A few questions from an aspiring speech therapist (Canada)

I've been reading some forums on here about Canadian grad school applications and I noticed that the average applicant had insane credentials and experience (not to mention the grades)! YEARS (rather than hours) of experience in the SLP field along with co-authoring research papers.

My question is, how does one even BEGIN to find work experience in SLP as an undergrad, let alone working for years? Is it usually through professors or contacting each and every single SLP institute in Canada and hope for the best? And how do you, without any SLP license, manage to attain years of experience?

Another more general question: just how difficult is it to get into grad schools like UofT and McGill? What can I do (apart from doing volunteer hours, etc) to make my application more likely to be accepted?

Edited by Thn120

I would try to maintain straight A's in the prerequisites (e.g. phonetics, anatomy, linguistics, developmental psych, neuroscience) and in your last 2 full-time years of school.

The advantage of maintaining B+ to A average is you are eligible to apply for summer research awards if your university offers them. I would also recommend taking a research course taught by a professor who has a lab in sophmore/junior year and then carry out a thesis in your senior year. These courses are GPA boosters too ;) I did full year independent study, presented 3 posters and co-authored a paper when I worked at an outpatient pediatric rehab. You can use them as academic references as well.

I only had about 174 contact hours in SLP (observation/volunteering). One girl who got in UofT only had 25 hours of observation so IMHO, I don't think clinical experiences help much.

I would try to see if you can take a course for credit with a professor (prefrrably a chair) of the school that you are planning to apply. You can do this in the summer as an elective. I would also try to apply for a summer research award and use the grant to conduct a study with your professor. My classmate got funding for summer student research with the chair at UfT who she used as one of her references and she got in. She still had amazing grades, but knowing someone who can vouch for you will help.

Edited by ImHis

Wow, all of that seems daunting, to say the least. So I REALLY have to up my game and do research awards and be on excellent terms with profs. Thank you so much for all the advice!

One more thing, though. How does one begin to get SLP observation experience? Will it be through my professors or through direct contact with the institute, asking for permission? How difficult will it be for me to get observation experience?

Wow, all of that seems daunting, to say the least. So I REALLY have to up my game and do research awards and be on excellent terms with profs. Thank you so much for all the advice!

One more thing, though. How does one begin to get SLP observation experience? Will it be through my professors or through direct contact with the institute, asking for permission? How difficult will it be for me to get observation experience?

Don't feel discouraged. It's important to take things one step at a time. Right now, your main priority is to keep up your grades to maintain your momentum. If you're a sophmore, start looking into which professor you may wish to do an independent study or a thesis. I would read up on their lab publications and if their studies align with a topic you wish to explore, send them an email asking if they're taking any students for an independent study or research praticums. If they don't respond, send a second along the lines off, "Hello, my name is...I'm not sure if you received my previous email." If there's no response, visit during their office hours. If they're far away, give them a call. If there's no callback, I wouldn't go any further and try others.

When I was searching for observation hours, I emailed the speech pathology departments of nearby hospitals. You can find their contact info from the websites. If there's no response from emails, call the phone number. Many places were very responsive and open to observations. I also called a list of SLP's from the Speech-Language and Audiology Canada website and the ASHA directory:

http://sac-oac.ca/public/find-professional

http://www.asha.org/proserv/

I would just put your city and province and not check off the boxes for specific age range. I earned more SLPs to contact. I would call directly and leave a message. I got better hits that way. Private practices have secretaries who screen out inquiries. I called 25-30 people everyday. I prepared a script and rehearse it a few times in case I needed to leave a message. I also called local organizations like the Canadian Hearing Society, Autism Ontario, Brain Injury Assocation which are likely to employ SLPs.

I would say that finding SLPs to observe was challenging because some patients and therapists don't feel comfortable being observed because they feel anxious, distracted, it's just natural. If you're not getting hits, don't take it personally. This is why I encourage you to be persistent and keep calling until you reach out to someone who is willing to mentor you.

For actual volunteering, you have some options:

1) Some hospitals have communication partner programs for people who have aphasia or feeding assistant for those with swallowing disorders. In these cases, the volunteer dept. of the hospital would be in-charge of screening so inquire if the offer volunteering opportunities in speech therapy. An SLP usually trains volunteers. If you're in Toronto, the Aphasia Institute and the Runnymead Health Centre offer volunteering positions all the time.

2) Now that summer is approaching, there are speech therapy camps that take place around the country. I am not sure where you are, but some places you can check out: In BC, there's a stuttering camp. Contact BCAPS for more information. In Ontario camps, the Ontario March of Dimes has an aphasia camp in Brantford. Autism Ontario also has a speech therapy camp in Hamilton. In Burlington, there's a hippotherapy speech camp where the SLPs use horses to stimulate communication for their clients. It's really neat. Type "speech therapy camp" or "speech pathology camp" with your province and see what comes up. The advantages with the camps is you can also use the volunteering hours for your observation hours. You will have more than enough to meet the 14 hour clinical requirement for UofT.

3) There are many outpatient rehab facilities funding by the government. Here in Ontario, the government funds regional organizations and the money is used to provide therapies (including SLP). An example is the Children's Treatment Network up in Newmarket, ON or the KidsAbility in Waterloo, ON. See if your province has them.

Edited by ImHis

I would try to maintain straight A's in the prerequisites (e.g. phonetics, anatomy, linguistics, developmental psych, neuroscience) and in your last 2 full-time years of school.

The advantage of maintaining B+ to A average is you are eligible to apply for summer research awards if your university offers them. I would also recommend taking a research course taught by a professor who has a lab in sophmore/junior year and then carry out a thesis in your senior year. These courses are GPA boosters too ;) I did full year independent study, presented 3 posters and co-authored a paper when I worked at an outpatient pediatric rehab. You can use them as academic references as well.

I only had about 174 contact hours in SLP (observation/volunteering). One girl who got in UofT only had 25 hours of observation so IMHO, I don't think clinical experiences help much.

I would try to see if you can take a course for credit with a professor (prefrrably a chair) of the school that you are planning to apply. You can do this in the summer as an elective. I would also try to apply for a summer research award and use the grant to conduct a study with your professor. My classmate got funding for summer student research with the chair at UfT who she used as one of her references and she got in. She still had amazing grades, but knowing someone who can vouch for you will help.

Does the money from student research awards go fully to the student or does it go for the study/lab?

Hey marshmallows,

For the NSERC (National Sciences & Engineering Research Council) summer research award, the Canadian government will send the money to a professor who holds an NSERC grant. They will use that amount (~$5000) to pay you as a RA and supervise your own study (or if you choose to work on theirs). Personally, I'd design my own study so it looks better in your LOR ;) Some profs contribute as well. I know some McGill professors contribute ~$1200 additional to the $5K.

Edited by ImHis

Hey marshmallows,

For the NSERC (National Sciences & Engineering Research Council) summer research award, the Canadian government will send the money to a professor who holds an NSERC grant. They will use that amount (~$5000) to pay you as a RA and supervise your own study (or if you choose to work on theirs). Personally, I'd design my own study so it looks better in your LOR ;) Some profs contribute as well. I know some McGill professors contribute ~$1200 additional to the $5K.

Hmm I'm not sure if they allow you take the independent study course and get the award. But thanks for the info!

Hmm I'm not sure if they allow you take the independent study course and get the award. But thanks for the info!

I've never heard of that combination happening before at the undergraduate level.