Kent State University

Hi applicants!

I was curious if anyone knew anything about Kent State University's SLP MA program. I couldn't get a hold of the department yet (must be that I called on a Friday) and will hopefully be visiting soon. I am looking between Rush University and Kent State. I know so much about Rush's program and love it but absolutely nothing about Kent's except that it is $20,000 cheaper! So before I make the plunge into Kent for the obvious financial positives, whats the program's reputation there? 

Thanks, and good luck to all you other future grad students! 

Sure! I went to the open house (I would suggest to do that on April 3rd if you have the chance to travel to Chicago!) and was able to talk to faculty and current students. Even if you are not sure if you want to be working in a medical setting, you still get experience in all scopes of the field and have placements in a variety of settings, which really was my only worry since it is based in a medical center. I have heard that the speech pathologists there are top notch and there are a few labs, such as the Voice Lab, which are really great experiences on campus. All of the faculty there are also practicing speech pathologists so you get very intelligent professors that can relate the information to real life cases. I also thought it was pretty cool that students get to work on real cadavers in their anatomy class. I've been trying to keep my mind open and take all this information with a grain of salt but I can't find anything wrong with the program personally. 

Thanks! I am going to the open house on the 3rd. I can't wait to learn more and see the facility and meet the faculty. Plus living in Chicago is very appealing. I just wish it wasn't so much money!

I was accepted to Kent State as well! I'm kinda in the same bout as you, that I do not know too much about the program but, I am visiting on Thursday and have talked to a girl that is currently there that went to my undergraduate school. Try emailing the professor that sent the acceptance letters, she has gotten back to me very quickly with answers to all of my questions! The program is 6 semesters (Fall 2015-Summer 2017) There are 4 clinical experiences before externship. The student that goes there now says that its a lot of work and is very hard but, that she is getting a lot of experience. She also reported that no one in the last many years has failed the NESPA and that everyone is walking out with lots of job offers. She stated that employers seek out Kent graduates because the program is known to be very good. She says that she loves Kent and the people in class but, feels that the clinical supervisors aren't always very helpful. She emphasized that you get a great deal of experience in the profession with this program!! I hope this kinda helps, I'm hoping to know more after I visit the campus on Thursday!!