Oxford Bound?

dani8023

It sounds like a fantastic opportunity--except the bill. While this is probably something you are already aware of, I would mention that US $30K deferred for 5 years at 6% turns into 38k, then payments for 20yrs at 6% = 272/mo total loan cost is around 65K. Is your health insurance included in that number? I am not trying to deter you, but *for me* a funded option would be a lot more attractive. As an aside, I am in a funded MS situation, and have still taken out a smallish loan amount for incidentals I didn't foresee in the budget. All that being said, it does sound like an incredible place to spend time at university.

22 hours ago, dani8023 said:

Hey! Our situations do sound remarkably similar! I even do 12th/13th c. English Legal History. (The best time period, right?)

(And best of luck on your housing hunt, and I hope you can find someone with easy answers. My lucky situation with college housing unfortunately means I don't have much helpful experience.)

As far my experiences here - this has been the absolute best year, and I have learned more than I thought possible in this time period. As far as the Latin goes, they give you every opportunity to learn and every teacher I've had has been amazing. To put it in perspective, I just finished an essay with a large part of my evidence based on a Latin text I translated myself. Not WELL translated, I would say, but I know enough to fumble my way through some pretty complicated stuff. I have also had some incredibly useful/entertaining training in paleography, which has been helpful.

The academic community here is just unparalleled. It really is such a great experience, and the faculty here are so supportive. I feel like I am absolutely getting the professional training and experience needed to move forward in an academic career. The University provides as many learning/research opportunities as you are willing to take on.

For PhD prospects: I was in too much of a state with moving and getting acclimated to a new program to meet ANY deadlines beyond the Oxford one. I have been accepted for a DPhil here - without funding, sadly. A truly minuscule amount of history DPhils were funded this year. I am looking for alternate funding currently but we'll see. That being said, if I choose to re-apply for PhD programs next year, I feel highly confident in both my competitiveness for funding at other universities, and in the quality of referee letters I would receive from my professors here. I would love to stay here, but funding for international students is so scarce that I think my only realistic chance at funding would involve some sort of Hunger Games-esque.

SUMMARY: I do not regret coming for one single instant, and if at all possible I will stay for the next three years. But, barring that, I feel that this course has fully prepared me for continuing my education elsewhere and allowed me the opportunity to make useful professional connections with some very important people in my field. 

Definitely the best ;) Thank you so much for the update! That's really heartening re: the Latin and the supportive faculty. I'm feeling more excited than ever to start now.

@dani8023 and anyone else familiar with Oxford:

I'm considering a master's program at Oxford but I was a bit concerned about the academic calendar. From what I could make out from Oxford's website, there are three short terms, each of about 8 weeks. Is that it? That would mean that the majority of the year is vacation, right? (Is it worth spending all that money on 24 weeks?) Do people stay there during off periods? Are there opportunitities for research and study during the off period?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

@boomah

Not vacation as such, as actual time to do reading/research. For me, breaks have been an excellent time where the undergrads leave and I get some peace and quiet to get some work done. Generally speaking, your professors will also be in residence throughout this time. You may not have any formal classes/training etc. but you will likely meet with your supervisor during this period. 

Cambridge calendar is much the same, and their MPhil course websites make it clear that five weeks of vacation on the cake day amounts to just a few days "off"-- given that you might have to get a jump on reading for Lent term and you have a dissertation due in the spring.

Edited by Concordia

35 minutes ago, Concordia said:

No idea where this came from-- must have been the iPhone spell-check.

I was wondering. :)