2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

Thought I'd share this really great resource for preparing for interviews made by the NIH's Office of Intramural Training and Education. I'm 99.9% sure it is accessible outside the NIH campus and that the link below works, but if not, please let me know!

Video (1 hour 44 minutes): http://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?Live=9809&bhcp=1 

Slides (PDF should auto-download when you click the link): https://www.training.nih.gov/_assets/Slides-12_13_2010

Edited by AtomDance
missed a word

51 minutes ago, AtomDance said:

Thought I'd share this really great resource for preparing for interviews made by the NIH's Office of Intramural Training and Education. I'm 99.9% sure it is accessible outside the NIH campus and that the link below works, but if not, please let me know!

Video (1 hour 44 minutes): http://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?Live=9809&bhcp=1 

Slides (PDF should auto-download when you click the link): https://www.training.nih.gov/_assets/Slides-12_13_2010

Shhhhhhh. Don't tell people. Don't need more competition.

Lol, JK. This good stuff.

Thanks for spreading the love <3

Is it customary for students who hope to interview at several institutions to respond affirmatively right away to interview invites as they arrive and resolve conflicts as they might arise by re-scheduling with institutions whose requests come in later? 

2 minutes ago, mariposa2 said:

Is it customary for students who hope to interview at several institutions to respond affirmatively right away to interview invites as they arrive and resolve conflicts as they might arise by re-scheduling with institutions whose requests come in later? 

For my two interviews so far they required a response within the week so I didn't have much choice. I'd imagine they would want a quick response so they can give spots to other qualified applicants.

3 hours ago, daniolabtest said:

Saw some people on the survey got interviews from Wisconsin already. Did you get an email or did you find out through their MyUW platform?

I got an e-mail from the program director for iPIB

Just now, Infinito said:

Just got a phone call invite to another program in the Northeast :)

I'll continue being vague until after the Holidays / January. But know that they are going out in waves!

I can only hope! If I don't get a CAMB interview, I'm 0/2. Knew I had some long shots but eesh, someone give me an interview!

23 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Did you intend to apply to CAMB? D: 

No I actually want to apply for bio. But I applied CAMB somewhere else so I panicked for a second.

now I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the scenic and wifi-less train ride from Salt Lake City all the way to Cincinnati... Here's the views in Colorado 

http://m.imgur.com/OmCInhP

Edited by mwgskol
Typo!

I'm waiting as long as possible to confirm interview invites so I don't accept an invite to a school lower on my list only to find out it conflicts with my top choice. My mom (who's in business not science but still in change of hiring people) has told me repeatedly it's much better to keep someone waiting for a response than turn around and decommit from an interview. It could bar you from ever working there for the rest of your career (sounds dramatic but apparently it happens in the business world). Skype interviews are available if you really can't make it work but seeing as you will be living there for five years, that's far from ideal.  I've only confirmed one interview of the four I've been invited on and I'm waiting to confirm the rest until I hear from the schools sending invites this week. My guess is that after this week, no more invites will be sent until January because of the holidays.

Edited by Sarahjc

10 minutes ago, Sarahjc said:

Skype interviews are available if you really can't make it work but seeing as you will be living there for five years, that's far from ideal. 

This is not technically true. I tried to visit the schools I applied to back in September, as I knew that when I started my masters I wouldn't be able to make it to the US. I've been invited to interview and it's on the same day as one of my exams so I don't see myself flying 15 hours for an interview then when Skype exists. Also, the school was offering to reimburse $1000 for flights - which is great, but considering the cheapest flight I can find for then is $3500 I don't have that kind of money to spare. 

So sure, if your schools are cheap to get to and interviews are relatively straight-forward to attend you should. Equally, don't feel bad for not attending them. One of the schools I cannot attend an interview at is setting up a skype tour of the department, and is getting a current grad student to walk around with a go pro to show me around. There are ways for getting around things!

On a happier note, congratulations to everyone getting interviews, and for those who havent heard anything yet - keep breathing and try not to get too obsessive over the email checking :) 

6 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Just received an interview from UChicago's Biomedical Sciences Division 

YAAAAAAS GAGAAAA

Me too! U Chicago Cancer Bio!! Soooo relieved I got my first interview! Was afraid with my GPA I might not get any!