Short term health insurance? (such as COBRA)

esotericish

I'd like to take a couple months off between going back to school in August and my current, draining, stressful full time job. I'd probably do something part-time during that break. The biggest issue is health insurance, which I currently have from my employer. Has anybody gone the COBRA route and have experience? It's a bit confusing based on my research. 

It is very, very expensive.  You will be paying the total amount your employer was subsidizing for you- usually around $1,000/month.

My understanding, though -- and this could be wrong -- is that you only have to pay if you use it, since you get a 60 day period to "decide" if you need it.

Can you get coverage through the ACA marketplaces/exchanges from your state? From my understanding in California, although open enrollment is only for a few months a year, you are allowed to enroll/unenroll following any "major life event", such as leaving a job. You can unenroll from the Marketplace/Exchange plans once you start school and get covered by student insurance. 

In California, Marketplace plans are very affordable. You can get minimal ("catastrophic coverage" only) for less than $100 per month. You can also get subsidies for the plans if you qualify under income limits etc. I think one of the purposes of ACA is to provide coverage for people in your situation, so look into what your options are there!!

Cobra is usually only a good option for a select group of people - people who have pre existing conditions and don't want a gap in coverage (because that previously disqualified them from being covered under their next plans). I'd look into marketplace options like the other posted suggested or just go without and pay out of pocket should you need to go to a doctor.

My understanding, though -- and this could be wrong -- is that you only have to pay if you use it, since you get a 60 day period to "decide" if you need it.

I was given the option of COBRA a few years ago.  I turned it down because they wanted the full price, which made it effin' expensive.