Form DS-160: "Person paying for your trip"? Is it my department or my parents?

DS-160 asks who is paying for your trip. I was thinking they mean 'who's going to cover flight charges' etc. so I thought I'd mention 'other person' and list the details of my parents. However, I saw a guidelines online that says, 'it should be the name of the person that has agreed to support you financially while you are in the US'. Well, in my case -- PhD student with a TA offer -- that would be my department.

So now I'm confused whether I should enter 'company/organization' and then list my school's department details, or I should list 'other person' and enter my parents details. Please let me know what would be appropriate considering that I'm fully-funded by my department with a TA offer (so I guess they are the ones who has agreed to support me financially?)

Yes, that's what I thought as well, my department is "paying for the trip" since they are financially supporting me during my stay. However, in that case, should I put 'self' because the department is going to 'pay me' for my TA work and this is the money that I'll use to support 'myself'. Or, should I just choose "company/organization" and put my school's name there?

I'm hoping to hear from international PhD students like TakeruK who would hopefully remember what they put in their DS-160.

Edited by thegraydude

Well, put it this way, even if your department pays you X amount of money, if you had some catastrophic event that landed you in the hospital where you racked up a $10k bill, who would pay for that? 

The question is really, at the end of the day, if you were in the hole financially, who would make sure you could pay your U.S. bills off and fly back to your home country? 

If you're wealthy, it's yourself.

If your parents or other family (a rich uncle?), then put that.

If the school is actually taking you on as a liability to enter the US (which, with an I-20 in hand, is arguably the case), then you'd put the school.

In any case, you aren't going to be denied your visa if what you put there is true, but not quite correct. I would put "self" if I were in your shoes, for the reasoning you explained above, and then when the visa officer asks (or if) about money, just explain. Worst case is you get a grumpy VO who wants absolute precision and they make you re-fill out the DS-160. 

As long as it's not a lie, you're fine - don't worry!

source: I'm a former VO.

Edited by jujubea

Well, put it this way, even if your department pays you X amount of money, if you had some catastrophic event that landed you in the hospital where you racked up a $10k bill, who would pay for that? 

The question is really, at the end of the day, if you were in the hole financially, who would make sure you could pay your U.S. bills off and fly back to your home country? 

If the school is actually taking you on as a liability to enter the US (which, with an I-20 in hand, is arguably the case), then you'd put the school.

Thanks jujubea. I never thought about it from an 'emergency' perspective. Well, in that case, my parents would support me (since I do not have sufficient funds personally). So according to that, I should put 'parents' there. However, this emergency scenario aside, the evidence in I-20 shows that my department is supporting me, so I was thinking I'll go with that.

@jujubea: On a separate note, you answered one of my questions about TAL concerns (information security major). There, in one of your posts, you say 'check your PM', however I never received a PM from you. I was wondering if you could send that again. Also, since you have been a former VO, could I PM you a couple of questions I have regarding the 221-G?  Please let me know.

Thanks jujubea. I never thought about it from an 'emergency' perspective. Well, in that case, my parents would support me (since I do not have sufficient funds personally). So according to that, I should put 'parents' there. However, this emergency scenario aside, the evidence in I-20 shows that my department is supporting me, so I was thinking I'll go with that.

@jujubea: On a separate note, you answered one of my questions about TAL concerns (information security major). There, in one of your posts, you say 'check your PM', however I never received a PM from you. I was wondering if you could send that again. Also, since you have been a former VO, could I PM you a couple of questions I have regarding the 221-G?  Please let me know.

Yes, feel free to ask. 

I'll also resend sometime this week!

In any case, you aren't going to be denied your visa if what you put there is true, but not quite correct. I would put "self" if I were in your shoes, for the reasoning you explained above, and then when the visa officer asks (or if) about money, just explain. Worst case is you get a grumpy VO who wants absolute precision and they make you re-fill out the DS-160. 

Hi Jujubea(Catchy username btw)

My country (Nigeria) seems to have a poor visa issuance rate

Anyway, I got full funding from my department.

I20 states funds required is $38000 and funds from assistantship is $42000

The  problem is that i have very little personal money (About $5000) and i'll be totally dependent on the assistantship to prove i have funds for grad school

I'm so confused and scared about my visa interview. Student visas get denied for no reason whatsoever especially when there's no family sponsor.

So i'm kinda nervous about my chances.....

Any tips for me considering my peculiar situation??

Thanks!!!

@bbdd2: While you wait for her reply, here's my two cents: Nigeria seems to have a low Visa issuance rate since there are problems of document fraud there. I have heard that it's easy to bribe local entities and get the required documents forged there. The Visa Officers have to reject such people. So, IMHO, if you're documents are in order, you do not need to be particularly nervous about your interview because of your country. Goodluck!

On a separate note: Please refrain from thread hijacking.

@bbdd2: While you wait for her reply, here's my two cents: Nigeria seems to have a low Visa issuance rate since there are problems of document fraud there. I have heard that it's easy to bribe local entities and get the required documents forged there. The Visa Officers have to reject such people. So, IMHO, if you're documents are in order, you do not need to be particularly nervous about your interview because of your country. Goodluck!

On a separate note: Please refrain from thread hijacking.

I find your comments about my country very distasteful and racist

Quite frankly you have never been here and you've only heard yet you're making such scathing comments about a place you've never been to throwing all objectivity into thin air. Way to go

You're going to need a major mind overhaul so you don't run into trouble with uncouth and unguarded statements when you com over to a multi ethnic society like the US

On a separate note, i didn't hijack your thread. The forum allows for questions regarding similar issues.

DEAL WITH IT

I find your comments about my country very distasteful and racist

Quite frankly you have never been here and you've only heard yet you're making such scathing comments about a place you've never been to throwing all objectivity into thin air. Way to go

You're going to need a major mind overhaul so you don't run into trouble with uncouth and unguarded statements when you com over to a multi ethnic society like the US

On a separate note, i didn't hijack your thread. The forum allows for questions regarding similar issues.

DEAL WITH IT

For your reference: Wikileaks "FRAUD SUMMARY - LAGOS" document: 

https://cablegatesearch.wikileaks.org/cable.php?id=09LAGOS476

"(U) Nigeria has all of the high risk factors for passport and visa fraud, including lax identity document control; poor or nonexistent records for feeder documents such as birth certificates; powerful pull factors such as poverty and a large expatriate diaspora that encourage emigration; and endemic fraud and corruption at all levels of society. The lack of controls and a high incidence of bribery that permeates every level of society create an environment where anything and everything is available and for sale. With enormous hunger for visas as an escape route, documents that cannot be trusted, and internal security conditions that make post anti-fraud investigative travel expensive and difficult, Lagos is a high-fraud Post."

I do not mean to be disrespectful towards your country. I'm sorry you feel that way. But at the same time you must remember that I did not do it to incite or offend you. If the Visas are being denied on a large scale (per your statement), there has to be a logical reason for it.

I do not agree with your statement that I was being racist. It's like me trying to explain '419 Nigerian email scams' in the class, and someone stands and says, 'you are being distasteful and racist'.

As for needing "mind overhaul", I think you are the one who needs to tone down on your 'sensitivity' a little since any sane person would agree that I didn't write it for the purpose of demeaning your country.

Good day to you sir. I hope you get your Visa.

Edited by thegraydude

For your reference: Wikileaks "FRAUD SUMMARY - LAGOS" document:

https://cablegatesearch.wikileaks.org/cable.php?id=09LAGOS476

I do not mean to be disrespectful towards your country. I'm sorry you feel that way. But at the same time you must remember that I did not do it to incite or offend you. If the Visas are being denied on a large scale (per your statement), there has to be a logical reason for it.

I do not agree with your statement that I was being racist. It's like me trying to explain '419 Nigerian email scams' in the class, and someone stands and says, 'you are being distasteful and racist'.

As for needing "mind overhaul", I think you are the one who needs to tone down on your 'sensitivity' a little since any sane person would agree that I didn't write it for the purpose of demeaning your country.

Good day to you sir. I hope you get your Visa.

Everything you researched here, I could easily find put about India including standardized test score fraud etc

Do I go throw caution to the wind calling India names? No.

About being sensitive, That won't cut it when you're in police custody for racist and bigoted comments. Watch what you say when you're in America. Honestly, It'll help you a great deal in grad school and everyday life. Saying people are sensitive might actually compound your problems and show your inherent lack of comprehension of what bigotry actually is

My two cents.

Edited by bbdd2

I just want to say two things from the point of view of a moderator regarding the exchange above between thegraydude and bbdd2:

1. There is a difference between saying that one's comments are racist/offensive and saying that a person is racist and offensive. I encourage everyone, when they hear from another person that their comments were racist and offensive, to first examine and reflect on what they said and try to understand the reason for the offense. Resist the urge to immediately defend yourself (because it is not you that is being targeted, it's your comment) and listen to the other person. Hopefully when this happens, we find an opportunity to learn and grow.

2. Regarding "thread hijacking": GradCafe doesn't have policies that require a thread to stay on a particular topic and the original poster of the thread does not get to decide what is and what isn't discussed. Except in special cases, moderators here will not take action in this regard. Instead, we prefer to let the users and participants in the thread lead the discussion and the topic will naturally evolve over time.

The  problem is that i have very little personal money (About $5000) and i'll be totally dependent on the assistantship to prove i have funds for grad school

I'm so confused and scared about my visa interview. Student visas get denied for no reason whatsoever especially when there's no family sponsor.

Thanks!!!

See PM :)

Thanks!!!

Hi bbdd2 I am also a Nigerian. I also got full funding for my PhD. My 1-20 is at hand and I am set to go ahead with my visa interview. I understand your worries but don't panic if you have secured funding from the school I believe the visa interview will go well. Check this thread on Nairaland for success stories. By the way which school are you attending?  

http://www.nairaland.com/240241/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries/9

http://www.nairaland.com/823866/general-u.s.a-student-visa-enquiries-part2/1