Working during USU post bacc

Has anyone worked while doing the online post bacc?

I was thinking of registering for the 7 week session that starts the end of June, but I need to know if I can work my 40 hour a week job still or if I need to make some huge life changes here.

Any advice?

My other idea was to apply to some WOB schools for fall 2016. Any advice on doing this...? Any suggestions for affordable programs? I am having the hardest time figuring out which schools actually have a WOB program and which don't, or rarely accept students.

I'm also considering the CSUN online post bacc if anyone has any advise for that.

I haven't take online courses before so I'm just not sure if it's something I'll be successful in.

I'm currently a USU post back student. I took 4 credits in the fall, 5 credits this Spring, and will take 3 this summer. I worked 15-25 hours a week with about a 5 minute commute. The first semester classes are easier and more manageable. The second semester is very difficult. A lot of time consuming work (group projects, papers, researching and setting up observations etc.)

There are people who work a 40 hour a week job and have a family. I honestly don't know how they do it. I would think long and hard about it. You could always see how first two weeks go and then make your decision. Or ask if you can work part time hours at your current job?

I would take a look at your commute, talk to your boss about any flexibility he/she could have. You will need to go take proctor exams that will take sometimes more than a one hour lunch break. There are places open on Saturdays.

Hope this helps.

Are the USU online classes available during the 7 week session?

At USU, you can take as many or as few classes as you want at a time. I would register for what you hope to be able to do courseload wise, and keep the drop deadline in mind. You can always drop after the first week or so once you see the syllabus, do the first reading assignment, and get an idea of what you can handle. You can always start with only 1 class the first semester to see if the online format works for you.

I only took 2-3 classes at a time so I could do some volunteer work, maintain my GPA, and keep up with family responsibilities, with no job. But, you always hear about the people who just had triplets, work, and still get their postbacc done in a year. ;) 

I'm currently a USU post back student. I took 4 credits in the fall, 5 credits this Spring, and will take 3 this summer. I worked 15-25 hours a week with about a 5 minute commute. The first semester classes are easier and more manageable. The second semester is very difficult. A lot of time consuming work (group projects, papers, researching and setting up observations etc.)

There are people who work a 40 hour a week job and have a family. I honestly don't know how they do it. I would think long and hard about it. You could always see how first two weeks go and then make your decision. Or ask if you can work part time hours at your current job?

I would take a look at your commute, talk to your boss about any flexibility he/she could have. You will need to go take proctor exams that will take sometimes more than a one hour lunch break. There are places open on Saturdays.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, just wanted to check if you mean credits or classes? I think the usual credit load is if you want to finish in three semesters is 12,11, and 12 (4 classes each semester) not including any other classes you might want to take or need for ASHA.

I agree, it's doable to work! I wouldn't recommend working full time honestly, but some people do. How much probably depends upon what type of work, how many credits you take, what type of learner you are. 

I think you can only do the 14 week or so sessions for fall, spring and summer sessions. I work 40 hours plus overtime sometimes, and have been taking two a semester the last year. For the first classes three may be manageable but I find two the perfect amount to still be able to enjoy some free time and not be holed up all weekend!

The COMD classes are only offered during the full 14 week summer session, which starts in May, I think.

I just finished USU's online post bacc program in December. I worked 40+ hours per week during the program. For the first 3 semesters I took 2 classes each semester, then I took 3 classes for the last 2 semesters. It took me 5 semesters total. I also have two 2nd grade kids that I juggled in that work/school/family mix. I won't lie...it was tough, but doable. I didn't have much time for myself, but I needed to keep working, so I just did what I had to.

I think you can only do the 14 week or so sessions for fall, spring and summer sessions. I work 40 hours plus overtime sometimes, and have been taking two a semester the last year. For the first classes three may be manageable but I find two the perfect amount to still be able to enjoy some free time and not be holed up all weekend!

I was working a FT and a PT job (~55 hrs/week) plus volunteering (~5 hrs/week) while doing post-bacc, and I found doing two classes was pretty stress-free. My courses were online, though, and if you were doing them in person it could lead to scheduling conflicts.

Granted, it is *possible* to do more than two - for the recent fall term I juggled four 7-week (ENMU) and two 13-week (USU) classes while maintaining that work schedule and managed to have an okay social life. Still, I would not recommend overloading yourself unless you are really used to balancing work and study.

Sorry, just wanted to check if you mean credits or classes? I think the usual credit load is if you want to finish in three semesters is 12,11, and 12 (4 classes each semester) not including any other classes you might want to take or need for ASHA.

I agree, it's doable to work! I wouldn't recommend working full time honestly, but some people do. How much probably depends upon what type of work, how many credits you take, what type of learner you are. 

Sorry I meant classes! 4 classes (12 credits), 5 classes in Spring (14 credits), while take 3 classes this Fall (9 credits).

I say get your post-bacc done as soon as you can, so you can get in to grad school and come out making an SLP salary to help pay down the loans. Unless your 40 hour a week job makes good money and can help you pay as you go for school.

I was working a FT and a PT job (~55 hrs/week) plus volunteering (~5 hrs/week) while doing post-bacc, and I found doing two classes was pretty stress-free. My courses were online, though, and if you were doing them in person it could lead to scheduling conflicts.

Granted, it is *possible* to do more than two - for the recent fall term I juggled four 7-week (ENMU) and two 13-week (USU) classes while maintaining that work schedule and managed to have an okay social life. Still, I would not recommend overloading yourself unless you are really used to balancing work and study.

I see you applied and got accdepted into City University London? Do you plan on getting a SLP license abroad and living in London? Or can you come back to the U.S. and take Praxis and be licensed in any state with an out-of-country degree?

Alright, so I'm thinking I'll take 2 USU classes at a time and continue working. It will take me an extra year to get done with the post-bacc, but I think either way a lot of schools are going to hesitate at accepting someone with only one semester of pre-reqs under their belt. 

If I take two classes at a time I can pay for it as I go because I make pretty decent money. I'm a nanny and I really love my job, so I'm happy to stay an extra year until they go to preschool.

Everyone has such great things to say about USU's online post-bacc. It's reassuring haha. Thanks for all the input!!

PS if anyone knows online classes to fulfill those new ASHA requirements (physical science and statistics) that are super easy... share the info  ;)  ;)

Edited by SLPsara

So they actually put the syllabus on the USU website to read. I see that exams MUST be taken at specific times and proctored. When does this usually occur? I can take off work, but just wondering how often to expect this haha

So they actually put the syllabus on the USU website to read. I see that exams MUST be taken at specific times and proctored. When does this usually occur? I can take off work, but just wondering how often to expect this haha

You actually have a lot of flexibility with exams. I think all of mine have been open for a whole week during which time you can take them whenever you see fit (literally if you do it through proctorU you could take them on a Saturday at 4am if you wanted). I have a proctor through my local library, so I just  email her a day or two ahead of time and drive right over when I'm ready. 

You actually have a lot of flexibility with exams. I think all of mine have been open for a whole week during which time you can take them whenever you see fit (literally if you do it through proctorU you could take them on a Saturday at 4am if you wanted). I have a proctor through my local library, so I just  email her a day or two ahead of time and drive right over when I'm ready. 

You have to find your own proctor, right?

Did you just ask some random librarian, or...? I don't personally know anyone who applies to what they're asking for. How do you recommend I go about it?

By the way, you're beyond helpful. 

You have to find your own proctor, right?

Did you just ask some random librarian, or...? I don't personally know anyone who applies to what they're asking for. How do you recommend I go about it?

By the way, you're beyond helpful. 

There is a website where you can find a proctor in your area. If you don't have one, then yes. You can call your local library. Most likely they will do it for free. Their is a registration process on their end.

There is a website where you can find a proctor in your area. If you don't have one, then yes. You can call your local library. Most likely they will do it for free. Their is a registration process on their end.

Yep, you must find your own proctor. USU has a website which should list all proctors in your area. If they do not have a proctor in your area or if they charge a fee then you can request a proctor you have found to be registered through USU. Usually they just have to be affiliated with some institution of learning (ex. library, school, university / just not a personal friend). Some people do say they have a hard time finding a proctor, but I never had any difficulty. Many libraries offer proctoring services for free or a marginal fee (5$), so I would start by searching the USU website to see if local librarians are listed or calling them if they are not and asking if they are willing become registered (it's quite an easy process for them). I also know a lot of students use proctorU. The upside is that you can schedule a test virtually whenever you want and don't have to worry about proctor availability. The downside is that they are pricey (around 25$ per test, depends on length of test and how far in advance you schedule). I have never used them, but it is another option.  

I see you applied and got accdepted into City University London? Do you plan on getting a SLP license abroad and living in London? Or can you come back to the U.S. and take Praxis and be licensed in any state with an out-of-country degree?

I'm intending to stay in the UK since it's home for me. However, I'm now thinking I'll take the place at Northeastern because I much prefer the programme, so I'm actually going to be dealing with this situation in reverse!

One thing I will mention as a caution to save you some grief if you are considering studying in the UK: you *will not* be able to work there unless you have nationality from a EU member state. In the last five years it has been made virtually impossible to get a UK visa unless it's by intracompany transfer or for a shortage profession, which SLP is not.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Where were you thinking of applying there?