Anyone else starting at UCSC 2015?

Issaq87

Moving to Santa Cruz in July for their teaching program. Trying to see if any other grads on here are going to UC Santa Cruz in 2015. I went to UCSC for my undergrad a couple years back so I know firsthand what a nightmare looking for housing can be. I'm applying for graduate housing but it's extremely limited so trying to reach out to other UCSC grads just in case....

Yeah multiple roommates would be ideal. The town is a bit small so it helps to have a couple people get together to rent a house. My biggest fear is that I'll be forced to live with some stoner undergrads or rent out a spare bedroom from a couple. Unfortunately for me the teaching program's orientation happens on the first day classes start so I won't be meeting fellow grad students until then. When do your programs start and are either of u guys from California?

My program starts in mid-September, but I don't know when my orientation is. And I'm guessing leases start on the first of the month, so at least I'll have a couple of weeks to get settled. I'm from/currently on the East Coast, so I'm doing everything long-distance. My plan was to look around on craigslist and whatever other sites and ask the current students I met at the open house to check places out or ask people they know if there are spaces available. I'm hoping that in future years I'll have a group of friends to rent a place with, but for this year I'm just going to hope for the best roommate-wise

Yeah that's rough trying to look for a place long distance. Hopefully your orientation is before September that way u can meet people. Usually by the start of the school year most of the livable spaces are snatched up unless your willing to pay a lot or live in someone's garage.

I'm going to Santa Cruz next year.  Also looking for roommates!  I live in southern california right now so I'm within a day's drive of SC and can do some house hunting.  Let's be in touch folks :)  (27 yo male)

Edited by szdat

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I have a question for newly admitted UCSC PhD students (especially for students with full funding or international students).

According to email from my PI, I have full funding for five years via Graduate Research Student assistantship. BUT I did not receive any official financial statement yet. Since I am international student and would like to get visa, this document is mandatory requirement for my visa application. 

Did anyone receive something like official financial statement (if you did, when did you receive it)?

I have accepted the offer two weeks ago and now I can not obtain my i-20 without financial info. Honestly, I am freaking out right now because of this situation. I even cannot think about housing (because I do not know my stipend).

Hello everyone, I have a question for newly admitted UCSC PhD students (especially for students with full funding or international students).

According to email from my PI, I have full funding for five years via Graduate Research Student assistantship. BUT I did not receive any official financial statement yet. Since I am international student and would like to get visa, this document is mandatory requirement for my visa application. 

Did anyone receive something like official financial statement (if you did, when did you receive it)?

I have accepted the offer two weeks ago and now I can not obtain my i-20 without financial info. Honestly, I am freaking out right now because of this situation. I even cannot think about housing (because I do not know my stipend).

I'm a fully funded domestic student entering the linguistics program. The department manager sent my offer as a pdf with official letterhead, a breakdown of the award by quarter (2 quarters fellowship, 1 quarter TA), and the signatures of the grad director and manager. I got this about a month after my acceptance, in late March. However, my offer was recently increased, and this was sent to me in the body of an email (i.e., not on official letterhead) by the acting grad director for the department.

Basically, it seems to me that financial aid notification is handled at the departmental level. I would email the graduate director and manager for your department, and explain that you need an official statement ASAP to get your visa squared away.

Best of luck!