Is it worth applying?

Gram Neutral

Hello everyone,

I am a bit impatient here, so this is pretty early, but I'm looking for some feedback. I graduated in 2013 and applied to some PhD programs. I got 2 interviews but got denied at both schools. I spent the following summer working for a professor I interviewed with at one of the schools, and then I worked as a lab tech for the rest of the year. I applied to basically the same programs, and didn't get any interviews. I sat this year out, worked at an amazing internship in Europe working on some pretty cool drug research. Now I am back home and have a job in pharmaceutical research and development. I'm also taking  grad classes and enrolled in a master's program an okay school. I'm in my first 2 classes now, and will be in another one in the fall, maybe two. That would be 12 credits of graduate school, and so far it looks like I will have a 4.0 this semester. My undergrad gpa at a top 50 school was 3.1 but 3.4 in my last 2 years, my V was 158 and my Q was 160 with a 4.0 in writing, and I had 2 years of undergrad experience. Now for the questions. Is it even worth applying to the same schools I applied to twice before, or are those pretty much wasted money? Is it beneficial to finish my masters, or does it not really make a difference? Will those 12 graduate courses help a lot? I took the GRE in 2012, should I retake it? My list before was UIC, Iowa, MCW, UIUC, Loyola, Pitt, and Florida last year. 

Why don't you apply to some new schools? If you want to apply to the same ones, I would contact POIs there and explain about the last two years and ask for feedback. Tell them about your new/updated research and academic experience and politely ask them if they are interested in receiving your application or not. But I would definitely add some new ones to the mix. Also you may also want to re-take the GRE and raise your scores.

Good luck!

Edited by iphi

Your updated profile looks very strong. You can finish that MSc, if done with a high GPA, it can compensate any issue in your UGPA. You have industry experience that is relevant to academia(at least partially).

I don't know why you chose those schools , but I would rethink your target schools based on your(now very refined) research interests to maximize fit. Contact PI to see if they are taking students next year. Take some time to prepare and retake the GRE(it looks like you can improve a lot with just a bit of effort). Take your time with your SoP and try to show off your growth during this time.

( that's what I would do, anyways...)

Thanks for the replies. This year I was planning on applying to a few different schools. I just didn't want to reach too high with the profile I had. I reached out a month ago to an old contact at one of the schools I applied to and they haven't replied, which is what made me think these old schools would have no interest. The stuff I do now sounds pretty pharmaceutical-like but it's actually more geared towards microbiology, and that's what my master's specialization is for. I'll definitely email some Pis. Thanks for the feedback, I am strongly considering retaking the GRE, just have to weigh my options. In people's opinion, is it worth waiting 2 years to finish my master's? Then I'm already 27 and just starting my PhD. I kind of want to apply this upcoming application period. Also, how do I go about talking about getting rejected twice, etc and reapplying now. Isn't that a red flag to some schools?

Edited by trickster31

The GRE is painless for the most part, so I would go ahead and retake it. Did you happen to contact any of the places you were rejected from post interview? Also try to contact the PI where you did that summer of research. I bet he/she would be a good source of info and may provide a good LOR. 

I would re-take the GRE since your scores are good but not outstandingly strong and it's been a while since you have taken it. I would cast a wider net as far as the schools you apply to. Apply to the ones you really wanted to get into and then a couple of others that you like but are more of a "second choice". As for finishing the Masters, I wouldn't wait to finish. Then again I haven't done a MAsters so I don't know how that would look but I would presume it doesn't matter. 

This next round of applications, really focus on your essays and extra curricular. Practice hard for the interviews. With the other thigns you describe I don't see why you can't be a strong candidate.

The GRE is painless for the most part, so I would go ahead and retake it. Did you happen to contact any of the places you were rejected from post interview? Also try to contact the PI where you did that summer of research. I bet he/she would be a good source of info and may provide a good LOR.

I did contact some of them. The PI I worked for said some people thought I was not very enthusiastic during the interview/passionate but he said he learned through working with me that I am just a quiet person at first, so I know I have to work on that. He wrote me a letter of recommendation and even then, his school didn't accept me. He told me he has no idea what happened,but it seems like someone on the admission team still didn't like me.

You should finish your Master's and try to publish if possible. Even though you most likely would work on a different project during your PhD, the MS degree would give you a better understanding of what graduate research entails and that will show in your interviews (at least I think that's what happened in my case). I'm slightly younger than you (24) and so it's a bit different, but a PhD will take a few years and relatively speaking, you're young and have plenty of time to develop a strong research portfolio and career. Basically, finish the MS, and go for the PhD - age is really not that big of a deal anyhow. Also I think your experiences would bring a unique perspective that many programs are seeking. 

Hey I'm interested in microbiology, immunology and infectious diseases. I will apply next year. What do you think Loyola's IPBS? Did you get a chance for interview? Thanks!

Hi trickster, my advice would be if you have the funds to definitely apply next cycle before you finish your masters degree as long as you will be done with your masters degree before starting the PhD program if you are accepted. I met many people who were currently working on a masters during my interviews and it seems to be quite common. I would also definetly expand your list of schools to those with programs and faculty more aligned to your current research and maybe not re-apply to schools you have already interviewed at unless you were wait listed or have a connection. Also at the new schools you will have a fresh start application wise I believe, and they won't have prior opinions of you based on your previous application. Good luck!

Edited by abluefox

Hey I'm interested in microbiology, immunology and infectious diseases. I will apply next year. What do you think Loyola's IPBS? Did you get a chance for interview? Thanks!

I liked it. They are in the process of building a brand new research building there. The school is located at Loyola Hospital with the Medical School and not at the Chicago campus, which some people don't know. All the professors I met there were really nice and they actually do some pretty cool infectious research there. 

Since I'm trying to expand my horizons here and maybe apply to some other programs, does anyone know of some programs that might be within reach of me? Obviously I would only apply if I felt there was a fit etc, but just to get a general idea. I know i'm not like a tier 1 caliber application.

I would advise you to finish your MS (or apply in the 2nd year of it so that you will finish before starting PhD). My uGPA was similar to yours. I ended up doing a MS and working very hard during it. My MS GPA was 4.0, I made terrific connections and got great LORs, and gained SO MUCH research knowledge. I am such a better researcher now than before my MS... it isn't even comparable. I did do a lot of research during udergrad but you will learn SO much during your MS research. I just finished my PhD application cycle and got offers to 8 of the 10 schools I applied to including places like Hopkins, WashU, and Univ of Washington. I think you could very easily be a tier 1 applicant if you don't rush to get there. I would focus less on your age and more on how to become the best scientist you could be. If waiting another year is the difference between a top 10 school and a top 100 then isn't it worth it?

You will learn so much during your masters that will help in the PhD application process and throughout your PhD. I would not apply to the schools you interviewed at previously. Passion for your field is the #1 thing that PhD programs are looking for. I think the 1st impression you made at those programs will make it unlikely that you will be admitted in future application cycles. I absolutely think that you can shoot for that caliber of schools though, I would just chose different programs so that you can make a new first impression.

Thanks for all the insight! Did you work full time during your masters as well? That's what I am doing so I'm already getting a ton of research experience. The big drawback is that the process just takes a long time because I can only take 1-2 classes a semester.

Thanks for the info. I plan to apply Loyola's IPBS, and one of their masters program in infectious disease and immunology. Just in case I don't get in the PhD program. Their MS program seems very helpful to me in research practices and exposure in clinical side of my area. Anyway, good luck on everything!!

• 3 weeks later...

Not to bump my own post, but I think I'm going to apply this year. My teacher says I have nothing to lose. Does anyone know of some micro style programs or umbrella programs that I could have a chance of getting an interview at?

I don't know about how your chances to interview would be since it's sort of depends on how well you present yourself in your SoP (as well as the other aspects of your application package) but some good umbrella programs can be found at Baylor College of Medicine IMBS, UT Southwestern, and UPenn CAMB. Those are a few I can think of right off the bat.

Also go to PubMed, look up some articles and look at the schools affiliated with the PI's of the articles you like.

Hope this gives you a good starting point. 

• 5 weeks later...

My final question using this thread. I am currently taking non-degree seeking classes at my school, but have been offered full admission. I haven't accepted it yet. I can defer the decision, but I can only take 1 more class before I decide, then the credits no longer will count towards a degree. If I accepted this master's program and then applied to PhD programs, would I be considered a transfer? Is it harder to get in as a transfer?