I'm applying to biomedical Ph.D programs this Fall and am going to start my SOP soon (after my GRE which is this monday, 14th). I feel like I have no idea where to start or how to write one though. Does anyone have any general advice on how to write one, or websites that could be helpful? For instance, do I...

-Detail all my lab experience/research projects?

-Make it exclusive to each school I'm applying to by mentioning specific labs/PI's?

-Write it as a narrative of why I want to pursue a research career?

-Relate a specific area I want to do research in? (Especially since at this point I'm not necessarily sure?)

Thanks!

http://www.uni.edu/~gotera/gradapp/stmtpurpose.htm

http://www.cs.umd.edu/Grad/sop.html

i just see it as a cover letter, your job is to be a grad student so sell yourself in a way......that shows off all your good assests reserach expreince ideas why you want to go to grad school at that particular school profs that overlap your interests etc

It's good you're getting started on it early. The best advice I can give you is to write early and revise, revise, revise. Write it, let it sit for a few days, revise, and repeat.

As for 'relating a specific area of research', even if you're not sure mention that you have an idea of what you'd like to do and why that program would be a good fit for you. Look outside the faculty for reasons to apply: for example, my primary research interests are in neural stem cell biology. A lot of the time, if there's a stem cell institute/center present, there's also further grants/training opportunities present: mentioning this shows that a) you've done your homework and B) presents you with potential additional funding.

As for the whole 'making it exclusive to each school I apply to', I'd say the best thing to do is to have one paragraph dedicated to why you'd be a good fit at that particular school. That's what I've done, and it works remarkably well: all I really have to change are the last three sentences to the faculty at the current school, why I'd like to work with them, and any miscellaneous notes I feel would help make my application stronger.

Starting early is a definite thing. I started about 2 months ago and I'm on my 5th revision. Then I may have to do another revision after sending it to my LoR for further review.

Maybe I'll just write the body first?

Worked for me. I took several drafts to just work on the body; then, I had a random brain wave and came up with an intro; after a few more drafts, I had a conclusion, with the exception of a last sentence, which I'm hoping materializes over the next few weeks.

I'd say start by writing whatever you can write and go from there.

Thanks for the advice and websites, I keep brainstorming a way to start it but keep coming up with nothing. Maybe I'll just write the body first?

Do whatever works for you. I started mine by coming up with a general outline and writing down ideas. Keep a pencil/pen and a notepad handy wherever you go because you never know what might pop into your head.

it works a bit different for me. I keep telling myself - what is the most important thing a person needs to know about me. than i have a genral idea. i don't write it down. i keep thinking to myself - "OK, this is what i want to say. how does it effect my everyday life". then i have it in my head, boiling. and once i feel it's ready - i write it down without thinking of style, editing and spelling.

I bought this book, Graduate school Essays, by Donald Asher, and I found it really helpful! If you're feeling stuck see if it's in the library or at the bookstore; it might provide a good framework to help you brainstorm, focus, and revise your SoP.

Good luck.