Fall 2016 - Phd Thread

Congrats to everyone who has/will made their decision. I'm flying to Texas today (6:20 am to be exact) for a grad preview weekend. I'm beyond nervous, but am confident that they wouldn't put much money into a prospective student unless they pretty much had their mind made up. I'll let everyone know the outcome. Congrats to everyone again, and please wish me luck!

18 minutes ago, Partinrn said:

Congrats to everyone who has/will made their decision. I'm flying to Texas today (6:20 am to be exact) for a grad preview weekend. I'm beyond nervous, but am confident that they wouldn't put much money into a prospective student unless they pretty much had their mind made up. I'll let everyone know the outcome. Congrats to everyone again, and please wish me luck!

Partinrn, you are going to be great! Try to not stress, you know what you are interested in and you know this program. You'll be ok. Sending lots of good vibes your way. I'm confident you are going to shine! 

(Also, sending vibes for the flight since I know you haven't flown in a while, enjoy the trip!) 

Now that all my family and mentors have been told, I figure I may as well tell all you wonderful peers!! :) 

I officially accepted UCFs offer of a fellowship (too good to be true but it is!!) and will be attending in the fall. 

I have already notified some of the other programs I was accepted into that I am declining, in particular funded ones (FSU, UF, GMU) I will be notifying the others within the next week or so, as well as the final application I have out (as soon as I hear from them). Hopefully this frees up some slots/money for someone else! 

I want to thank all of you for the knowledge, guidance and support. I came to this forum very unconfident in my applications, and did much better than I dreamed, but all you knowledgable, insightful people have made me consider things I had never even thought about. I am so thankful for the comradory amongst us, as too often in this competitive world we are rivals when really support is better. 

I am very excited about the future and really hope to someday work with or meet you all in real life! 

(PS I'm not actually leaving here, I want to see where everyone ends up! Just letting y'all know my decision has been finalized and how much I appreciate all y'all!) 

*End of Sap* 

On 2/12/2016 at 10:39 AM, zephiwho said:

Update:

Wait listed at Delaware

Accepted to UMSL

Waiting on Maryland and ODU

Accepted: Maryland,  ODU, UIC, UMSL, Cincinnati, Penn state, 

Preadmission : Northeastern 

Wait list : Delaware

Congratulations to everyone. Seems like everyone has been hearing great news. Phenomenal!  

1 minute ago, zephiwho said:

Accepted: Maryland,  ODU, UIC, UMSL, Cincinnati, Penn state, 

Preadmission : Northeastern 

Wait list : Delaware

Congratulations to everyone. Seems like everyone has been hearing great news. Phenomenal!  

Congrats!!! Great choices! 

1 hour ago, liesandfish said:

Now that all my family and mentors have been told, I figure I may as well tell all you wonderful peers!! :) 

I officially accepted UCFs offer of a fellowship (too good to be true but it is!!) and will be attending in the fall. 

I have already notified some of the other programs I was accepted into that I am declining, in particular funded ones (FSU, UF, GMU) I will be notifying the others within the next week or so, as well as the final application I have out (as soon as I hear from them). Hopefully this frees up some slots/money for someone else! 

I want to thank all of you for the knowledge, guidance and support. I came to this forum very unconfident in my applications, and did much better than I dreamed, but all you knowledgable, insightful people have made me consider things I had never even thought about. I am so thankful for the comradory amongst us, as too often in this competitive world we are rivals when really support is better. 

I am very excited about the future and really hope to someday work with or meet you all in real life! 

(PS I'm not actually leaving here, I want to see where everyone ends up! Just letting y'all know my decision has been finalized and how much I appreciate all y'all!) 

*End of Sap* 

Congrats!!! Good Luck- I am sure I will see you out and about in the "field" :-)

Congrats @liesandfish on making a decision and @zephiwho, congrats, it's so nice to have all those options! This forum is filled with all the smart ones and I'm so happy I stumbled across it! I don't know if I would've maintained sanity throughout the process without everyone and all of the awesome advice! 

@Partinrn congrats on the trip to TX.  I am pretty confident in saying that a school would not invest that much money on having you come in if they weren't 99% sure that you are exactly what they are looking for.  All they need is the other 1%.  You go out there and nail it!!!!  :D

Sending you positive vibes from NY!!

Has anyone else received an offer of admission from American University? The program is only offering $500 for both flights AND accommodation costs which is really tight if you're coming from the West Coast like myself.

1 hour ago, soci_to_crim said:

Has anyone else received an offer of admission from American University? The program is only offering $500 for both flights AND accommodation costs which is really tight if you're coming from the West Coast like myself.

Nope, guess that means it's a "no" for me

2 hours ago, soci_to_crim said:

No, I haven't heard from them so that must be a no for me too. Which if I'm being honest doesn't matter that much as I planned to reject them if they made an offer.

@liesandfish the crim program is wrapped in their "justice, law, and criminology" program. It encompasses a bunch of different topics....but @ThesisTerror724 is right that the benefit of AU is the Public Policy component. (and being in DC). I am in the Master's program now and there is a lot of diversity in subject matter interests for students. (Cults, mass murder, child soldiers, victimization, etc)

Looks like American sent out their offers yesterday....... anyone receive one and is planning to decline? Still waiting on a rejection letter, but it looks like maybe the school is waiting to hear back from their offered applicants....

Aw man, I definitely didn't hear anything, oh well! I hear back from Indiana today and found out I will receive full funding with decent stipend in the form of tuition remissions, a teaching assistantship, healthcare, and a fellowship during the summer (monthly payments during the summer would be a few hundred dollars less).. The director said that they would be sending me a letter with the specifics but I was wondering if anyone knew how fellowships during the summer generally work, would I be able to have a job during the summer? 

Good to know I will definitely be working towards my phd next year but I am still hoping to get off of delawares wait list!