Acceptance without interview?

Crank65

I have about 5 schools left to respond for Social Psychology Ph.D. programs but I didn't interview at any of them. Is it possible or has it happened where people have been accepted without having a an interview before? 

Generally, it's possible. 

I didn't interview at any of my schools and was accepted to all three - however, only one of those three schools actually does interviews (that I'm aware of).

Specifically to your field, might be a different ballgame!

Edited to add: Case in point, below!

Edited by jujubea

While I agree that it is unlikely, it is not impossible. I was emailed for a phone interview about a week ago from a school that hadn't invited me for the in person interview. Apparently I had been at the top of the waitlist from the beginning but nobody told me. Don't give up hope just yet!

I have about 5 schools left to respond for Social Psychology Ph.D. programs but I didn't interview at any of them. Is it possible or has it happened where people have been accepted without having a an interview before? 

Seriously! I get that I'm probably going to be rejected and I've made my peace with it, but they could send a freaking notification! I have a handful of schools which have sent me NOTHING yet, and as far as I've seen on the Results Page, others haven't been rejected either: Miami U of Ohio, Stony Brook U, UCSB, Indiana-Bloomington. It's two weeks out from having to officially decide and they haven't sent anything, yet. From my signature, it's obvious that I'm not needing this information to pick between schools, but that doesn't mean others aren't waiting for that info.

It is very unlikely that you will get admitance into a PhD program without interviewing. I would even be wary of the program if that did happen. You should contact them, call rather than email, and see what they say. 

I think at least a phone or video chat interview is necessary. Any school that even remotely showed interest in me contacted me about talking on Skype or phone interview, even if it wasn't declared an interview. (Then again, this could just be my experience, but it sounds like others are echoing the same thing.)