Low GRE means failure of application for biology program of top school?

Kikyo

Hi guys,

I'm an international student and plan to apply for cellular biology Phd programs in United States. My GRE score is very low, just 146V 167Q and 86 Toefl. But I have 3.9 GPA, 2-year scientific experience, summer research experience in United States and 3 good recommendation letter. Is it true someone like me will be rejected just according to my GRE score? Admitted by top school, such as Stanford and UPenn is impossible? I will retake GRE and Toefl this month, do you have some suggestions?

Look forward to your reply. 

While no one can possibly say if you will, but you might, given that low GRE scores tend to reduce your chances. Good luck on your retake though!

As for TOEFL, it's fine as long as it's above the minimum. A good score could help with your chances in getting a TA, and could help redeem a poor AWA score (from what I know). And since the TOEFL is already easy, it helps to practise the your pacing and note-taking for a good score.

Hope that helps.

Hi Kikyo,

Most Programs provide information on their respective websites about 'class profiles' (score information, minimum requirements, etc.) so that applicants can have a basis for comparison (for their own profiles). If that information is not available, then you should contact the Schools directly; the Admissions Officers should be able to directly answer any questions that you might have.

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich