Brown for IR?

Colgan did just move from American so while he could leave, it would seem like he's there at brown to stay. If you want to do experiments on monkeys or how people smell bad if you don't like their politics, McDermott's the person to study under.

If you are interested in IPE and constructivism, there is Mark Blyth. He is the most impressive pioneer in that field with Colin Hay and Vivien Schmidt (BU).

By the way, when did you receive your offer for Boston University?

I would go to Brown over BU...neither of them place well though, so be aware of that. Mark Blyth seems pretty awesome, so that would be a draw for me. This doesn't necessarily mean don't go, it just means being aware that a tenure track job at a research university or top liberal arts college is extremely unlikely when you finish.

I would say BU- better IR sub field faculty, BU Pardee School of Global affairs is a help- plus better record with placements. Brown is more suitable for theory. Also in terms of location, BU is better, which might help you later in terms of internships while you finish Phd.

This discussion indicates one of the hidden costs of going to a lower-ranked program: they tend to have fewer people to work with. If one faculty member leaves or you can't work with someone for whatever reason, it makes the dissertation that much harder to write.

For meteora - sorry it took me so long to respond to your above question. Heard from BU back in early Feb.

Thanks for your answer. Did you submit your result for BU at the result page? 

• 3 weeks later...

Brown does have Colgan, McDermott, and Miller who have pretty impressive CVs. Colgan and Miller, however, are both APs so no guarantee they'll stay at Brown. 

McDermott likely off to USC. Good young assistant professors, though, like Jordan Branch who already is publishing in IO and other places.

I would go to Brown over BU...neither of them place well though, so be aware of that. Mark Blyth seems pretty awesome, so that would be a draw for me. This doesn't necessarily mean don't go, it just means being aware that a tenure track job at a research university or top liberal arts college is extremely unlikely when you finish.

Yeah, Blyth is great.