Accept right away my ONE admission offer or wait for wait list?

Crafter

I have been offered admission in school A and wait listed in school B. Application season has been stressful and depressing in most aspects, so I really need to be over with it. But I am afraid I will make a rushed decision that I may regret.

Pros:

School A:

- Already admitted (so they consider me a good candidate right away).

- Excellent financial support during the entire duration of the degree.

- Great city (but never been there) with great weather

- The overall ranking of the school is good, but the program ranking is not that great (however, it is an umbrella program, so I could get a mentor from their highly ranked department).

- More faculty to choose from

- Better funded than program in school B

School B:

- Better overall rank than school A. The program by itself is not ranked but I guess that is well regarded as the whole subject is high ranked.

- Great city where I have lived before and love it. Have friends there too.

Cons:

School A

- Lower rank than school B

School B:

- Waitlisted

- Program is small and not well funded, but they say that can provide funding for admitted students.

- Faculty with funding are not a lot, so I may end up working in a second choice lab (but then again, I may end up in first choice as well).

As a bit of background: I am a foreign applicant, so funding is an issue because I do not qualify for most funding sources. So, in that regard, I am happy with School A funding offer. Also, I have a family and need to be in a place where I can balance work/life properly.

I am almost decided to just send my acceptance to school A and be over with, but I don't know if I should wait for other opportunities (not that I will get a lot, considering the  date.

Advise will be appreciated.

It sounds like you don't even want to go to school B, so why wait for them? If that is the case, just accept School A. If you are really hoping for School B because it's your dream or something, then wait til April 14 before accepting School A. That gives you the max amount of time to figure out if you got off the waitlist at School B.

Edited by iphi

In general, I think that the reason for being undecided yet lies solely on school rank and my friends living in that city, because, in general, I think school A may be a better fit for me. I contacted a graduate from school B program and she said great things about the program, but the negative issues were regarding funding (and, as stated before, that is a major issue for me) and she also mentioned something regarding the organization of the program (negatively) and I found some similar comments in the results search here at Grad Cafe...

I think I would like to go to school A, but I am afraid of making the wrong decision (if I ever make it off the waitlist) in terms of career. Or maybe I am putting too much weight to school rank.

sighs.....

I don't think school A will be a wrong decision. You are very much leaning towards that program as it is. Besides, you'd be taking a risk funding wise with school B. Are the pros of the program worth that risk?

Edited by lxwllms

It definitely sounds like you're leaning a lot toward A anyway, and it seems like B is not only a riskier option, but also a less fitting one. If you feel like the decision is rushed, then just sit on it for a week so you're sure (you still have time). I did the same thing, and even though I knew where I wanted to go, it helped me be sure that I wasn't making the wrong decision. 

• 3 weeks later...

I know you've already made your decision but my advice for anyone in this situation is never rely on a waitlist that may never come through.  A waitlist is never a guarantee of an offer.

I had the same feeling like one person posted there. obviously deep in your heart you liked school A better. But just concerned about the ranking. Seriously for me ranking should not be a priority on decision making. 

Your overall grad school life matters MORE. 

Good luck

You are right, my main concern was ranking. But I have come to learn that other factors are more relevant when added up.

Also, what smpalesh said is true, because, at the end, I didn't even make it out of the wait list!!!!