GRE scores-retake?

Hey guys!

I just took the GRE and received a score of 161 V and 162 Q (haven't gotten AWA yet). I know those are high scores, but I'm applying to schools like Columbia, NYU and BU. Is it worth a retake, even just for more chance of funding or GA positions? I also just like seeing if I can improve for myself.

Thanks!

It's up to you. But I got into 2 of those schools (wait listed then declined to be on wait list at BU) with a few points lower on both. I got some financial aid from both, but did not apply for GA positions so I can't speak to that. Really your application is not about one thing. It's how you present the things you have as fitting with that school. Having good scores is necessary to some degree, but plenty of students in this field work to earn high GPA/GRE scores so what else sets you apart? A lot of schools are looking for diverse cohorts and want people with different experiences to build a strong cohort for their program.

Honestly your scores are super solid. And it looks like you have a lot of other good things going for you. It would probably be beneficial to spend that time writing kick-butt SOPs. And you can save that $200 for other expenses or the apps themselves. But I can't say much about funding or those schools.