Taking Course with Adviser--Necessary?

I feel unnecessarily torn up about my course selections for my incoming semester. I totally want to do a course outside my department since it's being taught by a rockstar scholar in my field of interest but I also think it would look bad if I didn't take the course being taught by my (appointed) adviser. Thoughts?

Definitely go with the rockstar in your field. I had to do the same in my first semester, even though the class wasn't 100% on topic for me, and it jumpstarted my relationship with my rockstar/now advisor in a way I couldn't have done without taking her class. Also, my assigned advisor was totally on board with the idea, so you might not have as much difficulty as you're expecting.

Edited by dazedandbemused

Thanks! Embarrassingly, I've had three dreams in the past few weeks about taking a course with this rockstar prof so I'm definitely taking it as a sign.

I'm entering as an early modernist but this course is in theory, though, so I hope it doesn't seem like I sold myself as a different type of scholar than I really hope to be. I will be taking this course over another one offered in Shakespeare as well... but then again I'm not a Shakespearian and I'm not into drama either. I'm not sure who I should be making these rationalizations to.