Go to GWU and stay in DC vs going to a better program outside of DC

RedPill

For someone who is fairly certain about a Washington, DC career, would it make sense to find a job and study part-time at GWU (or go full time) or go to a higher ranked/brand name program outside of the DC area?

I'm dreaming about the incredible part-time internship opportunities each semester if I end up at GWU, but a mores prestigious/higher ranked program might have its own plusses. 

Thoughts?

Disclaimer: This thread isn't meant to knock. GWU. It's an incredible school with great programs. 

Here's my perspective, as someone who's currently working at an international organization in DC, and who plans to cut back to working part-time while attending GW in the fall:

If your dream is to work for the State Department, or the IMF, or Brookings, or some other impressive DC-area employer, a master's degree from GW will be enough to get you into the door. Someone with a MA from Princeton isn't going to look significantly better on paper, unless they also have more impressive work experiences and language skills. 

The thing is, in DC, it's all about who you know and where you come from. I've met so many awful, inept people who have fantastic jobs because 1) they were introduced informally to the guy in charge of hiring or 2) they used to work for some impressive organization and will keep milking the hell out of that one job until the day they retire. And I've met tons of people with bachelor's degrees from no-name colleges who manage hundreds of people with MAs and PhDs while raking in hundreds of thousands in bonuses each year. In the end, where you got your master's degree is really inconsequential, unless you plan to pursue a career in research or academia.

If I sound jaded, I don't mean to be. DC is actually a fantastic place to live and work. My schedule is packed every day with free lectures and panels at think tanks, free workshops and meetups at tech startups, free performances at the Kennedy Center, free tours and celebrations at museums, etc. All of which present opportunities to network with people who work at State, DOD, think tanks, NGOs and who are surprisingly open to passing your resume along to a friend or a colleague, or to grab coffee for an informational interview. I honestly can't see myself ever moving away.

Edited by magnoliuzz

That's exactly my thinking. Part-time would be ideal I feel, but if I end up at GWU full-time, the internship opportunities in the DC area would be phenomenal. I won't have the same opportunities at a Michigan/Princeton/Harvard program. I'm definitely interested in a DC career, so why would I opt for living elsewhere when I can study minutes away from my dream employers? 

Now the question is what if I have to pay at GWU and not elsewhere? :P

Edited by RedPill

Don't talk the Elliot School down too much. It's certainly a step down from Harvard/Princeton and probably a touch below SAIS/Fletcher, but it's still one of the best programs in the world. And as magno so eloquently put it, it is that first job/foot in the door that matters most. And your brilliant networking skills. 

I'm 2.5 yrs out of grad school now and just was browsing, thought I could chime in. I lived in DC for a few years. I figured I had a big enough DC network in politics/NGOs that I could leave DC for grad school, so that's what I did. In fact, I made it a priority to leave DC while still branding myself to return. I went to Maxwell for my MPA and I couldn't be happier because 1) I chose a university with another huge DC network, 2) I got my degree for CHEAP compared to my peers, 3) I was able to learn a critical language while there. Every MPA student ends the program with a consulting engagement-like experience, and my client was a USAID office responsible for civil society assessments. So even if you leave DC, you can come back if you line things up right. However, somehow GW and the other DC-based programs are able to line up so many federal internships and fellowships. That may have changed at Maxwell since opening their DC-hub in the brand new CSIS building and Dean Steinberg made it a priority to grow those types of connections.