Wichita State vs. University of Kansas

Hey just wondered if anyone had first hand experience or word of mouth knowledge or even just good email communication with either of these schools?  Their programs both offer classes that i'd be really interested in taking.

I'm just curious if anyone visited either campus and loved it.  Or had a classmate that went there and did.  What the people are like if there are different vibes in the different cities?  Just any information good or bad people can tell me about either University to help me narrow down my list of schools.  

Thank you!  :D

Hi! 

I can't tell you much about Wichita State, but I am attending KU as an undergrad right now, and am considering the grad program. I actually just attended the open house day. KU really is a great program! The MA program takes place on both the Lawrence and KU Med campus (which is in Kansas City, about 45 minutes away from Lawrence). There is a clinic on both campuses, and lots of medical opportunities at KU med. There are some really unique opportunities there, like the awesome AAC lab in Lawrence, and special practicum placements with ALS and Parkinsons patients. Both Lawrence and Kansas City are great places to live as well! Lawrence is much more of a "college town" feel, and KC has a bigger city feel. Students are pretty split between the two campuses in where they live I think, it's just a personal preference. If you have any specific questions about KU I can try to answer them! 

Hi! 

I can't tell you much about Wichita State, but I am attending KU as an undergrad right now, and am considering the grad program. I actually just attended the open house day. KU really is a great program! The MA program takes place on both the Lawrence and KU Med campus (which is in Kansas City, about 45 minutes away from Lawrence). There is a clinic on both campuses, and lots of medical opportunities at KU med. There are some really unique opportunities there, like the awesome AAC lab in Lawrence, and special practicum placements with ALS and Parkinsons patients. Both Lawrence and Kansas City are great places to live as well! Lawrence is much more of a "college town" feel, and KC has a bigger city feel. Students are pretty split between the two campuses in where they live I think, it's just a personal preference. If you have any specific questions about KU I can try to answer them! 

Thank you so much!  What are the Professors like at KU?  Are they helpful or more distant?  Also if you know does that 45 minute commute have a lot of traffic or is it a pretty quick straight shot?  Lawrence seems like a cool college town which got me a little more interested in their program to begin with (aside from the courses they offer!).  

I'm mostly interested in therapy with children, but even the hospital opportunities sound unique and interesting there.  

Did the open house mention anything about financial aid or assistantships?  I'd be coming from out of state so am trying to look at all the factors.  

Thanks again!

The professors on the Lawrence campus (from what I have experienced) are great! I formed great relationships with them as an undergrad and they were always very open and supportive. Obviously not every professor is going to be your favorite person and there are some at KU that I didn't LOVE, but 9/10 times they were awesome. I would definitely say they are helpful. 

On the Lawrence campus there is a mostly pediatric focus. I did a practicum last semester and worked with a birth to three program, and there are lots of opportunities in schools and also child clients in the clinic. The KU med campus has some pediatric placements as well but I don't know as much about them. There are adult opportunities on both campuses as well, but definitely more adults and medical opportunities on the KU med campus. As an Master's student you'll most likely have placements on both campuses, depending on the semester. 

They did mention a few funding options. There are two grants KU has right now that provide some funding and some other assistantship positions...you can check them out here -http://www.kumc.edu/school-of-health-professions/ipcd/speech-language-pathology-(ma)/tuition-and-costs/scholarships-and-financial-assistance.html

Thank you!  All this information is awesome!  And the undergrad professors being supportive is an amazing sign.  I hear the opposite a lot of the time, like they kind of don't care unless you are a Grad student.  That is great news.  One last question if you are familiar at all with Wichita how do the two cities compare in terms of people?  You already said you weren't familiar with Wichita state so no worries if you have no knowledge about the city itself as well.

Lawrence sounds pretty great for an out of state person.  Sounds like a good community to be in for college!  

Thank you again, this is so helpful for narrowing down my future applications  :D

P.S-Congrats on all those amazing Graduate school choices!!!  

Thanks! I've been very lucky throughout this process. 

I've been to Wichita a fair amount of times, my mother is from there and a lot of family still lives in the town. I may be biased but...it's just not as fun as KC/Lawrence. You could definitely have fun there and enjoy the program if you decide to go to Wichita State, obviously the experience will be what you make it. But it is more of a conservative, smaller, less urban town. Just depends on what kind of place you prefer :) and which program fits you best! 

Let me know if you have any other questions, and you can always PM me as well! 

Thanks! I've been very lucky throughout this process. 

I've been to Wichita a fair amount of times, my mother is from there and a lot of family still lives in the town. I may be biased but...it's just not as fun as KC/Lawrence. You could definitely have fun there and enjoy the program if you decide to go to Wichita State, obviously the experience will be what you make it. But it is more of a conservative, smaller, less urban town. Just depends on what kind of place you prefer :) and which program fits you best! 

Let me know if you have any other questions, and you can always PM me as well! 

I will thank you!