Questions on PhD in biostatistics application

janh

I am planning to apply for a PhD in Biostatistics (2016 Fall), here I got several questions for my application. I want to apply for the top 10 programme in biostatistics, but I really do not have an idea of the application.

1. I am not from mathematics nor statistics, but I have 1-2 mathematics course in college, and got 3-year research experience in public health, currently preparing for a paper submission. I wonder whether the lack of mathematics background would be an obstacle for my application? or does the research experience help a bit?

2. How important is the GRE score? Currently I got Verbal152, Quantitative170, AW4.0. I think my Quantitative and AW is fine for biostatistics. But it seems that the Verbal is not good enough. 

Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thank you.

I believed that mathematics background is extremely important for a PhD in Biostatistics application. At least, Calculus, Linear Algebra, Probability and Real Analysis should be taken. However, if your research is highly quantitative, your background might be regarded as qualified.

I am doing epidemiology. it is applying statistics, but not so theoretical. 

I did learn about calculus, linear algebra and probability, but not separated courses. On my transcript, there is only one course named "advance mathematics". 

I am doing epidemiology. it is applying statistics, but not so theoretical. 

I did learn about calculus, linear algebra and probability, but not separated courses. On my transcript, there is only one course named "advance mathematics". 

Hello, I am also preparing biostat applications for Fall 2016. I'm nearly certain all biostat graduate programs list their prerequisite courses as: calculus through multi-variable calculus, and linear algebra. I'm not familiar with the advance mathematics course you mentioned, so it may be an exception, but my impression is that these prereqs are assumed to be fulfilled in traditional, stand-alone courses (e.g., MATH 141, 142, 241, 544). 

Edited by 2016biostat

I agree with the others. I think it will be difficult to convince a top-10 biostat admissions committee that the math course is equivalent to a calc sequence and linear algebra. Even then you would be at a disadvantage vs. applicants that took real analysis (which is not required, but is a plus).

I had a relatively weak math background when I applied to biostats PhD and most folks recommend I apply to epi programs instead. It really bothered me because I was more interested in biostats and the job opportunities are better. I'm glad I went for biostats (got in to a 5-10 ranked program) but looking back epi PhD is also a great option, and it was more compatible with my math background at the time. I'm sure you've already considered it, but just wanted to mention it.

In my opinion if you really want to do a biostats PhD you will probably have to take one or several math courses first. Maybe Calc III and linear algebra. Might be able to do them online. If you get those math courses in, I think you could potentially be competitive for a program outside the top 5, considering your public health experience and hopefully one or two papers (and hopefully a good undergrad GPA). Might end up having schools admit you to their MS program instead, that happens pretty often.

janh: what citizenship do you have, where did you earn your bachelor's degree, and in which country are you working? What were your grades like? From your writing and the "advance mathematics" course description, I am guessing you didn't do undergrad in the USA. This would make way more of a difference for your admissions chances than how you did on the GRE general. Your coming from a foreign university would mean evaluating your academic preparation is going to be challenging for the faculty on admissions committees at American universities, unless you were a math or statistics major at a top university that has a history of sending students to American statistics PhD programs (e.g. Peking U, Tsinghua U). On top of that, some funding lines are restricted to US citizens/permanent residents only, so space for international students is even more limited, leaving hundreds of foreign applicants competing for a few spots. For both of these reasons, getting into a good biostatistics PhD as an international applicant is very tough -- see this thread for discussion.

You are right that I have already considered Epi PhD, but I want to do biostatistics more than Epi. 

Thank you for your suggestions on online courses. I have done a few statistics courses on coursera. I will consider take a few on mathematics. 

I agree with the others. I think it will be difficult to convince a top-10 biostat admissions committee that the math course is equivalent to a calc sequence and linear algebra. Even then you would be at a disadvantage vs. applicants that took real analysis (which is not required, but is a plus).

I had a relatively weak math background when I applied to biostats PhD and most folks recommend I apply to epi programs instead. It really bothered me because I was more interested in biostats and the job opportunities are better. I'm glad I went for biostats (got in to a 5-10 ranked program) but looking back epi PhD is also a great option, and it was more compatible with my math background at the time. I'm sure you've already considered it, but just wanted to mention it.

In my opinion if you really want to do a biostats PhD you will probably have to take one or several math courses first. Maybe Calc III and linear algebra. Might be able to do them online. If you get those math courses in, I think you could potentially be competitive for a program outside the top 5, considering your public health experience and hopefully one or two papers (and hopefully a good undergrad GPA). Might end up having schools admit you to their MS program instead, that happens pretty often.

I am Chinese and I did my undergrad in Mainland China. My undergraduate GPA is just mediocre. 

The advanced mathematics is different from those stand-alone mathematics course, e.g. calculus and linear algebra. I understand this will be a disadvantage.

And I got a Master of Public Health in the University of Hong Kong (HKU). I did my research in HKU as well. 

Hello, I am also preparing biostat applications for Fall 2016. I'm nearly certain all biostat graduate programs list their prerequisite courses as: calculus through multi-variable calculus, and linear algebra. I'm not familiar with the advance mathematics course you mentioned, so it may be an exception, but my impression is that these prereqs are assumed to be fulfilled in traditional, stand-alone courses (e.g., MATH 141, 142, 241, 544). 

janh: what citizenship do you have, where did you earn your bachelor's degree, and in which country are you working? What were your grades like? From your writing and the "advance mathematics" course description, I am guessing you didn't do undergrad in the USA. This would make way more of a difference for your admissions chances than how you did on the GRE general. Your coming from a foreign university would mean evaluating your academic preparation is going to be challenging for the faculty on admissions committees at American universities, unless you were a math or statistics major at a top university that has a history of sending students to American statistics PhD programs (e.g. Peking U, Tsinghua U). On top of that, some funding lines are restricted to US citizens/permanent residents only, so space for international students is even more limited, leaving hundreds of foreign applicants competing for a few spots. For both of these reasons, getting into a good biostatistics PhD as an international applicant is very tough -- see this thread for discussion.

From having read this board and talked to professors at several top 10 institutions, I think it's exceedingly likely that you will get shut out with your profile. As an international applicant, you're going to be competing for a small handful of funding lines against elite students with research experience, sterling grades, and a mathematical background well beyond the pre-requisites. Your best bet, if you're dead-set on attending a top 10 program, may be to pay your way at the masters' level in a top 10 program that gives preferential admission to its masters' students (Michigan is the most obvious one, but there may be others.)

Edited by hausinthehouse

I think I agree with hausinthehouse. A biostats MS/MPH/MSPH at a top 10 program would be a really good choice. Gives you a chance to develop strong math/stats skills and if you perform well it will help you a lot towards a PhD admission. Even if it doesn't help you get in to a PhD program, a Master's in biostats is a very useful degree that could allow you to get many good jobs in industry. Best of luck whatever you decide. 

Thank you for your suggestions. 

It is even more difficult to get funding for the Master programme, am I right? I won't be able to do it without funding. 

And if I get the Master of Biostats before I apply for a PhD, I still have to do the two-year coursework of the PhD programme, which means it would take me 6+ years (2-year Master + 4-year PhD). 

This is a difficult decision. But I think I should probably apply for both MS and PhD. 

From having read this board and talked to professors at several top 10 institutions, I think it's exceedingly likely that you will get shut out with your profile. As an international applicant, you're going to be competing for a small handful of funding lines against elite students with research experience, sterling grades, and a mathematical background well beyond the pre-requisites. Your best bet, if you're dead-set on attending a top 10 program, may be to pay your way at the masters' level in a top 10 program that gives preferential admission to its masters' students (Michigan is the most obvious one, but there may be others.)

I think I agree with hausinthehouse. A biostats MS/MPH/MSPH at a top 10 program would be a really good choice. Gives you a chance to develop strong math/stats skills and if you perform well it will help you a lot towards a PhD admission. Even if it doesn't help you get in to a PhD program, a Master's in biostats is a very useful degree that could allow you to get many good jobs in industry. Best of luck whatever you decide. 

If you can't do a MS program without funding, your most realistic option to open the top 10 PhD programs would be to take the prerequisites and real analysis and get As in all of them; even then, it's unlikely. Your best bet may be to apply to lower-ranked PhD programs, but unfortunately your profile doesn't put you in a position for more than an outside shot a funded offer at any program. Graduate school in biostatistics may not be a realistic goal for you.

Edited by hausinthehouse

The Master's degree might be a good investment even if you have to take loans. Tuition might not be too bad at public schools like Michigan, UNC, Minnesota, etc. Not really sure though. 

Michigan has one of the best Master's programs in biostats and they have quite a few funding opportunities, e.g. work as a graduate instructor or research assistant. Both of those apparently pay full tuition and a stipend in exchange for 20 hours per week. Again I'm not really familiar with Michigan's program but it might be worth a shot. Here's the page which has info on funding:

http://www.sph.umich.edu/biostat/programs/masters.html

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will have to think more carefully about this.

The Master's degree might be a good investment even if you have to take loans. Tuition might not be too bad at public schools like Michigan, UNC, Minnesota, etc. Not really sure though. 

Michigan has one of the best Master's programs in biostats and they have quite a few funding opportunities, e.g. work as a graduate instructor or research assistant. Both of those apparently pay full tuition and a stipend in exchange for 20 hours per week. Again I'm not really familiar with Michigan's program but it might be worth a shot. Here's the page which has info on funding:

http://www.sph.umich.edu/biostat/programs/masters.html

Michigan's funding seems to be pretty heavily focused on domestic students, but ditto on Minnesota - M/SP has a low cost of living and tuition is very low ($25k per year.) UNC and UMich are both very expensive out of state.