Ecocriticism

Hello! I am currently working on a list of graduate programs to apply to in the fall. I'm interested in environmental studies, ecofeminism, and animal studies in American literature, preferably Southern lit. Is anyone here currently studying those areas in graduate school or does anyone have any suggestions on good programs? I have found quite a few places with professors I would be interested in working with but wanted to get some additional information. Thank you!

I'll be starting at UC Davis in the fall. They've got a pretty good program in ecocrit--Mike Ziser does all kinds of ecocrit stuff and is writing about oil & petro-culture right now, Hsuan Hsu is working on race & geography & environmental risk, Tobias Meneley does animal studies, and Margaret Ronda does ecocrit and 20th/21st C poetics. It also seems like there are a good amount of grad students there who incorporate ecocrit into their work.

Oregon has a super strong ecocriticism program, too.

I know Utah has an M.A. program in Environmental Humanities, in case you're looking at masters programs.

Raber at Ole Miss is a pioneer in the field, and the department is very big on Southern lit.

ETA: Michigan State is huge on animal studies (they're the only program I've seen with a grad certificate in animal studies). If I'm remembering correctly, ecocriticism is also pretty big there.

Edited by InHacSpeVivo

Thank you! I didn't know about Utah or Nevada. I'm definitely already thinking about Mississippi, Nebraska, Michigan, Oregon, Texas at Austin, and UC Davis.

Also- as someone coming straight from undergrad, is there anything I can do to make my application stronger or stand out? I am very confident in my writing sample and have a few awards and conferences. What is it that signifies to faculty a student is capable of moving straight to a phd?

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the University of Montana - they have an Environmental Writing Institute as part of their Environmental Studies grad. program, seems to be pretty interdisciplinary, and you can take courses in other departments as well.

The University of Oregon in Eugene is a top school for ecocriticism and interdisciplinary humanities/ environmental studies work. In their English department, you can focus on 'Literature & The Environment' at the MA and Ph.D. level.

Ole Miss is also a good choice- particularly if you're interested in Southern lit! Ann Fisher Wirth at Ole Miss teaches in the English dept. but also directs the Environmental Studies minor, and teaches courses in environmental literature.

At Ole Miss is my undergrad, and eco-criticism is what I'm focusing on in grad school, too! Dr. Raber, Dr. Ellis, and Dr. Fisher-Wirth are professors I definitely recommend. I think if you're especially interested in Southern Lit, Ole Miss could be your best choice. I mean, funding isn't spectacular, but we're in humanities; it's not a field to go into if you expect to roll around in cash. 

• 9 months later...

I also have really strong interests in ecocriticism & environmental writing - although in my undergrad I focused more on West Coast/Californian lit, rather than anything Southern. I'm looking to attend UW Seattle in the Fall and from what I can see so far it's going to be a perfect fit :)