2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

Is Berkeley MCB really done sending out invites? On the survey page someone said he/she is rejected because "emailed coordinator and was told all invites have been sent out." Is this true? :(

50 minutes ago, apple93 said:

Is Berkeley MCB really done sending out invites? On the survey page someone said he/she is rejected because "emailed coordinator and was told all invites have been sent out." Is this true? :(

I think it's my post. I called yesterday and was told all invites were out. Hard to believe, but in the results section there are a few invites already. There's always a chance until that rejection notice comes. I'm thinking of calling tomorrow just to make sure I just didn't catch the coordinator in a peeved mood. 

7 hours ago, Nero_Mustbethefeeling said:

I got rejected from UCSF as well. Looks like I wont be going back home :(

Still excited for these other interviews though.

7 hours ago, goliath said:

Also domestic studnet rejected from UCSF Tetrad today (jan 7)

Did you guys receive an email or called and asked? 

Well based on our information it seems like Stanford Cancer Bio is out tomorrow.

Mit Bio tomorrow as well - I think someone called/emailed and they said it would be out by end of week. Correct if I'm mistaken.

7 minutes ago, wintergreens said:

Where was is said that MIT bio would be out by the end of the week? I am curious; I might have missed.

If you look through the survey page and the previous profile/results threads the decisions usually come out during this time in January..

Also, on page 97:

On 1/5/2016 at 6:17 AM, ruckaround said:

Spoke with someone in the Biology Department at MIT yesterday afternoon, she said that interview invites should go out by the end of this week, and that the program will suggest one weekend of the three due to faculty availability, research interest, etc.

Also with regard to the timing of submission... I submitted all of my apps Nov. 30th, and one of my letters was received after the due date. It hasn't seemed to have negatively impacted me.

Joining the list of those hyperventilating about Stanford Cancer Bio. *screams*

By the way, those of you more connected with thegradcafe's past forums - I remember there being a link to a super helpful megapost about dos and don'ts at interviews a while back. Would someone mind linking that again? I'd really appreciate it! <3 

7 minutes ago, gyrase said:

Joining the list of those hyperventilating about Stanford Cancer Bio. *screams*

By the way, those of you more connected with thegradcafe's past forums - I remember there being a link to a super helpful megapost about dos and don'ts at interviews a while back. Would someone mind linking that again? I'd really appreciate it! <3 

This might not be the post you meant, but maybe it will help: 

Feel free to comment questions on the post or pose them to me, here. It might take me a day or so to get back to you as I'm in the middle of trying to finish a paper for publication. :)

Just now, ultravioletblack said:

Weird question: does anyone know about the rooming situation for their schools? Is it typical to have a single hotel room to yourself during interviews? 

Several of the schools I have interviews at have specifically told us we will share a room with another interviewee, and I am assuming that 2 per room is pretty standard, but just an assumption

6 minutes ago, biotechie said:

This might not be the post you meant, but maybe it will help: 

Feel free to comment questions on the post or pose them to me, here. It might take me a day or so to get back to you as I'm in the middle of trying to finish a paper for publication. :)

You are WONDERFUL, this is it!! I just trawled through like 20 pages of the forum to no avail because I couldn't remember where it was - but it was fun to look through all of the pre-December first posts also ;) Thanks so much, @biotechie !

5 minutes ago, gyrase said:

You are WONDERFUL, this is it!! I just trawled through like 20 pages of the forum to no avail because I couldn't remember where it was - but it was fun to look through all of the pre-December first posts also ;) Thanks so much, @biotechie !

You're welcome. For when it gets buried again, right now it is showing up at the top of the blogs tab on the front forums page (because there were recent comments). You should be able to find it easily in the blogs even if it gets buried there, too.

2 minutes ago, Gram Neutral said:

In my two interviews I shared a room with someone in both. 

How did it go?

Not knocking the roommate situation: it makes sense that this is the most cost-efficient way for schools to manage all their interviewees. But as someone who has had horrible experiences with roommates, I'm a little wary. After all, you're rooming with a complete stranger and technically a...competitor. I know I'm definitely being paranoid, but I guess I'm a little curious as well.

10 hours ago, apple93 said:

That post was actually mine. I emailed a Sarah Bottger and she said they were definitely done. I'm also super bummed.

10 minutes ago, ruckaround said:

Anyone else wake up this morning and check their email, as if an invite might've gone out overnight? :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed for everyone hoping to hear back today!

Yup. One more day of crazy waiting period and then I can start thinking about interviews.

31 minutes ago, Jmoney$$ said:

Yup. One more day of crazy waiting period and then I can start thinking about interviews.

I've got one more week.  Rockefeller sends out all notifications next week. :wacko:

Oh I had a question for interviewing I just remembered.  Do the women on here who have interviewed usually carry some sort of bag with them?  I have a padfolio thing but I don't know where I'll put any of my stuff otherwise.  I was thinking about bringing my leather backpack (does anybody remember the one Princess Mia had in Princess diaries?  It's the same deal.:P) but I don't really know.  You know, a place to have a water bottle, your phone, a wallet, and to carry like gloves/a hat if we go outside.

Edited by biochemgirl67

1 minute ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Oh I had a question for interviewing I just remembered.  Do the women on here who have interviewed usually carry some sort of bag with them?  I have a padfolio thing but I don't know where I'll put any of my stuff otherwise.  I was thinking about bringing my leather backpack (does anybody remember the one Princess Mia had in Princess diaries?  It's the same deal.:P) buti don't really know.  You know, a place to hhave a water bottle, your phone, a wallet, and to carry like gloves/a hat if we go outside.

I have a leather tote that will fit a padfolio, water bottle, and change of shoes plus gloves, etc. My friend who has been interviewing at medical schools has the same type of thing. As long as you're not fiddling with it and it looks nice I'm sure you're fine.