2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

19 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

This is not technically true. I tried to visit the schools I applied to back in September, as I knew that when I started my masters I wouldn't be able to make it to the US. I've been invited to interview and it's on the same day as one of my exams so I don't see myself flying 15 hours for an interview then when Skype exists. Also, the school was offering to reimburse $1000 for flights - which is great, but considering the cheapest flight I can find for then is $3500 I don't have that kind of money to spare. 

So sure, if your schools are cheap to get to and interviews are relatively straight-forward to attend you should. Equally, don't feel bad for not attending them. One of the schools I cannot attend an interview at is setting up a skype tour of the department, and is getting a current grad student to walk around with a go pro to show me around. There are ways for getting around things!

On a happier note, congratulations to everyone getting interviews, and for those who havent heard anything yet - keep breathing and try not to get too obsessive over the email checking :) 

I understand international applicants work a lot differently but for a lot of domestic applicants, interview weekends are the only opportunity to see the school and town before having to commit. For domestic, it's kinda the reverse. Fly for free for interview weekend or do a skype interview and spend a couple hundred bucks on a flight later to see if you even like the area

4 minutes ago, gyrase said:

AHHHH Uchicago Cancer Bio!!! I was literally hyperventilating when I saw you guys all got them in such quick succession!!! Maybe we'll see each other there? :)

I'm going on the second weekend for Cancer Bio! (Just have to look for faculty to confirm, but I'll do that tonight) 

3rd interview invite over the phone.

And the curse of phone calls. I verbally committed while being barraged by a whirlwind of information to attend one interview, and then an hour later another program called me and their interview weekends conflict!

Now to do the delicate dance of seeing if I can interview at another time. One program doesn't have an alternate weekend. I hope the other might (an umbrella program). 

1 minute ago, Infinito said:

3rd interview invite over the phone.

And the curse of phone calls. I verbally committed while being barraged by a whirlwind of information to attend one interview, and then an hour later another program called me and their interview weekends conflict!

Now to do the delicate dance of seeing if I can interview at another time. One program doesn't have an alternate weekend. I hope the other might (an umbrella program). 

Congrats and good luck!

Anyone have an idea as to when Harvard BBS would be having their interview dates? There are some dates on their page but it says 2015.. so I am assuming these are from last year? Also UCSF BBS? Trying to organize my interview schedule!

Also congrats to all those who got interviews today!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, Metbio2016 said:

Anyone have an idea as to when Harvard BBS would be having their interview dates? There are some dates on their page but it says 2015.. so I am assuming these are from last year? Also UCSF BBS? Trying to organize my interview schedule!

Also congrats to all those who got interviews today!!!!!!

The traditional Harvard date is December 19th (from the results survey) and UCSF is around the same time.  But I would expect that they could release them up until the 23rd.  Don't worry, you're not the only one sitting and waiting for those two! :blink:

1 minute ago, biochemgirl67 said:

The traditional Harvard date is December 19th (from the results survey) and UCSF is around the same time.  But I would expect that they could release them up until the 23rd.  Don't worry, you're not the only one sitting and waiting for those two! :blink:

I think he/she meant the dates for the actual interviews?

3 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

No worries! We are all crazy right now (the big decisions coming out this week arent helping!!)

2 minutes ago, biosci said:

No worries.  Our brains are all frazzled!

1 minute ago, Metbio2016 said:

No worries! We are all crazy right now (the big decisions coming out this week arent helping!!)

I'm just sitting here waiting for my flight to home tomorrow hoping MAAAYBE Princeton MolBio/UW Immunology/the other two miraculously email me.  Although if you're looking for a good distraction, the Grand Hotel on Netflix is the best Spanish drama ever.  Again, sorry my reading comprehension is that of a sheep right now.  :P

Props to you guys doing finals and term papers right now with this giant glass case of emotion were in. I'm a "going back to school" applicant from industry, and that must suck. I'm sorry. When does everyone think stanford biosciences invites are going to rolling through?

3 minutes ago, AstronautSteve said:

Props to you guys doing finals and term papers right now with this giant glass case of emotion were in. I'm a "going back to school" applicant from industry, and that must suck. I'm sorry. When does everyone think stanford biosciences invites are going to rolling through?

According to the email I got when I submitted my app, starting the week of Jan 4.

3 minutes ago, AgingBio123 said:

So for all those who have heard back from Yale bbs molecular bio, how soon after the call did you get a confirmation email? I was called today at like 1 but haven't received an email yet...

Don't fret.  I got the call Sunday and still no email!  And congratulations!

Edited by biosci

1 minute ago, 4eyes said:

according to the survey, someone got a harvard PiN interview on dec 11!

yeah I hardly believe that.  In past years, all DMS programs (including PiN) were on Dec 19th... and they were the only one to post that.  Chalk it up to a troll, I think.

I already confirmed two of my interviews,  I really hope the Harvard BBS dates stay the same. :( 

(I also have to reject the Michigan PiBS interview,if invited, because I already occupied both of their weekends) x.x

Edited by Bioenchilada

18 minutes ago, biosci said:

Don't fret.  I got the call Sunday and still no email!  And congratulations!

@AgingBio123 Same here. Received the call yesterday, still no email. The person who called me clearly said though that the follow up email would be in a "few days"

Edited by Microburritology