Advice for a non-art background person?

Barber

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum (this place has been a gold mine and all of your works are great! Congrat to y'all on getting in!) and am interesting in applying to the 2016 admissions cycle for my MFA in sculpture.

Heres the thing... I don't have an art background (an undergrad minor doesn't really count) and by B.S in is chemistry. I currently work for the Fed. I did not know if this would strongly affect me in my application; if anything I have some very diversified real world experience. I know that most admissions are based soley on portfolio, and I think I'm decently strong in that subject.

And advice would be appreciated, be it from other non-art background people, or current MFA sculpture students. (Also how the hell do you write an artists statement?)

Thank you so much in advance!

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum (this place has been a gold mine and all of your works are great! Congrat to y'all on getting in!) and am interesting in applying to the 2016 admissions cycle for my MFA in sculpture.

Heres the thing... I don't have an art background (an undergrad minor doesn't really count) and by B.S in is chemistry. I currently work for the Fed. I did not know if this would strongly affect me in my application; if anything I have some very diversified real world experience. I know that most admissions are based soley on portfolio, and I think I'm decently strong in that subject.

And advice would be appreciated, be it from other non-art background people, or current MFA sculpture students. (Also how the hell do you write an artists statement?)

Thank you so much in advance!

I think as long as the portfolio is strong then you're probably good. It probably also depends on the program-but when I visited Yale Sculpture there were a couple students from non-art backgrounds. Maybe if u spent the next year building your portfolio as much as possible and also try to engage with art communities (residencies, shows etc) would be good Edited by chiboi2015

nobody in my current mfa sculpture program has a BFA, and while most of us studied art in some capacity in undergrad, we all come from diverse academic backgrounds that didn't explicitly privilege artmaking over a liberal arts or generally well-rounded education. i think a science background is a huge plus for the top schools; they are interested in gathering a diverse and intellectual group of students who will bring new information and perspectives to the table. 

• 4 months later...

Hi guys! Applying for an MFA in painting after immense trepidation! Also a BS in chemistry! Left my job to focus full time on building a portfolio.  I hear ya  09welshs! 

• 2 weeks later...

I am starting an MFA program this year at SUNY Purchase.  I have a PhD in economic sociology and had zero art credits.  I started drawing as a hobby, moved into painting and printmaking and it took over my life.  I applied to 10 programs last year and got into 5.  There was no rhyme or reason to the acceptances.  I'm sure my background put off some programs and attracted others.  I'm not sure there is a way to figure out if there is a bias for/against your other life experience beforehand.   The current grad student body might tell you something.  

Remember that MFA programs are looking for diversity and that can sometimes translate as an advantage for you.  So, even if you think you don't have the strongest portfolio, aim high.  The process is so random you may end up with some great options.  

Good luck and let us know how it goes.