Screenwriting MFA Fall 2015

betts15

I applied to CMU's and Northwestern's programs in screenwriting/playwriting (called Dramatic Writing and Writing for the Stage and Screen, respectively). Haven't heard back from either one. I guess that means I'm waitlisted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I've posted this on the playwriting forum, but I'll post/paste it here again.

Brief summary: Basically, I've received all my decisions now. So here's my Fall 2015 turnout.

I got rejected by all the NY/Cali schools I applied to: (see below for a list of my failures)

USC Writing for Screen and TV

UCLA Screenwriting

NYU Dramatic Writing

Columbia Screenwriting

Northwestern's Writing for Stage and TV

(yay.)

BUT, I did manage to get acceptances to UMiami Motion Pictures (Screenwriting) and Florida State University's (screen)Writing MFA program offered through their film school.

Unfortunately neither of them provide funding for international students (I'm from Canada).

So now I'm having a hard time deciding.

I'm highly tempted by FSU's offer, since they only accept 6 people each year for the Writing MFA (SIX people!) but then at the same time, it's in Florida and the connections/network/reputation isn't as good as the more reputable schools in Cali/NY.

Although part of me wants to just wants to just go there (great program, great faculty, great resources), another part of me wants to give the other schools (i.e. USC, NYU, UCLA, Columbia) another shot.

Any thoughts? Would love it if someone could share a similar experience.

--Oh and although this isn't quite related, I've also been accepted into the Journalism program at NYU and USC. This also compells me to just do J-school first, find an internship/job, and reapply to a MFA program in the future. I think that way, I could also get a feel for the places and whatnot (i.e. get employed, make a living... etc).

Hey Smooshie,

I've got a few friends who went to film/screenwriting programs after undergrad and the two who paid for it wish they had waited (but still had a wonderful experience) and the one that got funding also had a wonderful experience but is now mostly debt free (she did take out some small loans to cover her living expenses). So, my two cents for any MFA: don't pay for it unless you've got some savings or are willing to be in debt for a long time. I don't know as much about the funding situation for screenwriting programs, but I'd try again. 

Whatever you decide, congrats on your offers!

Hey Smooshie,

I've got a few friends who went to film/screenwriting programs after undergrad and the two who paid for it wish they had waited (but still had a wonderful experience) and the one that got funding also had a wonderful experience but is now mostly debt free (she did take out some small loans to cover her living expenses). So, my two cents for any MFA: don't pay for it unless you've got some savings or are willing to be in debt for a long time. I don't know as much about the funding situation for screenwriting programs, but I'd try again. 

Whatever you decide, congrats on your offers!

Aww, thanks so much!

And yes, I've heard a lot about being in debt for MFA programs (exactly the reason why I didn't apply to Creative Writing programs; I thought maybe film/screenwriting would be a bit better in the prospects of landing a job/making money -- but maybe that was just my blind optimism).

I'm just afraid that if I don't accept the MFA offer now, I'll never be able to have an acceptance in the future. I know it sounds silly... but yeh >.< 

I'll take my time to decide and make updates on my fincal choice.

Hope your 2015 application cycle went well. Do share :)

Aww, thanks so much!

And yes, I've heard a lot about being in debt for MFA programs (exactly the reason why I didn't apply to Creative Writing programs; I thought maybe film/screenwriting would be a bit better in the prospects of landing a job/making money -- but maybe that was just my blind optimism).

I'm just afraid that if I don't accept the MFA offer now, I'll never be able to have an acceptance in the future. I know it sounds silly... but yeh >.< 

I'll take my time to decide and make updates on my fincal choice.

Hope your 2015 application cycle went well. Do share :)

Hey again! I don't think it matters at all if you have an MFA or what said MFA is focused on; it only matters what you do with your time and the work you create. Since, as every always says, you don't need an MFA to write, I've just looked at it as a chance to be paid to write, take classes and be part of a larger community. I'd say if you don't love your offers to try again next year and not let fear get in the way. You can also ask about deferring, although most programs don't let you do this. 

As for me, I've got one funded offer and two wait lists. One of the wait lists is a dream program (and also asked me not to name them on forums and such), so I'm holding out on saying yes to another offer until I see what happens with the wait lists. 

Good luck and happy writing :)

• 2 weeks later...

--Oh and although this isn't quite related, I've also been accepted into the Journalism program at NYU and USC. This also compells me to just do J-school first, find an internship/job, and reapply to a MFA program in the future. I think that way, I could also get a feel for the places and whatnot (i.e. get employed, make a living... etc).

It's probably too late since April 15 has already passed and I also feel bad for starting the topic and then disappearing, but my advise is to take the Journalism offer and see what happens. And never pay for your MFA, of course. I'm an international student too, and I wrote to both Florida programs you got in, and after their reply about no funding for internationals I didn't even consider them. Every application is money and huge efforts, you need to think twice before applying and never apply to unfunded programs. 

Edited by betts15

It's probably too late since April 15 has already passed and I also feel bad for starting the topic and then disappearing, but my advise is to take the Journalism offer and see what happens. And never pay for your MFA, of course. I'm an international student too, and I wrote to both Florida programs you got in, and after their reply about no funding for internationals I didn't even consider them. Every application is money and huge efforts, you need to think twice before applying and never apply to unfunded programs. 

betts15, thanks so much for the input!

I have actually accdepted NYU's Journalism offer. They gave me 2/3 funding :)

Edited by smooshie