Feeling bad

heyo

I got in to basically my top choice program. Everything was going to be great.

On April 14, I found out (only through some of my own prodding) that the professor I was going to work with is leaving, and the only other professor in my area is no longer taking students. I'm so disappointed that I don't really even want to go anywhere anymore. But I can't do that because I haven't been employed for almost two years and probably wouldn't be able to get a job even if I wanted to.

The rest of the programs are significantly worse in either the quality of the program or of life where they are located (for me) or both.

It feels so much worse getting what you want and then having it taken from you than it does just never getting it in the first place... :(

Edited by heyo

Wow, what an unfortunate situation. I'm so sorry - it's majorly lame that this is happening to you. I think the best thing you can do right now, since this program is still significantly better in your eyes than your other options, would be to talk to the director of graduate studies and/or graduate student coordinator in your department and see what they recommend. Do they foresee hiring a replacement soon? Can they recommend another adviser? Would the other prof in your area reconsider taking you on given the circumstance? Could you work with an outside adviser at another school in the area, or explore a more interdisciplinary curriculum and find advisers in other departments to fill the gaps? If there is a strong base of courses you could take in the department and they would be flexible about letting you mix and match advisers, you may be fine. 

Edited by brown_eyed_girl

I don't really know much about the feasibility of this, but I have heard of people changing schools to follow their adviser. Do you think this might be a possibility? Is this person leaving this year or next year?

But perhaps this is only done when someone is further along into their research and thesis.

If you could tough it out for a couple of years, you could attend and leave with a masters. Then apply for PhD's that are a better fit.

Edited by jenste

If you think you might have a better fit at other schools that accepted you now, then talk to your other schools immediately. Some places (like some programs at my school) will actually allow people who they accepted in the past year to attend, even if you turned them down already.

Thank you for your responses.

I think the professor is not entirely leaving, but whatever is happening I don't think I can work with him. One of his current students is looking at the option of either going with the other professor in my field (maybe the extra burden is why he is not going to take students) or switching schools.

I will talk to the department head I guess. At this point I'm kind of seriously wishing I hadn't asked any questions and just committed, dealing with whatever fallout later on; maybe if I found myself there without having known all this, I'd be able to act as that current student. But now the professors know that I know...

I do have other offers (so why complain right? Grad-first-world problems), but it is very disappointing to say the least.

Edited by heyo