Advice on mobile phone plans in the US

Moving to the States in the fall... and hoping to quickly get a mobile plan (with data of course!) upon arrival. Been googling and reading different websites, but oh... I am quite confused on how the telco companies offer plans in the US!

It seems that most carriers require you to buy phones + contract from them, or phones + pre-paid monthly packs. 

I have my own device (which works with a micro SIM) - and would preferably want to get a pre-paid monthly subscription with at least 2 GB data, and free minutes (100?). Want to avoid contracts, also I'm not a US citizen/PR - don't have a SSN.

My questions:

1. Any advice on which carrier to go with (see requirements above)?

2. How does it work, do I just go to a retail store like Walmart etc and buy a SIM card? (I am from Asia and that's how it works here...)

Advice much appreciated thanks!

Also... I read about campusSIMs - is anyone using it? https://www.campussims.com/

On 7/4/2015 at 4:25 AM, vhym06 said:

My questions:

1. Any advice on which carrier to go with (see requirements above)?

2. How does it work, do I just go to a retail store like Walmart etc and buy a SIM card? (I am from Asia and that's how it works here...)

1. What carrier is best depends on where you'll be. Coverage may vary. Your best bet is to ask a current student, but someone here is likely to know too if you want to share your future location. 

2. You can either go to a large store (Wallmart, Target, RadioShack, etc.) or to a retail store of whatever carrier you choose. You can browse online ahead of time to know what plan you want (some carriers have more than one pre-paid plan). 

I've never heard of the company in your link. I don't know why you'd need that as opposed to a normal contract with a local carrier. The plans aren't particularly cheap. 

If you want to avoid contracts, T-Mobile (what I use) is a good company (they are probably not the only no-contract company, but it's what I know). It's very easy to bring in your own unlocked phone and you just have to pay $10-$20 for the SIM card and then you can sign up for any of their monthly plans.

Note that you say you need 100 minutes of talk...for most major companies (i.e. not the SIM card companies), all the monthly plans come with unlimited (or 1000) minutes. So the only thing that sets your price is the amount of data you want. 

Currently I am on a plan that gives me 1GB of 4G LTE data, unlimited 3G data, and unlimited talk & text. This plan normally costs $50/month but we pay $40/month since my wife and I are on a family plan ($80/month total). Between using WiFi at home and at work, I rarely use more than 500MB of 4G LTE data. But if I do, it's not a big deal since I still have unlimited, but slower, data.

So, if this is the price range you're thinking of, then I would recommend something like that to you. I think you could go significantly cheaper if you are willing to leave one of the major carriers (which means coverage might not be as good) and also willing to have stricter limits. 

As for SSN, you don't need one. They usually want to ask you for one because opening a cell phone account is a credit inquiry (they want to make sure you pay your bills!) but you should be able to do it without one. T-Mobile has a policy where they will accept a I-20 or DS-2019 in lieu of a SSN. 

• 2 weeks later...

There are many companies that that have non-contract plans: h2o, simple mobile, boost mobile, metro pcs, ... I used to be with one of the major carriers where I had to commit to the 2 year contracts, insane fees, everything limited and if you go over the limit they happily charge you.

Well, no more. I switched to simple mobile two years ago and never looked back. All you need to get a plan is cash.

At $50 I have unlimited talk, text, and data (data is 4 gb at 4G LTE and after that it is 3G). This month I plan to switch to their $55 plan and get 10gb at 4G LTE because I plan to listen to lectures while on the bus or waiting for it.

Oh, with non-contract companies usually you have to buy you own phone. Fortunately that not so expensive anymore: at eBay I bought the factory unlocked galaxy note 3 for less than $270.

Oh, with non-contract companies usually you have to buy you own phone. Fortunately that not so expensive anymore: at eBay I bought the factory unlocked galaxy note 3 for less than $270.

Also, I did the math for some of the companies/plans I was considering and getting a "free" phone with a contract can sometimes be a bad deal! Usually, the contracts that provide a "free" phone cost about $15 to $20 more per month. Most companies also let you buy a phone from them and if you are on a non-contract plan, you are able to split the phone's cost into 24 monthly payments. For example, I bought a Nexus 5 from T-Mobile for $400 (a few years ago, now you can get an unlocked one from Amazon for $350). There was a down payment on the phone but I am paying off that phone in 24 monthly installments of something like $15 per month. If you are on a contract plan though, you will always pay $15 to $20 more per month, even after you would already pay off the value of the "free" phone. I find that paying the higher monthly fees for a "free" phone will result in long term costs overall. 

The exception of course, is if you want to upgrade your phone every 1-2 years. Then, sometimes the contract plan will save you money in the long run because you can always have the latest phone but not have to pay the full price all the time. This costs more than buying a phone and keeping it for 4-5 years, but what each person chooses to spend their money on is a personal decision!

Oh also, I don't know about other companies, but the "insurance" plans from T-Mobile are totally not worth it. They cost around $8/month and while it does cover a lot of things, you still have to pay a deductible. For the Nexus 5, this was $150 (for a $400 phone). I felt that it was better to "self-insure" and just put aside $10 each month so that I can just buy myself a new phone in a few years if/when my phone breaks. But I do have other (personal) insurance that covers things like theft.

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for your feedback! Have looked into Simple Mobile - looks pretty good.. but I have the concern that Karoku_valentine raised.. there's no international roaming with Simple Mobile.. =( I guess I forgot to list that as one of my requirements. 

Will also check out the other recommendations ie T-Mobile!

I used to have Simple Mobile (a cheaper option that seems to belong to T mobile) and had 40 USD for data/text/calls unlimited. The only drawback is that I lacked service when travelling abroad, which was sort of often.

At least that was the case a year ago. I have no idea if that is still a problem, but I found this:

https://www.simplemobile.com/wps/wcm/connect/SimpleMobile+EN/Support/FAQs/Features/International+Calls

SIMPLE Mobile plans do not support International Roaming (using your phone outside the USA) at this time.

You should check T-mobile, they do have plans working abroad.  http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html

And it is cheaper than AT&T.

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for your feedback! Have looked into Simple Mobile - looks pretty good.. but I have the concern that Karoku_valentine raised.. there's no international roaming with Simple Mobile.. =( I guess I forgot to list that as one of my requirements. 

Will also check out the other recommendations ie T-Mobile!

For international service, my T-Mobile plan mentioned above covers this. I get free unlimited international data roaming in a lot of countries (over 100). Sometimes it's only 2G or 3G speeds, but it's great that it's free! I also can make phone calls back to the United States from the international country for a good rate. This is great for international conferences--I can use apps like Facebook or WhatsApp to message other friends and call home to speak with my spouse etc. It's also great when I'm visiting family in Canada. 

For international service, my T-Mobile plan mentioned above covers this. I get free unlimited international data roaming in a lot of countries (over 100). Sometimes it's only 2G or 3G speeds, but it's great that it's free! I also can make phone calls back to the United States from the international country for a good rate. This is great for international conferences--I can use apps like Facebook or WhatsApp to message other friends and call home to speak with my spouse etc. It's also great when I'm visiting family in Canada. 

This sounds like what I'm looking for! I'll look into the coverage where I'm headed.

Do you guys think it's worth buying an unlocked phone before I head down to the US?

Do you guys think it's worth buying an unlocked phone before I head down to the US?

That depends on the prices where you are now and in the US. For me, it actually made sense to wait and buy a phone in the States because it was more expensive where I was before. 

MathCat--you're coming from Canada right? In general, I found that electronics like phones and computers are cheaper in the US than in Canada. Also, your signature says you are going to be in California--the sales tax here is only 9%, compared to up to 13% in Canada (depending on where you are). 

I'll use my Nexus 5 as an example:

I got my Nexus 5 directly from T-Mobile (sticker price was 400 USD at that time). The way they charge it is you pay $50 downpayment plus all of the tax on the phone (it came to about 90 USD) and then the remaining balance (350 USD) was split into 24 equal monthly payments -- no interests/fees. It's not a contract--I can cancel my T-Mobile plan anytime (but if I do, then the remaining balance owed on my phone is due immediately). 

The Amazon.ca price for the Nexus 5 is 500 CAD right now. The Amazon.com price is 350 USD. Taking the current exchange rate into account, buying it in the US would cost 450 CAD. So that's already better! Plus, you will be paid in USD when you get here so you don't have to pay the exchange rate. However, it might be tough to come up with 350 USD along with all your other startup costs when moving down here. This is why I mentioned the payment plan option. Getting the phone from T-Mobile will cost 50 USD more but then you only have to pay 90 USD upfront and 400 USD is just over 500 CAD so it's about the same cost as buying it in Canada.

I'm not sure what laws govern unlocking of phones in Canada now (I think they are better than they were in 2012) but in the US, T-Mobile and other providers will unlock your phone for you, for free, after a month or so if you are on a monthly plan. So, you don't have to take it to a third party service (and pay) to get an unlocked phone.

** Oh also, the storefronts and websites generally only show the newer phone models. If you are looking for an older model, like the Nexus 5, you can ask them about it in the store and they will order it for you. Sometimes getting a slightly older model could save you money (especially since the Nexus 6 is at a much higher price point than the Nexus 5 was). 

I would recommend Airvoice Wireless. They are a no-contract provider on AT&T's network, so you have the option to use whatever phone you desire. I'm using an iPhone 4 at the moment. I have the $30/month plan which includes unlimited talk, text and 1GB data. They don't charge taxes either, so whatever price the plan is is what you would pay.

Stay away from Virgin mobile, or anything that uses Sprint's network.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an old iPhone 4 and I want to buy a new iPhone (whatever is the latest one out when I get there in late August) with a talk/SMS/data contract. Do they require some kind of credit history in the US? I assume I will need to open a US bank account before I can get the phone/contract? 

Therefore it seems like I will be phone-less for a few days until my bank account is open and I can get a phone + contract. Is that what any of you folks faced?

Note: I am not an Apple fanboy / have no emotional connect to the iPhone - I just figure it would be easiest to stay on it since I'm used to the device/interface. 

I have an old iPhone 4 and I want to buy a new iPhone (whatever is the latest one out when I get there in late August) with a talk/SMS/data contract. Do they require some kind of credit history in the US? I assume I will need to open a US bank account before I can get the phone/contract? 

Therefore it seems like I will be phone-less for a few days until my bank account is open and I can get a phone + contract. Is that what any of you folks faced?

Note: I am not an Apple fanboy / have no emotional connect to the iPhone - I just figure it would be easiest to stay on it since I'm used to the device/interface. 

They will do a soft credit check (that is, they will check your credit history but it won't count as a credit request that hurts your rating) when you sign up for a payment plan with them because in these plans, you pay for some services after they provide them. No credit at all (because you are new to the US) is better than bad credit. At T-Mobile, they wanted a SSN but for international people, they are okay with your I-20 or DS-2019.

However, if they don't like the fact that you have no credit (AT&T, my internet company, didn't like this), there are still other options. One of them is to sign up for prepaid plans. Another one is that some places (like AT&T for internet, in my experience) will charge you a deposit of a few hundred dollars. You pay them the deposit up front and it is applied as credit towards for your first few bills (but some places will hold onto the deposit until you close your account with them). 

Finally, I did have my bank account open prior to getting my phone so I don't know what would have happened if I didn't have one ahead of time. Bank accounts are easy to open though and I believe I had access to it the same day. But you can also get a prepaid SIM with enough minutes and data for the first week or so if you need to get all this sorted out before you sign onto a contract. It might even be a good idea anyways, so that you can get phone connection set up right away while you worry about other things first.

But you can also get a prepaid SIM with enough minutes and data for the first week or so if you need to get all this sorted out before you sign onto a contract. It might even be a good idea anyways, so that you can get phone connection set up right away while you worry about other things first.

Good Idea! I think I'll do this, since the first few days I'd rather focus on housing/bank/etc. and worry about choosing the right provider/plan later on.

Where can I buy a prepaid SIM ? Should I look for a provider shop or whatelse?

Good Idea! I think I'll do this, since the first few days I'd rather focus on housing/bank/etc. and worry about choosing the right provider/plan later on.

Where can I buy a prepaid SIM ? Should I look for a provider shop or whatelse?

I would find a company to buy it from online and then their websites usually tell you how to get it. Some sell them online, but many big companies also sell them in convenience stores, gas stations etc. 

You can also get some of them from machines or shops or kiosks at the airport. It will probably cost more though but it might save you time.