Jump to content

I know this has been asked before but....


Recommended Posts

how bad is it to cancel on a school you have already accepted and paid a deposit? 

 

I was accepted and paid a deposit at my first choice school during the first round of admissions. I was recently accepted at my second choice school with an assistantship for full tuition (but not fees/housing). How bad would it be to now decline the first school? I really like the first school except for the location. The other school was my second choice only b/c of the location.  Both schools are ranked about the same, so there isn't much difference there. What to do and how to do it....any suggestions? 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would send a very professional and nicely worded email thanking them for the opportunity but then explain your reasons for declining. You never know who you might meet or rub shoulders with later on from your original first choice school. Tell them how difficult this decision is.

As far as feeling bad, I wouldn't. I don't think the schools feel bad when they admit students on the wait list a week before matriculation because of last-minute changes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recently had to withdraw an acceptance for similar reasons (money). I sent a very nice, professional email, saying thank you for the opportunity but I must withdraw, a brief explanation why, and I apologized for withdrawing so late, among a few other things. She had me call her and we had a nice chat, and when I apologized again for withdrawing so late (for fall start), she said, "Oh this isn't late at all. We have people withdraw in August sometimes."

 

Be as polite and professional as possible. An email should suffice, but you should do it as soon as possible if you're certain you'll go to the second school. It's really not that late to withdraw, since there's still three months or more until programs start!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had to do that. I was taken off the waitlist at my #1 choice on April 14 when I had already committed to another program. Schools prepare for that kind of thing, so as long as you are professional about it I'm sure they will understand. I sent my first program a nicely worded email explaining why I was declining my admission after accepting. They seemed more than prepared for that and simply asked me for an explanation of why I chose School #2 over them. So, I wouldn't worry too much since there are many other people who will gladly fill your vacated spot!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use