Business casual

fuzzylogician

I'm invited to attend a reception for presidential fellows at my university. The invitation says to "dress business casual"--but what does that mean for women? keep in mind that I've just moved across the Atlantic with about 3 pairs of pants and 10 t-shirts, nothing fancy. I know enough not to wear my torn jeans and "pretend I'm a tree and hug me" shirt, but what should I wear? Are dark linen pants ok? same color or striped simple shirt? do I need to borrow a jacket from someone?

The pants sound perfect. If the shirt is a T-shirt/causal type, I would borrow a cardigan from someone. Or if it is somewhere in between dress it up with some jewlery/a scarf and nice shoes.

(Can you tell I love clothes?) Have fun!

Thanks!

Now all I need is to borrow a cardigan, nice shoes and a scarf :P

Thanks for the offer and the suggestions! I'm at Cambridge MA, so I'll have to find some other kind soul to lend me their clothes :)

I swear I love clothes too, but I'm all out of cash this month what with moving across the Atlantic and having to buy all new furniture, appliances, food and all that (damn MIT, why only pay stipends at the end of the month??). .

Thanks for the offer and the suggestions! I'm at Cambridge MA, so I'll have to find some other kind soul to lend me their clothes :)

I swear I love clothes too, but I'm all out of cash this month what with moving across the Atlantic and having to buy all new furniture, appliances, food and all that (damn MIT, why only pay stipends at the end of the month??). .

Probably so you make sure to use it on rent, rather than blowing it all on clothes (or camera gear, which is my weakness).

Probably so you make sure to use it on rent, rather than blowing it all on clothes (or camera gear, which is my weakness).

I would have preferred the "here, don't spend it all in one place" approach..

On that note, it just started raining (relatively) massively outside. Note to self: add to must-buy-this-month list water proof shoes and a raincoat.

Oh! I love Cambridge so much. Go eat ice cream at Toscanini's in Central Sq (but probably only at the end of the month, as it is pricey). And go for a walk in Mount Auburn Cemetery; it is beautiful. And go to lots of movies at the Kendall Square Cinema.

(Can you tell I miss Cambridge? Good luck this semester!)

• 1 month later...

FuzzyLogician, Filene's Basement (green line, Boylston St) can be a good place to pick up some items cheap. Or Goodwill in Davis Sq. Even Sears at C-Side.

Definitely, definitely get good boots when you see them (waterproof is even better because the rain gutters back up when it snows). Payless (a couple nearby) usually has some cheap/decent options.

Wait--you can afford furniture? :P

Thanks for the advice, ruralworks4me! Winter clothes shopping has been on my to-do list for two months now. Can't postpone it much longer, though the weather has mostly been dry and nice. I'll be sure to check out the places you mention!

Wait--you can afford furniture? :P

Define "afford" :blink:

I've found shopping in Cambridge/Boston to be a bit of a challenge. If you have a chance to shop in the 'burbs outside of town or in your hometown (if you head back at Thanksgiving, for example), it might save you some headaches. I do a lot of catalog/internet shopping.