UK vs US Phd

healthypsych

Hi everyone!

So I am about to finish my MSc in Health Psychology in the UK. I got my BA in psychology in the US. Now is the time for me to consider PhD programs. I want to go into clinical health psychology and my research interests are on medication adherence (behavior change). I am trying to figure out what programs to look at in the US as I would ideally like to come back but I am not having much luck finding the ideal match. Also I want to consider the pros and cons of coming back vs doing a phd here in the UK. I know the perk of doing my phd here is that its only 3 years vs however many years I would have to do in the US. I was wondering if any of you have any advice/ suggestions? Thanks!

I know the perk of doing my phd here is that its only 3 years vs however many years I would have to do in the US.

This isn't always a perk because when you graduate you'll be competing for jobs against people with >3 years of publications.

Yeah that thought did cross my mind but I have two publications already (one from my undergrad and one from my masters) and one manuscript in preparation from this past year. I do see your point though!

HealthyPsych, I too am in the UK (albeit about to start my MSc) and I've chosen to apply solely to US schools for my PhD. There are many things that appeal to me more in the American system - firstly, as has already been said, more chances for research publication, there's also more money (at least in my area), most of the best research is coming out of the US, teaching is way more integrated into the system there and the PhD system is much less isolated over there (again this may be field specific). I admit, these are just my impressions from my own research and choices, but I personally feel a 3 year PhD in the UK was going to be more detrimental to my future career than one in the US. I also get the impression the American system is held in higher regard globally.

My 2 cents anyway