2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

12 minutes ago, adiJ said:

Congrats! You should read up on his pubs, and do a crash course on your own research, but for these you wouldn't need to prepare anything other than standard interview questions. There's no harm in overpreparing! 

Thanks for the info mate, definitely best to over-prepare as you say! Best get studying I guess :D

Would this be most likely a preliminary interview, or the first of multiple interviews, as I assume there would have to be one with multiple interview panel members etc? Bit vague on the details, and I'm not that familiar with how these things generally work in the USA.

20 minutes ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

Would you call or email?

And what should I say?  "Just checking in, wanted to make sure you still know I exist!"
I don't want to annoy them, but I also feel weird that I haven't heard anything at all in over 2 weeks now.  I know its probably not the case, but I am worried something happened and they forgot about me.

I would call.  Calling often results in admins looking you up and giving you an answer on the spot if they have made a decision or let you know when the committee will have decisions out; something which rarely happens on email since they are reluctant to give you anything on writing till official decisions come out.  Just say "I was wondering what the status of my application was". 

1 minute ago, pot8o said:

I would call.  Calling often results in admins looking you up and giving you an answer on the spot if they have made a decision or let you know when the committee will have decisions out; something which rarely happens on email since they are reluctant to give you anything on writing till official decisions come out.  Just say "I was wondering what the status of my application was". 

I already heard back from them (2 weeks ago) letting me know that I got an interview.  I just havent heard anything since then.  And they mentioned in their email that they wanted to arrange travel so to contact them back ASAP.  I am just worried my email was somehow missed or something.  I would have expected to hear about making travel arrangements by now..however they were out all last week and the office was closed so I do not want to annoy them.

8 minutes ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

I already heard back from them (2 weeks ago) letting me know that I got an interview.  I just havent heard anything since then.  And they mentioned in their email that they wanted to arrange travel so to contact them back ASAP.  I am just worried my email was somehow missed or something.  I would have expected to hear about making travel arrangements by now..however they were out all last week and the office was closed so I do not want to annoy them.

I see absolutely no harm in asking them for confirmation of receipt of your reply. This is a very big deal and they will understand that you don't want to slip through the cracks, so just be polite and don't sweat it.

Has anyone else applied to UCLA (Cell and Developmental Biology) and received multiple application status emails? I received one about a month ago listing all the components of my application with CV flagged because I guess I did not upload it it. I emailed it to them and they uploaded it right away. Got the same email a week or two later, this time will all components accounted for. Just now I got the same email again, the only difference is the subject which now says "FINAL UPDATE: Status of your UCLA Molecular Biology IDP Application". It just shows that all components have been submitted and says if I'm missing anything then to email it to them and if the "documents come by the middle-end of January, then you should be okay." 

I saw that they already sent out interview invites in December so I assumed a rejection was forthcoming (from the grad survey it doesn't look like they do waves). But receiving the same email for the third time confused me a bit...it's making me paranoid that I'm missing something and they are trying to let me know, but I've read the email a million times and everything is accounted for. Anyone else receive this??

3 minutes ago, GradApplicant2016 said:

Has anyone else applied to UCLA (Cell and Developmental Biology) and received multiple application status emails? I received one about a month ago listing all the components of my application with CV flagged because I guess I did not upload it it. I emailed it to them and they uploaded it right away. Got the same email a week or two later, this time will all components accounted for. Just now I got the same email again, the only difference is the subject which now says "FINAL UPDATE: Status of your UCLA Molecular Biology IDP Application". It just shows that all components have been submitted and says if I'm missing anything then to email it to them and if the "documents come by the middle-end of January, then you should be okay." 

I saw that they already sent out interview invites in December so I assumed a rejection was forthcoming (from the grad survey it doesn't look like they do waves). But receiving the same email for the third time confused me a bit...it's making me paranoid that I'm missing something and they are trying to let me know, but I've read the email a million times and everything is accounted for. Anyone else receive this??

Got that email as well. Although an insider already told me Im not getting an interview. 

1 minute ago, GradApplicant2016 said:

I have now had 3 identical emails with the "Status of your UCLA Molecular Biology IDP Application".  This one stated that it was the "FINAL UPDATE".  All 3 emails have been identical and all 3 have noted that I have turned in everything (letters of rec, transcripts, GREs ect.).  I am guessing this is not a problem.  I too am confused but I don't think there is any reason to be worried.  

I'll call my buddy who is also applying to UCLA to see if he got it too, but I wouldn't worry if I were you  (unless other people are not getting these same emails or someone else has some information I do not).  

Maybe it means they are starting another round of reviewing applications?  That would be nice right?

30 minutes ago, Immunolog said:

Anyone apply to Caltech Biology? Apparently they do not do interviews, but rather send out acceptances from Dec15 all the way to April 15. 

I applied to Caltech Biology and I was invited for an interview 

36 minutes ago, Immunolog said:

Also did anyone for Weill Cornell Immunology hear back about travel arrangements? The interview date in Jan 20. 

I just got an email (about 10 minutes ago) from the coordinator with contact information for their travel agency. I would expect you'll be getting the same one soon.

50 minutes ago, Immunolog said:

Anyone apply to Caltech Biology? Apparently they do not do interviews, but rather send out acceptances from Dec15 all the way to April 15. 

Really? That's interesting.... Where did you get this information? I was under the impression that they always interview candidates they selected.  I'm curious because I'm still waiting to hear from Caltech. I wouldn't mind waiting if I directly get accepted haha ;)

Edited by pot8o

14 minutes ago, mike35 said:

I applied to Caltech Biology and I was invited for an interview 

Congrats on the interview man! Out of curiosity did you get the invite before the winter break or in January?

35 minutes ago, pot8o said:

Congrats on the interview man! Out of curiosity did you get the invite before the winter break or in January?

Thanks! They e-mailed me on Dec. 22nd, but I don't know whether they invite in waves or all at once.  Hopefully you hear back from them soon

You guys should really use the Resluts Search function, it will show you that for Caltech Biology, Interviews went out Dec 22nd execpt for a few stragglers who we sent invites after people declined.

There used to be a tab at the top of the page, not sure how to get there directly, but if you google " Thegradcafe Results", you will get the page.  It shows you results from the last five years or so (for those who entered results that is).  You can see who is getting notified now or do a search by school and program and see what has happened in the past.

Edited by tuckbro

46 minutes ago, pot8o said:

Really? That's interesting.... Where did you get this information? I was under the impression that they always interview candidates they selected.  I'm curious because I'm still waiting to hear from Caltech. I wouldn't mind waiting if I directly get accepted haha ;)

I called. 

I thought they do interviews too, which is why I was a bit surprised

I thought I would be seeing more Berkeley MCB interview invitations on here and the results forum since this is the week they're inviting people... but I've only seen postings from people who received a call prior to this week :/ 

11 minutes ago, jordy_protein said:

I thought I would be seeing more Berkeley MCB interview invitations on here and the results forum since this is the week they're inviting people... but I've only seen postings from people who received a call prior to this week :/ 

Call'em.