Just need a space to vent. For my frazzled nerves.

Shoelle

Technically, I have already accepted an offer for a *wonderful* and exciting, top-ranked MA program in my field. I was forced to, to be competitive in the consideration of TA-ships (which only confirmed students were allowed to apply for a few weeks ago). Kind of horrible that they forced our hands early in this way with no guarantee of funding, but I can understand the logistical nightmare of creating a schedule and having to redo it whenever people change their minds. Still.

Thing is, I won't go without the tuition remission a TA-ship would net me. I just can't risk putting my family into debt for the sake of a master's in a humanities field. 

I should find out today whether I got the TA-ship or not....by the end of the week Friday at the latest. I *cannot* stop checking my inbox compulsively; it's even worse than waiting for acceptance decisions. If I don't get it, all my carefully laid plans go out the window. I don't have a good alternative. I'm so nervous.  

I think I have a better shot than most because I have a few years of professional teaching and curriculum design experience. But I (and all the other master's students) am also competing against PhD candidates. So who knows. 

If only I could stop obsessing. Sorry, just needed to vent. 

(Edited for coherence. I'm that skittish right now.)

Edited by Shoelle

I totally understand your position! The programme I applied to sent me a congratulatory mail on getting accepted on 31st march with a promise to let me know about funding "shortly". Pursuing a phd without funding is ridiculous and so I am stuck compulsively checking my inbox. Gaaaaaah!!! Still no news on the funds package is making me beyond jittery!!

Technically, I have already accepted an offer for a *wonderful* and exciting, top-ranked MA program in my field. I was forced to, to be competitive in the consideration of TA-ships (which only confirmed students were allowed to apply for a few weeks ago). Kind of horrible that they forced our hands early in this way with no guarantee of funding, but I can understand the logistical nightmare of creating a schedule and having to redo it whenever people change their minds. Still.

Thing is, I won't go without the tuition remission a TA-ship would net me. I just can't risk putting my family into debt for the sake of a master's in a humanities field. 

I should find out today whether I got the TA-ship or not....by the end of the week Friday at the latest. I *cannot* stop checking my inbox compulsively; it's even worse than waiting for acceptance decisions. If I don't get it, all my carefully laid plans go out the window. I don't have a good alternative. I'm so nervous.  

I think I have a better shot than most because I have a few years of professional teaching and curriculum design experience. But I (and all the other master's students) am also competing against PhD candidates. So who knows. 

If only I could stop obsessing. Sorry, just needed to vent. 

(Edited for coherence. I'm that skittish right now.)

This. I was accepted into a small department that only admits two or three students and generally has two GTAs which come with tuition remission and a stipend. I, and two other students were accepted. However, they applied and were accepted and notified about funding in the fall where I waited until January to submit my application. So here I sit...on the waitlist for funding. I spoke with the Chair of the Department, who was lovely, and told me that "moment for funding" has not passed...and I think she's right...but it only happens if one of the other accepted students declines their offer. This program is an excellent fit for me but I refuse to pay for an MA in the humanities where the degree doesn't make me uniquely qualified to do anything else after graduation and doesn't significantly increase my job prospects. So...last night I came to a decision. On April 15th, I'm either offered funding or a decline their offer and apply again to the same program next year.

It's really painful when you are accepted in programs you really want to go, but you can't secure funding. And the idea of applying next year just because of that is even more painful :-(

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use