Got a response from a professor: Let's Analyze!

JackieW

So I sent a very brief introductory email to a professor (Basically a hi, my area of study, and I mentioned a paper of hers I had read), and I got this response:

Jacqueline,

Thanks for your message and for your interest in Vanderbilt and in my work. I

"Not knowing the Department's admission priorities" suggests to me that she is not on the admission committee and that she can't really lobby for any particular student. That might explain why it sounds like she wanted to encourage your interest without entering into an ongoing conversation. I don't know that you need to follow up, but a "thank you" never goes astray.

PS You only edited out the university's name at the second instance!

I agree with ridgey on this one...the prof sounds like she doesn't make major decisions in the admissions process. But the good news, is that if you have a strong application, it will resonate with anyone. I don't think you need to contact the head unless your research interests or similar. Just send a thanks for the reply reply. good luck with it all!