Magoosh vs EmpowerGRE

Arm457

Hi guys, I'm planning on finishing up my Magoosh software in the next couple of days. (I followed their advanced 90 day schedule) My scores are in the upper 150's and I want to get into the mid 160's or higher for each section.

I was wondering if any of you guys who have bought both programs could help describe how they are different or similar to each other?

Thanks!

Edited by Arm457

I'm combining Magoosh and Empower right now. The Empower focuses more on strategies for answering quant questions without solving each problem in the traditional way (good if you're running out of time or if you're rusty on math skills). The Empower verbal modules have given me some great insight into addressing the RC questions as well. In the two weeks wince I've added Empower, my quant practice score jumped 8 points and my verbal 3 points. I'm thrilled with it.

I prefer Magoosh for vocab, though. I love the Magoosh vocabulary flashcards phone app. It makes it easy to review throughout the day no matter where I am.

In short I would say that the programs complement each other well. You pay for Empower on a month-to-month basis, so you can always cancel if you don't think it's for you. 

The EmpowerGMAT course is where it's at. I've had the same experience as Med Latte with RC, and the Empower math tactics are absolutely awesome. You have to use triage. It's crazy what that tactic, and others like test it have done for my practice MST scores so far. I think the EmpowerGRE course should be mandatory for anyone who wants to get a good GRE score and who wants the help of a structured program.

I also have the Magoosh flashcard app on iOS. It's a must have not only because it's free, but I love it for when I'm on the go, or stuck waiting somewhere.

What have your score improvements been? I'm seriously so stuck at mid to high 150's and I have some days where I do consistently well and then some days where I just feel cloudy for no reason and have to put my book or computer down :(

The test is the most frustrating thing I've ever done because it's almost impossible to not attach my self-worth to it.

Well I took EmpowerGMAT first since I was thinking about going the MBA route before I decided to focus more on public service my scores went from 510 to 680 after about 7 weeks of studying, and I'm having a similar experience so far with EmpowerGRE. From the the first PowerPrep to my most recent Manhattan GRE test I've gone from a 152 to 160 on verbal. On math I've gone from 149 to 161, and there's still a lot more training left in the plan. That's why I wanted to chime in here when you asked. I have 2 experiences with Empower, and they're batting 100%. That, and the Magoosh vocab app is just working for me.

Keep your head up Arm. Crack the tactics, and you'll break through.