University of Rochester

Aux22

Hello! I am looking at applying to graduate programs in Linguistics next year (a mix of MA and PhD programs since I don't have a full Linguistics major).

Does anyone have any information or experience with the MA program at University of Rochester? The information I could find on their site was fairly sparse, but the aspects of experimental work and involvement with Cognitive Science looked appealing.

I don't know about the master's program, but there is some new information regarding PhD programs. Currently you can do a Brain & Cognitive Sciences and Linguistics joint PhD, where it's approx. 2/3 BCS and 1/3 Linguistics in terms of coursework, exams, TAing, etc. BUT, they are soon going to be adding an option to do 2/3 Linguistics and 1/3 BCS so that might be a good option for you if you want to be more involved in the linguistics department. I don't know when this is going to be implemented though. I would contact Jeff Runner about this, I think he is the one to ask about the joint PhD and the MA program.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you isilya! Are you a joint PhD there? I am interested in that program!

I'm starting a BCS PhD there in the fall. I was considering doing the joint degree, but I've already taken a few linguistics grad classes so I don't know how much it would benefit me. I'll probably have someone from linguistics on my committee anyway. But I think it's a really good idea if you see yourself doing more linguistics oriented work.

I'm starting a BCS PhD there in the fall. I was considering doing the joint degree, but I've already taken a few linguistics grad classes so I don't know how much it would benefit me. I'll probably have someone from linguistics on my committee anyway. But I think it's a really good idea if you see yourself doing more linguistics oriented work.

Nice! Wish you have a great time there.  :)