How to argue for fellowship for Master Program(CS, CMU)?

Yiming

Hi all,

I was admitted to MSCS program in CMU. But I never got to know the exact tuition fee until I have accepted their admission because of the system accident this year (Some of you guys must have heard of it).

Then I realize CMU has a astonishingly high tuition fee with 45000$ a year. I really do not want to spend that much money of my parents. 

So have you ever wrote a letter to argue for a fellowship for master program? Or CS program even better. Can you tell me some advice on how to argue for it?

I do not want to give CMU the impression that if I do not get the fellowship I will leave. All I want is a fellowship that can cover part of my tuition(like more than 20%).

Thank you a lot for reading my topic. Should you have any advice or question, please reply!

Edited by Yiming

Have you any offers from any other universities? Maybe you can bargain. See this link for reference: http://prelaw-guru.com/blog/how-to-negotiate-scholarships/

Thank you grindian. I have read the link and I think it is a great help.

I have received MEng@Cornell with 10000$ scholarship, MS@UCLA, MS@Yale, MS@Columbia, and some other school like Chicago, Dartmouth but not on the same level.

I think the peer school should be Cornell here. 

One more thing, who should I write negotiation letter to? The article in the link said write to admission officer. Should I write to the dean or the secretary? 

Thank you again for answering!

Edited by Yiming

You want to write to the Director of Graduate Studies for that department to ask for a fellowship. 

Thanks a lot, I am working on my letter to the director now.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use