Master, Cornell or OSU

seaninbuaa

Hey guys, I just ran into this situation these days. I got admissions of Cornell Master of Engineering in Systems Engineering (track: Logistics Engineering) and Ohio State Master of Business Logistics Engineering, both are STEM program and have 29-month OPT. I don't know which program I should choose to enroll finally. I majored in Aerospace Engineering in undergraduate study and I plan to seek for job opportunities in consulting or logistics industry in the US after graduate study, and now I have no idea which program can promote my professional skills and background and better help me get a job, so I am seeking for you guys' suggestions.

Cornell Systems Engineering (MEng)

Program duration: 9 months (Commencement will be on May 24, 2016)

Curriculum: Fall semester: Model Based Systems Eng, Systems Eng For the Design and Operation of Reliable Systems, Operations                          Research: Optimization, Design Project, Design of Manufacturing Systems.

Spring semester: Systems Analysis and Optimization, Project Management, Design Project, Principles of Supply Chain                            Management.

Adv: Cornell, good reputation of engineering.

Aluminum.

Con: Location, Ithaca...(Hmm, a good place for academia)

Short program duration (not good to international students) and high pressure of study and job hunting. (But it can be extended)

Few supply chain management course. (Because I transfer to this major and did not study supply chain related courses before.)

The placement is unknown.

OSU Master of Business Logistics Engineering (MS)

Program Duration: 3 semesters (Commencement will be in Dec 2016)

Curriculum: Fall: Linear Optm, Transportation Magm, Strategic Logistics Magm, Organizational Behavior.

Spring: Modeling & Simulation, Warehouse Design, OR, Seminars, Log Decisions and Control, Log Tech & App.

Summer: Internship

Fall: Lean Sigma, Teamwork & Leadership, Log Analysis, SCM, Prob in Logistics.

Adv: Location, Columbus has many opportunities for logistics.

Good local reputation of this program.

Good placement data. (The interviewer said, it is terrific...)

Con: OSU has Less competitive reputation compared with Cornell.

Anyone knows about these two program or any suggestions on my choice? Please help. I really appreciate it!

seaninbuaa,

I realize the "wow factor" of Cornell but OSU has one of the largest alumni networks, especially in engineering. I've lived and worked all over the country, in a variety of industries and positions (all engineering related), and I constantly run into OSU alumni. Many of the alumni actively recruit from their alma mater as well. Conversely, I've only met one Cornell grad in my experience. If I were in your position, the choice for me would come down to whether I want to pursue a career in academia (Cornell) or be a practicing engineer (OSU), but that's just my opinion on the matter.

Good luck!

Edited by Niacrombie

Do you plan to work in China or the US afterwards? If you want to return to China, I would ask some professionals in your field (professors, people in industry, etc) their opinion on how well recognized each school is and the reputation of each school in China. If you want to work in the US, hopefully some Americans can comment on this here.

seaninbuaa,

I realize the "wow factor" of Cornell but OSU has one of the largest alumni networks, especially in engineering. I've lived and worked all over the country, in a variety of industries and positions (all engineering related), and I constantly run into OSU alumni. Many of the alumni actively recruit from their alma mater as well. Conversely, I've only met one Cornell grad in my experience. If I were in your position, the choice for me would come down to whether I want to pursue a career in academia (Cornell) or be a practicing engineer (OSU), but that's just my opinion on the matter.

Good luck!

Hi, Niacrombie,

Thank you for your reply and opinions. Is that true? I though Cornell alumni is everywhere...and I don't know that OSU has such a big alumni network. May I ask what field of engineering have you evolved in? The two programs both target at professional training, so I might have less chance to pursue a career in academia.

Do you plan to work in China or the US afterwards? If you want to return to China, I would ask some professionals in your field (professors, people in industry, etc) their opinion on how well recognized each school is and the reputation of each school in China. If you want to work in the US, hopefully some Americans can comment on this here.

Hi jenste,

Thank you for your reply. In China, Cornell has better reputation. I plan to work in the US for several years, but I don't know whether I will come back to China later on. So the first target is to find a related job in the US.

ex went to OSU, I agree with jenste. OSU is unlike any other school out there...goes with the whole ohio pride thing. If you're an OSU employer, you hire an OSU grad primarily...and there's a lot of them out there.

ex went to OSU, I agree with jenste. OSU is unlike any other school out there...goes with the whole ohio pride thing. If you're an OSU employer, you hire an OSU grad primarily...and there's a lot of them out there.

Hi Buffalofan4255, thank you for your advice. But what about Cornell? Will the reputation of Cornell bring you more opportunities when finding a job in consulting? And I've heard that the alumni network of Cornell is powerful too...

If you want to consulting, then that's a whole different world than just straight engineering. In that case, Cornell. Cornell has an alumni network for sure, but it's not as wide, varied, and loyal as OSU, hands down. In China though, Cornell has a bigger name because the Chinese care a lot about US school reputation. Unless you're shooting for the big consulting firms (BCG, KPMG, McKinsey, etc.), the difference will be there, but it'll be small (I'd say $5,000 max salary difference).