Sociology GRE scores?

n0ro

Hey guys,

So, I recently took the GRE with the intention of applying to sociology Ph.D. programs. My verbal score was okay, 161 (87th percentile), but my quant score was rather low, 150 (40th percentile). Combined, that is a 311. On the old scale, that is a V: 620 and Q: 630, or combined 1250. 

I am quite worried about my quant score. I am a master's student with a 4.0 graduate GPA, and a 3.7 undergraduate GPA (4.0 major). Moreover, I have received straight A's in both of my graduate statistics classes, as well as my research methods classes. I am fluent in SPSS, and I have the ability to conduct statistical research. Thus, I don't feel like my quant score is an adequate representation of my abilities. 

Funny thing is, my quant score dropped by 1 point (from 151) from the last time I took the GRE. Bizarre. 

I am most interested in conducting comparative-historical and ethnographic research, thus, qualitative. So will my quant score be less important?

I will also have 3 very strong LORs. In addition, I have a book chapter under review, and will be working with two of my professors on a review article for a sociology journal. 

The schools I am applying to include:

1. NYU (top choice)

2. Johns Hopkins (also top choice)

3. CUNY

4. University of Maryland, College Park

5. University of Massachusetts, Amherst

6. The New School

7. University of Texas, Austin

8. George Mason University (safety pick)

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Hey, I am beginning to look into sociology PhD programs (currently entering my third year of law school). Where should I go to find the list of the best programs or to obtain more info on various programs? 

Hey, I am beginning to look into sociology PhD programs (currently entering my third year of law school). Where should I go to find the list of the best programs or to obtain more info on various programs? 

Most of the info you are going to want and need will be found on department websites. You should have a concentration or specific areas of research that fascinate you. Compare your own interests to department specializations.

To get a list of schools offering SOCY grad programs and where they "rank," you can check out U.S. News rankings here: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-humanities-schools/sociology-rankings

This site will give you a list of the most well-known schools and their ranking through the top 94 programs, as well as unranked programs.

Hi n0ro,

Since you've listed some specific programs, you should be able to research them to get a better sense of how competitive your GRE score is. It might also be that the OVERALL strength of your application will be enough to 'overcome' the lower Quant score. PhD programs tend to be highly competitive though, so a retest might in order.

Since your two Quant scores are essentially the same, this means that you still 'see' (and respond to) the Quant section of the GRE in the same ways as before. To score at a much higher level, you have to learn some new tactics and put in the necessary time to practice them. Thankfully, all of that is a fairly simple process since the GRE is a predictable, standardized Test.

When are your application deadlines?

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

• 1 year later...