MA Linguistics at Syracuse or NCSU?

Evabestrong

I'm admitted to MA linguistics programs at Syracuse University and North Carolina State University, both with sufficient funding. I'm having such a hard time deciding which program I should join. I've actually done a lot of work researching both schools--contacting alumni, looking at their courses, etc.-- but that just makes me more undetermined. I like them both.

Any comments on these two programs? Any suggestions on how to make up my mind?

Thanks in advance.

It might help to know what your goals are for getting the degree. Also, do you have weather preferences? Is the stipend the same at both schools? Is the placement record the same (for what you want to do in particular)? Did you get along with potential advisors just the same? 

It might help to know what your goals are for getting the degree. Also, do you have weather preferences? Is the stipend the same at both schools? Is the placement record the same (for what you want to do in particular)? Did you get along with potential advisors just the same? 

Thank you for your reply fuzzy!

My goal is to figure out how suitable and committed I'm for doing research, and to get prepared for PhD (if I have interest and talent for research) or get prepared for a job (if I don't like research or can't excel at it). 

I've heard of snow in Syracuse. It seems to be inconvenient, but that will not be my major concern, if it is a concern at all.

The stipend is similar. I guess they adjust it according to the local living expenses.

I don't have the exact statistics for placement, but there are alumni from both schools getting into great graduate schools for PhD programs. 

I have not got in contact with professors. Actually I don't know who will be my advisers. It seems like students are supposed to choose advisers after a semester or something. 

If you have any other comments/advice, they will be highly valued. Thank you!

Well I am not all that familiar with these schools but my impression is that Syracuse might be better for a more rounded education, especially if you don't know what you want to do next. I would suggest trying to talk to some potential advisors, if you have any kind of idea who they might be. Getting along with them will be very important to your success. 

I'm not sure about Syracuse, but another thing to consider is cost of living. Raleigh is quite cheap compared to other university towns you'd find in other states and cost of living is really quite good.

If you have questions about the program at NCSU, just pm me!

Well I am not all that familiar with these schools but my impression is that Syracuse might be better for a more rounded education, especially if you don't know what you want to do next. I would suggest trying to talk to some potential advisors, if you have any kind of idea who they might be. Getting along with them will be very important to your success. 

Thank you the advice! But I feel it would be awkward to contact the professors when I have not decided to join them...

What are your research interests in linguistics and academic background?

I was an undergrad English major in a non-English-speaking country...Honestly I have a very limited knowledge of linguistics. I did my thesis in sociolinguistics though. It was interesting but it's not like I'm ready to devote my whole life to it...

I'm not sure about Syracuse, but another thing to consider is cost of living. Raleigh is quite cheap compared to other university towns you'd find in other states and cost of living is really quite good.

If you have questions about the program at NCSU, just pm me!

Thank you for this information and for being willing to help!!

Thank you the advice! But I feel it would be awkward to contact the professors when I have not decided to join them...

It's a fair part of the process, and it's an important consideration so it's worth getting over your apprehension. You will not be the first person to ask to speak with someone about the program, I assure you. And you also will not be the first person to turn down their admissions offer (whichever one you decline). 

Chiming in to agree with Fuzzy, I feel that most professors would be more than happy to talk with you more about your questions about the program or the research. It may also be helpful to ask them to put you in touch with current grad students so you can get direct information about the atmosphere of the program and area.

I was an undergrad English major in a non-English-speaking country...Honestly I have a very limited knowledge of linguistics. I did my thesis in sociolinguistics though. It was interesting but it's not like I'm ready to devote my whole life to it...

Oh, ok. I think aiming for a well-rounded foundation in linguistics would be good then. Honestly, from what you've said so far I'm sure either place would be good for you (not that I know the departments), and much of the experience also depends on you.

This doesn't really have anything to do with choosing a program, but I studied other things in my undergrad and jumped to linguistics for my MA as well, and I just want to say that it goes by so quickly and there isn't a ton of time to figure things out, so you need to be proactive. If you want a taste of research, see if you could get involved with a project right when you start, so that might be something you want to ask each program about. 

Also, since you're not sure if you want to go on to do a PhD yet and could potentially find a job doing something else, you could also check how the programs prepare people for that.

The department at NCSU has a very involved and well-rounded linguistics program, with a good concentration in sociolinguistics. In fact, this weekend they are holding conferences (LAVIS IV and SECOL 82) that cover a wide variety of topics in linguistics, especially on linguistics in the southeast. Multiple departments are participating, ENG, FLL (I will be a Hispanic Linguistics MA student in the fall), etc. 

The programs, from what I understand and know about my own, are also very flexible in allowing you to take what you would like to better tailor your education. Some students in my program are even taking undergrad English linguistics courses. They have plenty of options as far as coursework to make sure that you are getting the information that you need, and their professors are very willing to work with you to make sure that you are on a good level. You can also easily look at graduate minors (only 3 courses), such as cognitive science, which really overlaps in your department, but allows you to take courses in other departments that might help you narrow down what it really is that you want to do. (Example: I'm doing the cog sci minor, and gearing it toward expanding my knowledge of psycholinguistics and English linguistics.)

They really know how to work their connections, as well. My professors are already discussing research topics (mildly) with me and making me feel like an integrated student even though I haven't even started yet. It is my opinion that the linguistics programs at NC State are very underrated. Professors have provided me with testimonials from graduated students that have pursued PhDs, gone into the work force, teaching, everything. There is a wide variety of output/placement for graduates of NC State, and professors are always complimented on the knowledge of their PhD students, even though they're only studying for the MA.

I can't speak much about Syracuse, but this is what I can offer about NC State. Best of luck to you!

Edited by scarvesandcardigans

Thank you all for your valuable advice! I'm going to NCSU!

Honestly, from what you've said so far I'm sure either place would be good for you (not that I know the departments), and much of the experience also depends on you.

That really helped helped to ease my anxiety.