommended to go back to your home country, but since the flight home is $1.5k+, I was hoping to 'renew' my visa in Canada or Mexico. Has anyone ever done this? I know it's much harder to get an F-1 visa in a third country, and since my I-20 will be from a new university, I don't know if that counts as a renewal or a completely new visa altogether. Of course I'm going to consult my university international student's office, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experiences or anecdotes related to my issue. Thanks!

Just to leave something clear, Mexico has a better system to process passports and visas: you only schedule an appointment and you will have your new passport in one hour after your appointment (worst case scenario is 2-3 hours), unlike Canada and the United States. Also, you do not need a Mexican visa to visit and stay in the country for up to three months if you have an American visa/fly from the US.

The US embassy in Mexico does not only  process renewals. I got my B2 and my F1 visas there (I have no idea about the consulate in Tijuana), and I have seen Chinese and other nationals in the American embassy. Also Takeru-k already said you can do that in Mexico.

The US embassy in Mexico City is pretty efficient too. I recently got my B2 visa (tourist): I went to the embassy on Thursday morning and by Saturday in the afternoon I was picking it up (basically it took them one day to process the application). I remember when I got my first F1 visa it took around 3-4 days to get it (kind of Thursday and got it on Tuesday). Since the US embassy in Mexico City is most likely one of the biggest (top 5) in the world in terms of volume of visas processed, they had to make the process very fast. Canadian citizens do not even need a visa to study in the US (http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/visas/student-and-exchange-visas.html). So the odds are that you can get your visa quicker in Mexico than in Canada. Check the available dates and put them together so you can make a quick trip to Mexico.

Also, if you are starting your PhD you need to get another visa, which is not something unusual. By the time your sister gets married (outside of the US, as your post originally said) you will be studying your PhD in the US, so you will be legally in the US. I have the impression jujubea did not read your post well.

Now, it is true that sometimes it is more difficult to apply for a visa when you are outside of your birth country, but given that Mexico/Canada are so close to the USA and any other country is not, then it is not unusual to have applicants from other countries. 

Edited by Karoku_valentine

Just to clarify, my sister is getting married in a country outside of the US (not my home country), so I wouldn't be able to combine my visa renewal and her wedding in a single trip. Well I could, but it would be pretty impractical for a PhD student! I'm from the Philippines, which I know could be a red flag for illegal immigration, but I don't have immediate family who are US Citizens/Permanent Residents. My sister and her fiance are also permanent residents of another country, so I don't think that would be a problem. I have also been previously issued a B1/B2 (still valid) before my current F1 visa which I have not misused, which could further help my case.

Just to leave something clear, Mexico has a better system to process passports and visas: you only schedule an appointment and you will have your new passport in one hour after your appointment (worst case scenario is 2-3 hours), unlike Canada and the United States. Also, you do not need a Mexican visa to visit and stay in the country for up to three months if you have an American visa/fly from the US.

The US embassy in Mexico does not only  process renewals. I got my B2 and my F1 visas there (I have no idea about the consulate in Tijuana), and I have seen Chinese and other nationals in the American embassy. Also Takeru-k already said you can do that in Mexico.

I went back and reread the embassy pages and you're right. I should be able to apply for a F1 visa as long as I'm not changing my visa category, and I'm not. Although Mexico may have a better system, I'll still likely apply in Canada since I have family I can stay in case anything goes wrong. 

Thanks for the information everyone! I haven't talked to my ISO yet but I'm leaning towards taking the risk and applying in Canada. I'll come back here with an update. 

Ahhh - ok. Great. I understand. 

In my opinion, that she's getting married in a third country helps your case.

If you are asked why you're applying in Canada and not at home, I'd definitely include that in the explanation: I already have another international trip to make this year for my sister's wedding, and I don't want to spend so much money on travel.

Be careful not to say you "can't afford it" though... cuz that will open up a whole new can of worms for the Consular Officer to worry/wonder and doubt/ask you about. 

And you're definitely right that a previous B1/B2 with no misuse will help your case, too.

Good luck!

Just to clarify, my sister is getting married in a country outside of the US (not my home country), so I wouldn't be able to combine my visa renewal and her wedding in a single trip. Well I could, but it would be pretty impractical for a PhD student! I'm from the Philippines, which I know could be a red flag for illegal immigration, but I don't have immediate family who are US Citizens/Permanent Residents. My sister and her fiance are also permanent residents of another country, so I don't think that would be a problem. I have also been previously issued a B1/B2 (still valid) before my current F1 visa which I have not misused, which could further help my case.

I went back and reread the embassy pages and you're right. I should be able to apply for a F1 visa as long as I'm not changing my visa category, and I'm not. Although Mexico may have a better system, I'll still likely apply in Canada since I have family I can stay in case anything goes wrong. 

Thanks for the information everyone! I haven't talked to my ISO yet but I'm leaning towards taking the risk and applying in Canada. I'll come back here with an update. 

You will have no problems getting your visa. Good luck!!

• 4 months later...

Success!!! Here's sort of a 'trip report' just in case someone has the same situation in the future.

I decided to renew my visa in Nogales, Mexico, which was the most convenient location for me. It also helps that there were a lot of available appointments- you can book biometrics + an appointment for tomorrow or two days out if you wish. Before I went, also emailed the consulate to make sure I was eligible for renewal there, which they confirmed.

Day 0

I took a TUFESA bus from Phoenix to Nogales. There was a wait at the border and someone from customs boarded the bus, but there were no individual inspections. I stayed at a hotel called Marques de Cima which is right next to the TUFESA station and within walking distance of the consulate, which was very convenient. The staff didn't speak English, but they were nice, and it worked out fine with my broken Spanish. They don't have a problem with you leaving your bag at the front desk when you go for your interview/visa pickup, since you can't bring electronics. It's not located in the center of the town, but there are some fast food places, a supermarket, banks, and a small mall also within walking distance you can eat at. There is also a nice sit down restaurant nearby called El Marcos. Some people said dollars are widely accepted in Nogales, but you aren't going to get a good exchange rate, so I would suggest just withdrawing pesos from an ATM. 

Day 1 

Biometrics appointment. I took a taxi to the ASC (tell the driver you want to go to 'Edificio Azul') with my papers in hand. Present your appointment confirmation to security outside the building. Inside, they just looked at my DS-160 confirmation and took my picture and fingerprints. Only took me 15-30 minutes in total. The only problem is the ASC is in a sort of quiet area, so I had to walk for a few minutes to find a taxi. I took the chance to go to the 'tourist area' and do some shopping. 

Day 2

Appointment at the consulate. I'd suggest taking the earliest appointment you can because they only had 2 people interviewing when I was there and the (standing) line was pretty long when I left. Bring a book if you wish. The consul who interviewed me was very nice and didn't even ask me about my reason for applying. The only question I was asked was why I was going to a different university for my PhD. Also, there was a small problem with my OPT and graduation date as it looks like the SEVIS timeline didn't exactly match the actual one, but fortunately I had my OPT card and a copy of my MS diploma with me, which I think saved me from having the visa denied due to lack of documents. Bring all the supporting documents you think you need! I'd recommend bringing an official transcript as well. After my visa was approved I was told to come back to the consulate that afternoon and see if it was ready for pick up, but it wasn't. I was told to go back the next day. 

Day 3

Went to the consulate in the afternoon and my visa was there! I picked up my bag from the hotel and took a taxi to the border. The border crossing took around an hour, as I had to wait for my I-94. All waiting was done inside so it wasn't so bad. When you cross into Nogales AZ, you'll see some shuttles offering service to Phoenix/Tucson for around $25-30. I took one and was back in Phoenix the same night. 

Edited by mallorn

• 1 year later...