Assessment Tool Permissions Etiquette

PsyDGirl

Hello,

Just looking for some assistance from the pros out there as I'm in uncharted waters right now. I'm presenting my dissertation proposal in 2 weeks and after that I'm going to need to contact some creators of an assessment tool and ask for their permission to use it in my study. My questions are: what is the etiquette for this process? They are overseas so should I attach a letter in email? How much information do they want? Do they want proof of my IRB approval?

I'd welcome any thoughts or any previous experiences you've had!

Hello,

Just looking for some assistance from the pros out there as I'm in uncharted waters right now. I'm presenting my dissertation proposal in 2 weeks and after that I'm going to need to contact some creators of an assessment tool and ask for their permission to use it in my study. My questions are: what is the etiquette for this process? They are overseas so should I attach a letter in email? How much information do they want? Do they want proof of my IRB approval?

I'd welcome any thoughts or any previous experiences you've had!

Can you call and ask? I often have to call the hotline for test companies and their representatives are generally pretty knowledgeable/helpful.

• 3 weeks later...

I've simply emailed folks (whoever the article lists as contact or 1st author) and haven't had to provide much information at all. Between my honors thesis and my UG research lab, I've done this about 4-5 times.

Just use your edu address and the tell them about your topic.

Maybe it's different for the dissertation though?