CSU East Bay

Does anybody know anything about Cal State East Bay's program? I just got into its extended program today. It says the program takes 3.5-4 years!! I can't find enough information about its clinical placement and curriculum...I'm not from California and I know it's not easy to get into schools in CA, but a 4-year program seems too long....

Greatly appreciated if anyone could give me some input. Thanks in advance!! 

What worried me in their info session is their reasoning for taking so long. Grad students get least priority for undergrad classes. Therefore, there is a risk of not getting the classes you need, a problem that has become endemic in some cal state schools due to budget cuts.

If you're looking into credential, you will need to complete extra credits on top of the Masters for East Bay. It will take you longer to finish. Might not be a big deal... And you have five years to finish everything. Can be tight.

In regards to pre reqs and 5 years to finish, it can be tight. And the loan that might be needed to take for cost of living plus not working for this long is another factor to consider for this school.

CFY is harder to find outside school setting (not sure if this is true, please double-check, as that's what I heard).

They have limited spots for EM people taking pre reqs before the actual masters starts. So there's a chance of not being accepted in all classes the EM students enroll. This is a huge concern, as you have five years to finish and this can delay your graduation year because of pre-reqs.

It's also a commuter school. Harder to make friends.

Rent prices are high. Do NOT rent in Hayward if accepted.

As far as positives, it's a beautiful campus.

Congrats on your acceptances.

Hope I helped a bit!

Edited by lslp

If you're looking into credential, you will need to complete extra credits on top of the Masters for East Bay. It will take you longer to finish. Might not be a big deal... And you have five years to finish everything. Can be tight.

Thanks so much @Islp !!  OMG 5 years! That's really long! Did you also apply to their EM program? Have you talked to the department or students there? It's hard for me to get enough information about the school and program. But I really want to move to California and work there after graduation.

What worried me in their info session is their reasoning for taking so long. Grad students get least priority for undergrad classes. Therefore, there is a risk of not getting the classes you need, a problem that has become endemic in some cal state schools due to budget cuts.

Thanks @Chandru1. So they mentioned this "priority problem" in their info session? Is that why you didn't apply to their program? Did they say anything about their clinical placement?

In addition to the class problem, the admissions representatives told me that with my GPA, I would be a much more competitive applicant if I took a Postbac year and earned a 4.0 in those courses. Hence, I didn't think I would get in this time around.

They didn't say much about clinical placements, but they have a lot in-house. In addition, you're in the heart of one of the most popular regions of CA. I doubt opportunities are hard to come by.

Hi again!

Yes, 5 years is the maximum you can be at the program. For the EM, 3 and a half to four is what they say, and you need extra credits on top of this time estimate to finish credentials (which can be tight).

I have lived in the area for 9 years. I heard about the program from friends who know about it and drove by when they were close. Some friends didn't apply there, only to SJSU.

If we both decide to go here, we will study together. I really want to stay local, since this is home for me (and I haven't heard from SJSU yet). You can always move to California after your program. Don't let this be your decision-factor. It's easy to relocate for employment opportunities, since the area has shortage of professionals. But of course, only you know what's best for yourself.

I agree with Chandru, this area has a lot of opportunities for public schools. However, not a lot for hospitals for CFY.

Degree Requirements

The program leading to the M.S. degree in Speech-Language Pathology requires completion of at least 74 quarter units of credit with grades of "B" (3.0) or better from the courses listed below. The Speech-Language Pathology Services Credential track prepares a student to apply for California's Speech-Language Pathology Services Credential. It is 78 units and requires the completion of the M.S. degree, EPSY 5021 Introduction to Educating all Students in Diverse Classrooms (4), and fulfillment of the State of California's Basic Skills Requirement. The work must be completed within five calendar years after admission to the program. At least 63 units must be completed in residence.

http://www20.csueastbay.edu/ecat/graduate-chapters/g-sppa.html#dept-info

Edited by lslp

Thanks @Chandru1 @Islp.

I contacted the department and confirmed that their students in the extended program are guaranteed all required SLP undergrad classes, so we will not have to worry about it taking longer.  

I accepted the offer today! So excited!

That's great to know they are now committed! It helps my decision, too! We will probably study together!!!

Send me a message if you would like some help with areas that are good to rent at.

I am strongly considering accepting at East Bay today -- (I know it's my last day) but I am terrified of cost of living in the area!! My BF and I don't need a big place, 1bdrm is fine, but he needs to have a garage, as he builds and restores furniture for his business. Anyone have any insight as to how to make this work for a relatively reasonable amount of money?? I grew up in the bay area but haven't lived there in 12 years, and I really don't know much about neighborhoods / cities in the east bay. :wacko:

I am strongly considering accepting at East Bay today -- (I know it's my last day) but I am terrified of cost of living in the area!! My BF and I don't need a big place, 1bdrm is fine, but he needs to have a garage, as he builds and restores furniture for his business. Anyone have any insight as to how to make this work for a relatively reasonable amount of money?? I grew up in the bay area but haven't lived there in 12 years, and I really don't know much about neighborhoods / cities in the east bay. :wacko:

At least you're not in SF where the cost is much higher!

Hayward is a bit cheaper than the bigger cities, but if you move farther south or east, then you'll find even less expensive areas. Depends on how much you want to commute.

I'd say look into Pleasant Hill or Walnut Creek. Spend a little more for safety. It helps. Hayward has a lot of crime. Campus is fine, however. I'll certainly join the group later. My work cannot know yet.

Union City, Newark, Alameda are good choices for short commutes. Oakland and Berkeley are also good choices, but traffic is hell even to/from these places. Maybe you guys can connect with current grad students/second year grad students who will be moving and see if you can take over their lease or sublet (those who are subletting).

I don't recommend Oakland other than Oakland Hills. Oakland is worse than Hayward.

Edited by lslp